“Another option for me downtown”

The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #28 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Another option for me downtown”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I visit downtown Minneapolis often, so I wanted to give this hotel a try. I paid $87/night for a weekend stay (pre-paid rate) and I'm a platinum elite. I was "upgraded" in advance, to what looked like an exec suite, with larger sitting area - but I tried to check in early (around noon on a Friday) and was told the room was not ready. I did ask how long it might take "to be ready" and I was put off that the desk agent couldn't really help narrow the timing much. But, she took my cell # and agreed to call. At around 2:30pm the room was finally ready. The 2 things that make this property attractive are 1) Access to lightrail stop for government center, and 2) Access to skyway. The rooms were nice, not over the top, but nice. Bathroom was a walk in shower stall, which is ok for me. No free waters here, despite elite status. I was offered breakfast buffet coupons or extra points, due to no concierge lounge on weekends. All in all, it's an option and at a decent pricepoint, I'd consider it for the future. But, the rooms are not as large as the nearby Marriott City Center - where I've often been upgraded to the bi-level suites.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I hope you will stay with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Winona, Minnesota
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

The hotel was nice and in a great downtown location. Rooms were a little small but very nice. No pool or anything so if that's what you're looking for, look elsewhere. Nothing spectacular, but would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Joel D
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Thank you for staying!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Like others, the rooms are more than adequate but underwhelming. My rating is based on price because, I got this through a third party for about $65 a night including tax and it was well worth it. I would have been upset if I have paid over $100 for this room however, or the posted maximum of $750!

Cons:

A standard king just holds a comfortable bed with a chair barely squeezed in and a desk
Housekeeping did not refill coffee supplies as there was just one paper cup
Pillows are too soft (I never inquired about the possibility of requesting something else)
Horrible scratchy tp.
$5 charge for bottled water ($2 in vending machine down the hall)

Charging for water is more of an insult than simply not providing water at all. Rather than prey on travelers who are tired and thirsty, they could give guests .50 worth of water and the value of the good will that gesture would generate would be far greater than the $9.50 profit they might make on a couple of bottles of water.

Pros:

Nice lobby and friendly efficient front desk
Nice location but isolated at night without skyway access
Room was clean
ice spacious shower and counter in bathroom

I know most hotels in downtown charge for parking and also know to park in adjacent ramps for much less, so I don't believe the hotel should be downgraded for that. They don't own the ramps.

Another caveat that is not within the control of the hotel is the odd weekend/evening skyway hours. We wanted to walk inside (during one of the worst Minnesota winters in 30 years) to parking, bars and restaurants and most skyways close at 8 pm for no apparent reason - some sooner and some were closed on Sundays (including the one leading to the parking ramp we chose). On Saturday night we were rushing back to the hotel to beat the 8 pm skyway closing and ran into the security guard locking up. She told us her assigned building was manned with security 24/7, s why bother closing that skyways at all. It would certainly help tourism if skyway access and parking were more accessible on weekends.

At least I sort of knew all this before checking in. Its probably a rude awakening to those who expect to be able to explore the town and have a meaningful evening out without freezing to death. (This skyway issue is even worse if you leave your coat behind, expecting to be able to stay inside).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. You offer very constructive observations that will certainly be topic of discussion with our leadership team. I hope you will stay with us again soon.
MN
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Just stayed one night, the staff was excellent. Valet were very very good, front desk fast and efficient. When we were ready to check out I call the Valet for my car, by the time we checked out and walked to the valet area our car was coming up. How great is that? The room was clean and well appointed. Good location easy in and out. Like other reviews the valet parking is a little steep, would have been nice to have alternate parking on the web site.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay.
Wadsworth, Ohio, United States
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I rate all my stays at a hotel on a five-point scale (1= terrible, 3=what I’d expect, 5=exceptional) in the following categories. Unless otherwise noted, I’m looking for a comfortable, clean night’s sleep. I care little about free breakfast, gyms, and pools.

Fast check-in: 4
Overall room cleanliness: 4
Ability to control room temperature: 2
Softness of bath towels: 4
Comfort of bed/pillows: 4
Technology (good Wifi, accessible outlets, etc.): 4

Other notes on this hotel:
This place is an old bank and has some cool decorative features. The rooms are nice, nothing fancy. The bathrooms are pretty modern - I couldn't get the sink faucet to a comfortable temperature for the life of me. Convenient, off-street turnabout makes it a good place to get in and out of cabs.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon!
Becker, Minnesota
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Just spent a weekend here and was a little underwhelmed compared to similarly priced and situated hotels downtown Mpls. No complaints about the staff, the front desk and valet were efficient and friendly, giving us a map of the skyways. The valet parking is too expensive at $34 (others downtown are in the $25 range). The room was smallish, attractive, but no fridge and no free wifi. The bed linens weren't soft, and I think they were polyester instead of the soft cotton I've apparently grown used to as these felt scratchy. The tv was huge, on a swivel and they had HBO and Showtime. Bath products were not branded. It was conveniently located on the skyway system so never went outside on one of the coldest MN weekends in late February. All in all, there is nothing wrong with the place, it just didn't pop for me or stand out as a place I'd really want to visit again.

Green Features: Normally there's the little sign in the bathroom about re-using towels, but nothing here.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay. To help with options for your stay, there is a self-parking garage across the street available for a lesser rate and is connected to the skyways. Also, we have refrigerators available to our guests upon request should you like one in your room and complimentary internet for guests that are a part of our loyalty program. I'm glad that you enjoyed our staff and their service as well as other aspects of your stay. Thank you.
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed at the hotel overnight after a work function/get together, hoping for nothing more than a decent bed to lay in after a night on the town, I got that much, but at one hell of a price. 2 days later, in the course of checking my bank account, I found it 250 dollars lighter. I called the hotel to inquire, and they said someone had smoked in the room, and that was the charge... to the best of my knowledge, there were no smokers in my room that night, and even if there were, 250 dollars because you're maids had to spray a little extra febreeze that day is insanity. Now, March 4th, I awake to find another 150 dollar charge..!!! Idk what the cause is this time, but theirs no way my $80 hotel stay should cost me $480. I suggest if you don't want your bank accounts stolen from at will, you should stay at the Hilton about 8 blocks away, because these people will rob you blind. And as a final note, they do not reasonably deal with disputes either, I was hung up on, and no i was not being belligerent, and brushed off when I tried to state my case. Well, brush this off...

• Stayed March 2014
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for giving your feedback regarding your recent stay. I apologize that you have experienced issues with your bank account and would like to assist in any way I can. It is a hotel policy and city code that smoking is not allowed in the building. When there is evidence in the room that someone was smoking we charge a $250 fee to recover the room. To properly prepare the room for the next guest we treat the drapes, carpets and soft furniture to remove the smell. Our guests expect to have a clean and fresh smelling room upon arrival so we do all that we can to ensure this happens even after someone has previously smoked in the room. I hope this helps you understand the $250 charge and what we do to recover the guest room.