“Awesome Find!”
Review of University Inn

University Inn
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for three nights and I have to say it was great. Having never been in Minneapolis, I had no idea where to stay and struggled with making a choice. I was leaning towards a downtown hotel (for no particular reason) but didn't want to pay for parking when I came across the University Inn. From their website it looked like it had character and from views on Google maps it looked to be in a nice area. After staying here, I can say that I don't think I could have made a better choice for our trip! The hotel was clean, the staff friendly and we loved the location. It is on the edge of Dinkytown, a great little area with cafes, coffee shops and restaurants. The room was clean and comfortable with a kitchenette complete with microwave, stove and full size refrigerator. It also turned out to have Wi-Fi, which we hadn't expected, based on previous reviews (and great Wi-Fi I might add). I booked the room by calling the hotel directly. They were very friendly and gave me a better rate than advertised anywhere, and I didn’t have to prepay. And yes, they have a parking lot, no charge!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dale B

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Loved this hotel. great place, neat room, good service, great lactation - close to the downtown, yet in the quaint. . great small urban hotel.

will be back - found a new place to stay when we come back.

and to boot... FREE PARKING

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barrscott
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here with my three college buddies while visiting University of Minnesota for a football game. It was perfect for us: a good sized room with a little kitchenette. It was nothing fancy, but for four guys in their upper 20s the value could not be beat. Short walk to campus/the stadium/restaurants/bars.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Room 106:8/29-8/30/2012
Sink drain didn't seal.Had to fill 4-5 times to shave.
Tub filled w/3" of water during shower. Took 5 minutes to drain.
Toilet handle had to be pulled up for toilet to refill.
A/C compressor,when operated at 100%, vibrated both beds during the night.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My only regret is that my family and I did not stay here on our last visit to Minneapolis. I was dissuaded in particular by previous reviews that reported rooms that were noisy, dirty, or smell, and poor service.

I couldn't believe I was in the same place as the negative reviews. This is one of the most comfortable hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. The bed was extremely comfortable. The room is spacious, as is the bathroom. Everything was clean, especially the inside of the full-size refrigerator.

Service? It depends on what you mean. No they do not provide daily maid service, but I find that more of a nuisance than a plus. I rate the staff tops for service based on their general friendliness, willingness to offer helpful information, and also the generosity of the night clerk who gave me a bottle of water from his own stash (refusing payment) when I inquired if there was another drink machine because the one I had tried was out of water.

The walls are made of cinder blocks. I have not heard my neighbors. There is some noise from cars traveling down a busy street, but it did not bother me. I didn't even notice it until I re-read other reviews before writing this one.

The full kitchen is great.

True, they do not offer wi-fi in the rooms, but the wired Internet service is great, and they loan Ethernet cables to guests who need them.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stay at University Inn on a fairly routine basis in the fall. The negative review on tripadvisor was NOT for UI but for the University Hotel, the former Ramada Inn close to TCF. This is a no-frills, clean, great value with free parking in Dinkytown.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank beagletwinsmama
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel, very near the U of MN/Minneapolis campus is a fine hotel if you don't need amenities. I mean there is no in-room wifi, the TV remote control didn't work well, and the channels are limited, and the front doors lock at 6pm. But it also has a full kitchen (full sized refrigerator, cooktop, dishes, etc). It also has a built in hair dryer. There IS wifi in the lounge. And the room was spacious. The room walls are partly concrete (nicely painted) and that interferes with in-room wifi. The price is far less than area hotels. So overall - this is a nice place for the price. Note it is next to fraternities and sororities (not known for quiet nights). We heard some noise in the early evening (8pm) but none after 9pm. I'm not sure if we were just lucky. I doubt there was a pool and there was no restaurant (some starches were available for breakfast).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple