“Fun!”

Ranked #27 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Miami, Florida
“Fun!”
Reviewed May 17, 2009

After reading several conflicting reviews on here, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised!

The Location: If you are here to have fun, pretty much the perfect location. The riverfront, Guthrie Theater, as well as tons of bars and restaurants are all very close. If you are here on business, you are a mile or so from the downtown business area.

The Vibe: Fresh, young and edgy. This place is brand new. It certainly doesn't have the feel of a typical hotel - it's very Euro. If you are looking fro luxury, looks elsewhere. If you are open to something different and fresh you'll love it. This is the perfect place to stay with friends, like I did.

The Room: Very cool. I had a room with 2 queen beds. The room was average-sized, certainly not small. Very comfortable fresh bedding and great pillows. Great desk area facing the window with a "hookup" box for all your connections. Large flat-panel TV.

The Bathroom: Loved it. Huge area with a separate toilet/shower area (stand-up shower, no tub). The Bliss toiletries were a nice treat. Really could not ask for anything better.

The Lobby: Probably one of the coolest "hotel bars" I have ever seen. There were always an eclectic mix of people to make it interesting. It's truly fun to hang out, have a drink, watch the people, and enjoy the cool space. You can see through the courtyard area into the pool area, making it all the more interesting. And the drinks were not expensive in the least,

My Gripe: The room lighting is a bit awkward. I never could quite get it to the "cozy" level. The CFL lights are a big harsh. Also, the climate control system never did get my room perfect. It's a "window-type" unit. I don't know why they didn't build this place with a central system. It's workable.

Sum it up: Loved it. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank GEOFFS3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Chicago
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I was traveling on business and our group was staying there. I checked out the website, and thought it looked like a great place. I was wrong. To start, the place isn't marked very well. When driving up, there is no indication as to where to park, or where to even enter the hotel.
The rooms are so small, you can barely turn around. There is nothing comfortable about them.
There really isn't a closet, or at least a place big enough to hang two pairs of pants and three shirts.
At first glance, the bed looks comfortable, but it is like sleeping on boards. I figured a new mattress would at least be comfortable, but I have beds in college dorms rooms that are softer and more comfortable.
The staff is very friendly, and helpful though, but unfortunately that doesn't make up for a miserable stay.
Unfortunately, I've had better nights at the Super 8.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank chicagotraveler32
Chicago
Reviewed May 7, 2009

I recently stayed at the aloft Hotel for a quick weekend getaway, and had a great time! I took advantage of a special discounted rate online that was totally prepaid before I checked in. It just required that I not cancel or change my reservation, but my dates were locked in stone, so it worked for me!

The rooms were clean, the bar was really cool and the staff was super friendly. I would definitely recommend that anyone stay here. Neat vibe, and smells AWESOME!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Green Bay
Reviewed April 14, 2009

Let me begin by saying that I never actually got to stay at Aloft (although I did pay for staying there). The week that I was supposed to stay, I experienced two deaths of people close to me. The second death was that of my Uncle. The funeral was scheduled for Saturday (the day we were supposed to stay at Aloft). I really needed to be there for my aunt (who had just married him in November). I contacted the hotel and informed them that I would not be staying. Not only did they REFUSE to refund my money, but they wouldn't allow me to reschedule or anything. They told me that they couldn't change the "non-refundable" policy. Their employees were not friendly and the management that responded to my Customer Service inquiry did so with an unsympathetic, two-sentence response. This non-accomodating experience has made me determined to never stay with Aloft in the future and make sure that people know that Aloft hotel is like this. I hope that my story can influence others. I'm a college sophomore who is out $180.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JitterBug589
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 30, 2009

The staff is very helpful. When I went to the front desk and told them I couldn't find the iron and ironing board, she offered to come upstairs and show me herself. And that wasn't the only time when the staff really seemed as though they wanted my stay to be the best ever.

Unfortunately, the design of the room - while hip and nice - is not very efficient. Many of the things that I'm used to - and I travel quite a bit - weren't there, like the book that is usually on the desk in the room that tells you how to find everything you need in the hotel and the area, and no glasses, only two paper cups - which, if you use them both for coffee and tea, leaves you with nothing to brush your teeth with, and a headboard/tv placement that doesn't allow for real comfortable sitting up and watching tv before bed.

There's no real reason to not stay here: it's very clean, the staff is very helpful, there's a fitness center with up-to-date equipment - but there's nothing that makes me enthusiastic about recommending it either.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank jylze
Saint Paul MN
Reviewed February 26, 2009

We reserved a room with a king online, and when we got there, the clerk informed us that there were actually no kings available, so we had a double king. We said we didn't want it, but then were told we had already paid for it, and were unable to receive a refund. Later we were informed by a different person that we could have gotten a refund. The staff needs to know their stuff a little better. The rooms were okay, but small, and the atmosphere was really stuck up and hoity-toity... I wouldn't recommend this place for the price.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mariamercedes7
Fargo, ND
Reviewed February 24, 2009

The hotel was interesting. The rooms are like hip college dorm rooms, but that is not always a good thing. The beds were very comfortable but the one thing that kept me awake all night was the LOUD air conditioner. It sounded like a cheap hotel system that turned on and off all night long. If you are watching TV, then turn the volume up when it comes on. I had reservations there for two months later and called to see if the heating system was as bad and they said yes. I guess it is a energy efficient system that really needs some major work. If it were not for the noise on the systems, I perhaps might stay again, but just can't make myself have another sleepless night.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business