“Great location, refreshingly different” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
aloft Minneapolis
Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great location, refreshingly different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

As you enter, there's a pool table to the right, a circular reception area to the left and refrigerator case with yogurt, sandwiches, drinks and snacks. Not your usual hotel, which I consider a virtue. It's informal, pared down to the basics without compromising quality. The location is excellent: easy access to the Interstate highways, half a block to the Guthrie Theater, the Minnesota Center for Book Arts Center. While you can get an adequate breakfast, some pre-made egg sandwiches, cereals, fruit etc. and they can cook up fresh eggs too. However, there are excellent restaurants across the street and the Spoon River Cafe near the Guthrie for other meals. The rooms have an unusual layout; the bathroom runs across the width of the room as does the parallel bedroom area. Happily the bed is not overloaded with unnecessary pile of pillows.
There's limited underground parking and another commercial parking lot nearby. The front desk clerks are friendly and helpful. I've stayed here three times, once while hosting a group of Russian visitors on a study tour. It's my place to go when in Minneapolis.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are the same.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelerBill34

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Appleton, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

The hotel itself has an attractive modern decor that I found appealing. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. The bed was VERY comfy. My few issues were with the room itself. The shower or showerdoor were leaky and so the toilet area was quite wet after the shower was used. Also there were some issues with the light switches not working all the time. It was random, so not really sure what that was all about, and also the outlet by the sink didn't work as my curling iron plug just fell right out of it - had to plug in by the mirror in the bedroom. not the end of the world, but it was annoying. Overall it was a nice place, but I'd expect things to work a little better for $120 a night.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Where do I start...let's just start here...We chose this place because it was pet friendly with no deposit for pets and it was 2 blocks from the Dome (which was great since we were there for the last Viking game and there was going to be plenty of drinking going on) The place was very nice..the rooms where clean and beds where comfy...I loved the modern style bathroom...the pool was nice but I wish the hot tub wasn't broken...seems to have been this way for some time now cause I believe I saw another review that said it was broken when they went there...we also liked the underground parking ($15 per day) since it was FREEZING the 3 days we were there...the gym was nice and the bar section was nice...not to our taste..(was a little to fru fru for us) and I LOVED the moving liquid pads on the elevator floor( I want some myself now) but that's where it ends...now here's where the not so fun part starts....first off...the pricing for their snacks are WAY to expensive...the sandwiches are basically your average gas station sandwiches but at a price of $8..a bag of chips $3..a piece of fruit $2 and I got a bag of gummy bears, which were $3 but it looked like they took a handful of a 99 cent bag of gummies and put them in a sandwich bag and slapped their logo onto it...they had a ALL YOU CAN EAT tailgate special on Sunday that was supposed to be $9 but we were charged on our bill $10 and THEN an EXTRA $1 for who knows what..to top it off..it WASN'T all you can eat and we were told we could only have 1 burger and 1 brat!!..so we were charged a total of $11, NOT $9 and all for a frozen burger patty that was grilled up along with a bargain brand brat... got a long island tea (which was $8) at the bar along with a Cuban sandwich (I believe it was $12), which was not good AT ALL and asked them to take it off my bill...it wasn't taken off until 1 day later when I told the desk clerk about it but I was charged $10 for the drink...NOT the $8 I was told..to top it off...the Hotel charged my debit card TWICE in the amount of $173.50!!..the 1st time I saw this, I told the manager and he quickly took care of it...then 24 hrs later when it happened AGAIN, I told the manager but this time NOTHING could be done since it was the weekend...not to mention that because of this HUGE "glitch" in their system..i spent $5 while out and about which of course put my acct in the negative putting 2 $35 overdraft fees on my acct...the manager gave us back PART of the 173.50 on the 2nd time, since nothing could be done and we had to have money to get home. Was HIGHLY disappointed about this because a GREAT hotel would have AT LEAST offered to pick up the tab for our snacks and drinks ($35) since because of this "glitch" in their system totally ruined our vacation...how?...because our money was balanced out to certain amounts for food, gas and here and there spending, we could no longer do the things we planned to do or what we wanted because of their "glitch" (this is what they called it) because it took over $300 not to mention the 2 overdraft fees which would make it OVER $400 out of our debit card...we literally had to pinch pennies just to be safe that we didn't spend any extra money that WAS FOR shopping, food etc.. No shopping was done and food that was supposed to be at a nice sit down place, was changed to fast food instead... to top it off...we drove back to our home in South Dakota on pins and needles, wondering if this "glitch" was going to happen again and we would be left stranded..talk about a HUGE let down.. we were offered ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in compensation..no gift certificate..no discount...not even a stick of gum...just, here's what u owe us (this is why we got only a part of our $173.50 the 2nd time)...sorry and see you later...we will NEVER stay here again... I don't care if it's at the entry way of the Dome...I don't want this to happen again...the ONLY good part that came out of this trip, was on our last night there, we met 3 really cool couples at the pool table...where we laughed, played pool and drank long into the night and I LOVED the desk clerk Michael...SUPER nice guy..

Room Tip: The whole 2nd floor is dedicated for those who bring pets, so if you have allergens, you might want...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

In Minneapolis for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The staff went out of their way to ensure we wanted for nothing!!! Exceptionally friendly check in! Their bar also served food which we were delighted to discover!! The rooms are a pleasant change from a typical hotel set up. We found our room to be peaceful and quiet which ensured our evening was restful! We will return!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at aloft Minneapolis, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for your kind review, we appreciate you sharing your comments with us. It is wonderful to hear our dedicated and friendly associated went out of their way to make your stay extra special and you enjoyed our modern design. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Minneapolis. Thanks again and take care!
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Only complaint I have is that the room was cold. The floor to ceiling windows did not keep out the very cold air, even with the blinds pulled. There are no chairs in the room, so to use my laptop, I had to use the desk. Ended up keeping the blinds pulled to keep out cold air, so I couldn't see the city. It was also noisy from the downtown noise.

I had prepaid for two nights but got called home for a family emergency. The Aloft was most understanding and made an exception for me and refunded the second night of the hotel stay. Thank you so much for doing that. The Aloft did not have to do that, but they did.

I was alone so the privacy issues others have written about was not a problem for me.

Room Tip: Get a high floor to stay away from street noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TravelingDays
Sarasota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

A new stylish yet affordably priced hotel right next to the Guthrie Theater. In the center of the up-and-coming neighborhood of restored condominium overlooking the waterfall that gave rise to Minneapolis and later to the General Mills. Rooms are efficiently designed with comfortable bedding and nice architectural details. Since it is not in the Central Business District a courtesy car service is provided on a very short notice with well informed drivers that will share their city highlights with you.Well designed lobby with illuminated bar becomes a warm milling place for the lodgers. Roomy gym would benefit from few extra weight machines. All staff young, perky, very helpful and courteous. It is a part of a hotel chain that has 60 locations around the world.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

I had a room at the end of the 3rd floor and it was very quiet. Didn't hear much street noise or people above. The room was clean and bright with big windows and a view of the city skyline. The bed was very comfortable with cozy sheets and comforter. Fridge in the room and bottles of water were a bonus. I like going to local cafes for breakfast so didn't mind that there is no restaurant in the hotel. The refuel station was convenient. Liked the cool, boutique vibe of the hotel. I really liked the location being next to the park. The only quirk was that the sliding door to the toilet and shower did not shut all the way leaving a 1 inch gap - Awkward. The door really should close all the way. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo