“Great service and super vibe”
Review of aloft Minneapolis

aloft Minneapolis
Ranked #30 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel. I love the decor and atmosphere as well as its wonderfully central location in Minneapolis' Mill District. But what struck me most was the excellent and friendly service we received. We wanted a handicap parking space but it was not available. The concierge made sure that instead we received a pass for the limited underground parking available in the hotel. My wife lost her cell phone and the manager helped me look for it (we eventually found it in the hotel shuttle with the aid of their sparkly driver). On our last night there we sat at their great bar for some drinks and the chef came out for some friendly chatter and comped us some liquor. All in all a fantastic experience. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for aloft Minneapolis

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I recall my mom and many others saying "you never get a second change to make a first impression". Right from the start things were poor.

Of the 2 people staff the front desk, one stayed on a phone, not talking, while a small line formed. She never did say anything, and eventually shrugged and hung up. Body language was "this call is more important than you". The other person was far too verbose, telling each and every guest about every amenity (those of us waiting probably memorized it by the time we were the primary subjects), even though it should have been clear we all don't need to hear about everything.

Decorating and vibe was trendy / modern / minimalist / kewl. (Not sure the right word, but definitely not your dad's best western.)

Hallways were loud, and seemed like echo chambers. (This assessment was validated when the bar rush returned.)

Rooms were very functionally designed. Unfortunately, some small concerns - bathroom sliding door wouldn't fully close (2 inch gap), small closet handing and storage area adequate only for tiny luggage, water pressure more like what you expect at an up-north cabin, mattress was the worst I can remember at a hotel in at least 10 years (maybe it was from my dad's best western).

Hoped for a nice lounge night at the end of the evening. However, hotel had booked a large birthday group (50+ people) with their own overly-distorted-loud-from-too-small-and-overpowered sound system. Why would a hotel with a cool bar allow the rest of its patrons to be overwhelmed?

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank djlund999
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed at the Aloft because it is a block from the Guthrie where I attended a workshop and a performance. I parked my car in the Guthrie ramp, a municipal ramp that has a people entrance right across from the hotel (cars enter the ramp across the street from the Guthrie). For $15 at check-in I got a 24 hour in and out pass for the ramp. Perfect! I also received a few bucks off for my stay because I was attending a Guthrie performance.
I got a pizza from Sarpino's delivered to my door in a half hour. In the morning I purchased a $5 egg/cheese/ham English muffin in the lobby and enjoyed it with the coffee provided in my room. These conveniences fit my busy schedule.
The room was very clean. Especially nice was a box on the room desk that had electrical outlets for personal electronic devices as well as input jacks to connect devices to the room's large TV.
Check-in was pleasant and the staff was friendly. I would stay again at the Aloft.

Room Tip: My room was a handicap room-- though I didn't request it. The sliding door on the bathroom does...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband stays at this hotel all of the time. He likes the accessibility to light rail and that the hotel has a shuttle to get him to his appointments.

And, I mostly liked it with the exception of the bathroom setup. Everything is just too close for comfort for me. I mean, the toilet stall door doesn't even close. I'm sorry, but I want privacy in that part of my life.

The room could also use a second desk-like chair. I looked at the pictures of other Alofts and some have them. I'm not sure why this location doesn't.

The WiFi is completely open, which is also a problem.

I figured out the lighting without much problem. But, the shower/toilet area is lit by only one bare bulb. Don't plan on seeing when using them. Also, even one bedside light is really too bright for the other person to sleep.

Note to housekeeping: Don't take away towels. Most couples need more than two a day.

All in all, though, I'd stay here if I was alone. I like this part of Minneapolis. I like the beds and bedding. I like the bar area. The people who worked their were service oriented and friendly.

Room Tip: I like the back rooms that look over the river.
Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel was very trendy. It is defintiely made for your business type vistor. It is a smaller type room with trendly placement of bed and shower and bathroom. this is not the type of hotel to spend all day relaxing and walking around. It is geared towards your professional crowd and younger client base. the bar was great looking and the decor was more bar like.

We were here for a wedding which we did not spend much time in the room and we were happy not to pay as much becasue we only realy used it to sleep.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The Guthrie is an architectural and theatrical marvel. I went to Minneapolis specifically to visit it and booked the aloft because it looked like it was the closest place to stay. What a nice surprise! Youthful, sassy, clean and hip, the aloft is the nephew of a W Hotel. Limited service but big on atmosphere. The beds are very comfortable and the bath is large and well lit. My only complaint would be the individual ac/heat units that are louder than central air and woke me up a few times. Loved their wxyz bar!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Dallas David
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This hotel is not your usual business Hyatt or Hilton. This hotel, however, is upscale, current, modern decour that represents the up and coming business professionals. It has a full exercise facility, upscale bar, smaller rooms that are clean and efficient.

For the no frills business traveler, this is comparably priced in the low $100 range.

Although there is no breakfast or dining on premesis, it is located in the mill district, near the warehouse district.. all urban renewal, new condos etc, It's right in the middle of the downtown business and night life. Good restaurants are close. Shuttle is free within 5 mile radius.

Large LCD TV, free wifi and input jacks for HDMI and audio ipods, ipads, iphones and kindles the hi tech additions are convenient for the connected business travelers.

Travel, sleep, work and play.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends