“Hip, but not upscale”
Review of aloft Minneapolis

aloft Minneapolis
Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed June 28, 2009

A friend and I got a amazingly cheap rate ($65 a night0 on hotels.com, making our stay at Aloft great. I probably wouldn't have felt that it was worth much more (although I'm sure they take a loss on that rate, so some more is probably fair). The beds are comfy, and two queen beds was great for us. The staff was extremely helpful, changing our rooms to the quieter side of the building (ask for the Mill Park side if street noise bothers you). The location is great -- the new Guthrie is gorgeous and the Mill Park is too... lots of restaurants and not too far for walking downtown.

Still, the hotel has the feel of being a hip dorm room, and isn't very cozy. It was great as a base for being in the city, but I wouldn't have wanted to spend a lot of time in the room. The hallway floors were dirty, but the rooms were clean.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 26, 2009

We recently stayed 7 days and 6 nights at the aloft minneapolis. Our flight got into MSP super early and we headed straight for the hotel. The woman at the front desk didn't even blink an eye when we came to check in at 7am without any warning! She got us into a room right away and also an underground parking spot. She offered us free coffee and we sat in the ultra hip lobby as she got our reservation squared away. She came to me to sign everything and was so helpful.

We rented a car because we were going to be driving all around town. The hotel has a few spots in their underground parking their share with the neighboring condos. The spot was designated and only $15 a day vs. the municipal parking lot that charges $8 every time you come in... no ins and outs. The underground parking allowed us to come and go as we pleased and we were even given a garage opener. To gain access back to the hotel, you need to use your room key. This garage is very small and safe!

There isn't a restaurant in the hotel. They do have a convenient store setup. Great sandwiches, AMAZING dulce de leche cheesecake, drinks by the bottle, etc. It is a little high, but you're paying for convenience. Also located in the lobby, is their w xyz bar, pool tables, lounge area, and fireplace. This area is very trendy and hip and fills with posh-types in the evening.

The rooms weren't as small as everyone on here alluded to. They had just enough room to serve their purpose- Sleep! We found the room to be very comfortable. We had a view of the Guthrie theater and downtown. This hotel is only .3 miles from the Metrodome, which made our Twins game easy to walk to! The farmers market is only 2 small blocks from the hotel on Saturdays (and another weekday). Grumpy's is a great local bar that is just a block and a half south on Washington (the street the hotel is on).

All and all, we loved this hotel. We especially appreciated that it wasn't situated downtown and this made it quiet and easy to get to and from with a car. The light rail is close by and takes you directly to the airport or mall of america! We will always stay at the aloft when we come to minneapolis! The price, service, and location were unbeatable!

Check out Corazon, a store half a black down on washington that sells locally made art, crafts, and goods!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank srfangel33
Reviewed May 30, 2009

We were in Minneapolis for two baseball games and chose this hotel for its proximity to the Metrodome and because it was offering the lowest weekday rate of any of the hotels in that area. If you like minimalist, loft design you will love this place. I am not personally a fan of this type of decor, but the hotel was satisfactory for a short stay. On the plus side, the bed was very comfortable, the shower was huge and well-equipped with body wash and shampoo/conditioner, the flat-screen TV had a great picture (though it was mounted too high on the wall for comfortable viewing) and the desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful. There is convenient parking next door in a city-owned garage.
On the minus side, there were no drinking glasses (either glass or plastic) provided. There was bottled water, but a hotel that purports to be green perhaps should encourage guests to drink tap water. Using your cardboard coffee cup to brush your teeth is less than optimal. The in-room coffee was weak, the room was a little small (ok for two nights, wouldn't want to stay a week) and traffic noise from the street outside our second-floor room made sleeping difficult. There are no drawers, just open shelves, and minimal space for hanging clothes. We paid $109 per night, the card on the back of the door said the rate for the night was $799! Doubt they would ever be able to get anywhere near that.
To sum up, this room will really appeal to people who would enjoy living in a loft. It's location can't be beat for visits to the Metrodome or the Guthrie, and it's rate is terrific, for as long as it lasts. No doubt it will go up as the hotel becomes more established.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2009

We were in Minneapolis for plays at the Guthrie and baseball at the Metrodome. and this hotel is perfectly situated for those events. Literally across the street from the Guthrie and 2 blocks from the Metrodome. Staff was superb...friendly, efficient, professional. The room was very modern looking (I liked the overall look of the place) and the room was on the small side. Plusses: Great shower and the wireless Internet connection worked very well. Negatives: No fitted sheet on the bed; leaky shampoo container in shower; no comfortable place to sit in room; no drawers for storing clothes.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2009

After reading several conflicting reviews on here, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised!

The Location: If you are here to have fun, pretty much the perfect location. The riverfront, Guthrie Theater, as well as tons of bars and restaurants are all very close. If you are here on business, you are a mile or so from the downtown business area.

The Vibe: Fresh, young and edgy. This place is brand new. It certainly doesn't have the feel of a typical hotel - it's very Euro. If you are looking fro luxury, looks elsewhere. If you are open to something different and fresh you'll love it. This is the perfect place to stay with friends, like I did.

The Room: Very cool. I had a room with 2 queen beds. The room was average-sized, certainly not small. Very comfortable fresh bedding and great pillows. Great desk area facing the window with a "hookup" box for all your connections. Large flat-panel TV.

The Bathroom: Loved it. Huge area with a separate toilet/shower area (stand-up shower, no tub). The Bliss toiletries were a nice treat. Really could not ask for anything better.

The Lobby: Probably one of the coolest "hotel bars" I have ever seen. There were always an eclectic mix of people to make it interesting. It's truly fun to hang out, have a drink, watch the people, and enjoy the cool space. You can see through the courtyard area into the pool area, making it all the more interesting. And the drinks were not expensive in the least,

My Gripe: The room lighting is a bit awkward. I never could quite get it to the "cozy" level. The CFL lights are a big harsh. Also, the climate control system never did get my room perfect. It's a "window-type" unit. I don't know why they didn't build this place with a central system. It's workable.

Sum it up: Loved it. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank GEOFFS3
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I was traveling on business and our group was staying there. I checked out the website, and thought it looked like a great place. I was wrong. To start, the place isn't marked very well. When driving up, there is no indication as to where to park, or where to even enter the hotel.
The rooms are so small, you can barely turn around. There is nothing comfortable about them.
There really isn't a closet, or at least a place big enough to hang two pairs of pants and three shirts.
At first glance, the bed looks comfortable, but it is like sleeping on boards. I figured a new mattress would at least be comfortable, but I have beds in college dorms rooms that are softer and more comfortable.
The staff is very friendly, and helpful though, but unfortunately that doesn't make up for a miserable stay.
Unfortunately, I've had better nights at the Super 8.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank chicagotraveler32
Reviewed May 7, 2009

I recently stayed at the aloft Hotel for a quick weekend getaway, and had a great time! I took advantage of a special discounted rate online that was totally prepaid before I checked in. It just required that I not cancel or change my reservation, but my dates were locked in stone, so it worked for me!

The rooms were clean, the bar was really cool and the staff was super friendly. I would definitely recommend that anyone stay here. Neat vibe, and smells AWESOME!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends