“Already booked another Staycation here in a couple of months” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis
“Already booked another Staycation here in a couple of months”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Being that I live in Minneapolis, staying downtown seems a bit cliched. But for this past weekend I did it for convenience. I always thought the Hotel Minneapolis appeared cool just based on the sign, so when it popped up with a deal through my Marriott account, I decided to book it. I am VERY grateful I did. The lobby is dark but in the swanky, expensive, cool way. Very reminiscent of some boutique hotels I have stayed at in NYC. The front desk staff was efficient, friendly and knowledgeable, even offering me a map to get around downtown. And I was pretty sure I had only booked a King room, but upon check in found that I had been upgraded to a junior suite. We had plans to go out for dinner before heading out to the reception we were attending downtown, but upon opening the door to our suite, we quickly changed our minds.

The junior suite is super spacious. High ceilings, the corner room of the building. Ours was on the 6th floor so the street noise was non-existent. The bathroom shower was fabulous. I am not sure if other reviewers figured out that you could have both the rain shower head and the normal shower head on at the same time, but I certainly did. And promptly took a ridiculously long shower just because it was magnificent. Fluffy, absorbent towels, with excellent toiletries offered by the hotel. (Lemon Verbena)

The seating area was very comfortable, with a cushiony couch and a chair the just made you want to chaise. Being that this is the 21st century and we all need our technology, I was super impressed with the amount and location of outlets. Outlets were available in the lamps on either side of the bed, the desk had outlets built into the top of it. And the bathroom outlet was on the wall near the mirror.

Room service was surprisingly good for "just room service". My sister got a burger and I got the chicken sandwich. The burger had a sauce for your fries that I recommend everyone order all of the time. It was reminiscent of a ranch meets caesar meets yummy in my tummy.

After being out dancing and imbibing, we came back to the room and settled in the amazingly comfy bed. A 2nd TV is mounted on the wall (the first mounted in the seating/lounge area of the room) and it was perfect to fall asleep to. After a great night's sleep we were awoken by the Bose alarm. So much better than the annoying beep of an alarm on my phone.

Breakfast was had at the buffet in the Max restaurant. And even the buffet was good. I especially liked how healthy food choices were abundant, and that there was an omelette stand.

Truly the ONLY downside I could say about this room is that the dresser wasn't near the bed, but rather by the seating area. The mini fridge and coffee maker were on top of it. But even I think that is a petty complaint. (Also, in room coffee? REALLY GOOD.)

I had such a nice relaxing visit to this hotel, that I have already booked it for a birthday "getaway" at the end of March! And for the All Star game festivities in July! I will be recommending this hotel to any friends/family/work colleagues that I have coming in to Mpls in the near future.

Room Tip: Book a junior suite!
Green Features: Made every effort to be eco-friendly! Notices about the towels and bedding changing practices. Each of the trash cans had a recycle bin right next to the garbage bin.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank bnucki
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you, I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. See you in March!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

I stayed in a classic king room. Nothing amazing, nothing terrible. The bathroom is quite spacious and bright, the bed comfy and strong. The actual space is limited in the room, every amenity is right on top of each other. I also perceived the room to be overwhelmingly orange/yellow looking, due to bad lighting. All in all, it was worth the expense ($90/night).

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate hearing our guests' opinion and will certainly take your comments into consideration when the time comes for a renovation.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in June for a friend's wedding. We had never been to Minneapolis before, and the location was a good central point for seeing the city.

Rooms were pleasant - a little small, but clean and nice enough. The layout of the lobby was a little sprawling, but attractive. We did not have dinner in the restaurant, but it was a nice place for a pre-dinner cocktail. We also had breakfast, which was just ok. Service was very friendly, which we appreciated.

Someone else noted the $10 taxi ride just to go a few blocks. I noticed that too, but we hailed a cab back that wasn't related to the hotel and they charged us the same thing, so it seems like maybe that's just the standard fare in that neighborhood.

Overall I would say this hotel is very nice for a Marriott property. It's not super high-end, but perfectly adequate and a decent price for what you get. I would stay there again on my next trip to MN.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel.
Chapel Hill, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

After looking at the information on the web, I was really surprised by the quality of this hotel. I thought it would be fine, but it far exceeded my expectations. The room was somewhat small but very welcoming, clean and cozy with a very comfortable king size bed. The large bathroom with its large walk in shower and ample vanity space was a huge plus.

This room was just what I needed in sub-zero weather, and I appreciated the fact that the heat was easy to regulate and worked well. The next morning, at -16, I was even happier to have easy access to the skywalk.

The room featured a nice large high window, but the view was directly into the offices next door. Felt like you could almost touch the next building. Not an issue for a one night stay, but for several days it might become an issue. Really couldn't tell how much light came into the room. Not uncommon in a city setting.

This one is a keeper.

Room Tip: Ask about a room away from the neighboring office building.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Julia S
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
I'm gald you enjoyed the hotel. Thank you for the review!
England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

Somehow, whoever designed this hotel did not get it quite right. The public areas are grand in terms of space, but lack any feeling of intimacy and food is pretty average. The bedrooms are a reasonable size, but need a bit of refurb. Having said that, amongst the most important things such as quality of sleep, the bed was extremely comfortable and even the pillows were excellent. There was a bit of the usual background air vent noise, though by switching off the heating overnight, it was not an issue. Everything was clean. However, it all seemed a bit drab and lacked style. The lighting was quite an assortment. The shower was large, but the spray was very high to reach to adjust and not terribly good. For a business stay, everything was there including a practical desk and convenient electric plugs. On the positive, all the staff were helpful and friendly. Price at $165 ++ was reasonable value. I'd stay again for the convenience of the location to both the CBD, the metro station etc., though it is a pity it could not be better as with this location and basic building, it could be made into a great hotel. Perhaps someone will do so, though presumably the prices would then cease to be so reasonable.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GBZASING
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate hearing our guests' opinions and will take all of your feedback about the style and decor into consideration when we look at making changes. I'm glad you were still able to enjoy your stay and appreciated the location, our beds and our friendly staff. Thank you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Although I've visited the Twin Cities many times, this is the first time I've opted to stay in downtown Minneapolis. Usually it's rather expensive, but in January you can pick up some great deals on the discounter sites.

The location of the hotel is great, just a few minutes' walk from the historic Foshay Tower and the Wells Fargo building. It is also connected to the Skyway system (although that has limited hours during weekends).

The decor in the hotel is very nice, although the lobby's lighting was a bit dark for my personal taste. The decor in the room was also really tasteful. I stayed in a king room, and although it was on the small side, it suited my needs just fine. It was very well-appointed and comfortable. The bathroom was also very nice, although there were a couple areas where housekeeping could've done a better job (there was some hair around that was easily visible and definitely not mine).

Service was very friendly and went above and beyond. The person who checked me in asked if I had any questions or if there was anything he could help me with, and I appreciated that. Everyone smiled and greeted me warmly. (Minnesotans are known for their genuine friendliness, but this hotel seemed to go the extra step.)

As other people have said, there are less-expensive parking options within blocks of the hotel. If you really need the convenience of valet, you will be paying a premium.

Overall, if I were to stay in downtown Minneapolis again, I would seriously consider staying here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the great feedback. I hope you will come stay with us again soon!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

I will start off by stating that I am a Marriott Gold member and really want to like this hotel. I travel to Minneapolis often and have found the Marriott properties by the airport to be less than stellar. I have now stayed at the Hotel Minneapolis three nights, and unfortunately, it has fallen short of my expectations. I'm not super picky, but I do expect the hotel to be clean. The hotel falls a little short on this measure. Also, if I am paying $200+ a night all in (room, parking, taxes, etc.), I expect that there will be a good exercise facility. I am not particularly impressed with theirs (also was not very clean). Two other items that weighed into my impression. 1). there are a number of rooms that overlook an alley. Almost no daylight comes into these rooms, and it feels like you are in a dungeon; 2). the front desk staff was not all that helpful or friendly. It is the small things that make a difference.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize that we fell short during your last stay. I will share your feedback about the cleanliness and staff service with our team so we can make the proper improvements moving forward. I hope you will give us a chance to better serve you again in the future.