“Excellent hotel for Generation X”
Review of aloft Minneapolis

aloft Minneapolis
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I read alot of negative reviews for this property and in reviewing them, they seemed to come from a lot of older people, meaning what I would assume are over the age of 40. I am in the hospitality sales business and do a lot of work for the Starwood brand and this was the first Aloft I stayed at. It is a contemporary hotel, very cool, chic and progressive in their design scheme. I found the room to be functional. Work space for the desk, TV and bed. They offer a free complimentary bottle of water which other hotels charge $3.00 or more for 20 oz. To address some of the complaints by other guests.

Drunk people running around / doors slamming: My stay was quiet. While it was a Tuesday night and not a weekend I have no complaints about hearing doors close loudly.

No where to sit and watch tv: TV is mounted on the wall across from the foot of the bed. There is a desk chair to sit in if you choose but no other chair. Are you at a hotel to sit in the room and watch TV all day in a chaise lounge??? If so, this s not the hotel for you!

Window coverings don't offer total blackout: Again, contemporary hotel, they blackout window coverings are a roller shade with sheer over top. There is slight light leakage with the roller shade as there is with any window covering!

There is no valet parking but the garage is VERY close to park.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for aloft Minneapolis

Reviewed January 31, 2011

We had a gift certificate from our anniversary so we booked a baby sitter and a room. The hotel was very clean and modern. It reminds me of some of my favorite hotels in Stockholm. I think the price is reasonable. There is no parking but there is a parking garage across the street. We were on the 5th floor and there is A LOT of city noise. Yes, we are in downtown MPLS so that is to be expected. We also had a problem with drunk people running up and down the halls/screaming/laughing at 3am (after bars closed). That kept me up. They only provide 2 very small pillows. We had to laugh about it but we called for more and they brought up 2 great pillows in less than 5 minutes. We had a nice night out and had a few drinks at their bar. Dogs allowed as we saw a couple. I would stay at Aloft again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Just returned from a stay at Aloft Minneapolis. The hotel is not quite in the heart of downtown but is close enough to get there quickly and cheaply. Its actually across the street from the Guthrie Theatre (if you have a chance, go check out the views from the 4th, 5th and 9th floors). The hotel itself was clean and the staff friendly and helpful. This is not a hotel for someone looking for a conceirge or a spa but it is clean, comfortable and had all the ammenities for a relaxing stay. There is a pool and whirlpool plus a well equiped fitness room. The bar in the lobby is relaxed and inviting and has 2 happy hours from 5-7pm and 10-midnight. Breakfast is complimentary before 10am but we never tried it out to comment on it.
The rooms are very modern but comfortable - think IKEA openness and utilitarianism. The beds and pillows were nice as well. Each room has a fridge too.
Since the hotel is not in the heart of the downtown area (its actually in the Mill District which is historic and a bit trendy), the Aloft has a free shuttle available. We requested a shuttle to take us to the Nicolette Mall area and he was out front in less than 5 minutes. When we called for a pickup, he was back in 15.
All in all, I would stay here again - no question.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 8, 2011

Rooms felt very mod/European, comfortable beds. A bit far from downtown hubbub for walking but taxis are cheap and frequent. Clean, a bar area in central atrium. Geared toward a younger but classy clientele. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2010

Decent hotel, small rooms. There was cracks on the ceiling and as much as I love "funky" modern hotels, there needs to be some functionality. Closet is non-existent, just a curtain over a cubby hole. Ya, there's a big TV, but nowhere to sit and watch because it's in a poor location.

$3 for a 20oz bottle of pepsi? Maybe at the W, but not here. Oh ya, throw pillows on the bed, no real pillows, just hard throw pillows instead...kinda like what you'd put on your couch for decoration.

Furthermore, they kept a $400+ hold on my credit card for 6 days after checkout! I stay at ALOT of hotels (even other Aloft hotels) and have never even noticed a hold. The room was $185 for my one night stay and I had $400 hold?! I spoke to the manager and got the run-around on top of him being rude.

Aloft hotels are great, but not this one!!

Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank harri7049
Reviewed November 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel because we had tickets to the Guthrie and wanted to stay in town. The hotel is beautiful and decorated nicely. We had a room facing the Guthrie and Gold Medal Park. It all sounds like it would be a lovely stay right? WRONG! When we checked in, we passed a group young kids who were having a spitting contest into the bushes and using super foul language. The hotel check in clerk told us that a bus of sports fans had just pulled up and rented a lot of rooms that night. My husband and I went to the Guthrie for our show and had a marvelous time, we went to bed at 11pm only to be awakened by someone pounding on our door. It was a super drunk young lady who couldn't find her room. The rest of the evening and morning was spent being awakened by the sound of fire doors being slammed and drunk idiots not able to find their rooms or not being able to get into their rooms. This hotel is loud and not for anyone who wants to sleep through the night. If you are young and want to get absolutely so trashed that you can't find your own room... this is the place for you. We will not be back.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank grhofmann
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Not reallyes sure management gets that aklowing large buses to idle in front of your hotel all the time is really not a great way to bring comfort ando scilence for your guests they seem to be clueless to this problem

• Stayed: November 2010