“Warm and Cozy”

The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #29 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 26, 2014

After looking at the information on the web, I was really surprised by the quality of this hotel. I thought it would be fine, but it far exceeded my expectations. The room was somewhat small but very welcoming, clean and cozy with a very comfortable king size bed. The large bathroom with its large walk in shower and ample vanity space was a huge plus.

This room was just what I needed in sub-zero weather, and I appreciated the fact that the heat was easy to regulate and worked well. The next morning, at -16, I was even happier to have easy access to the skywalk.

The room featured a nice large high window, but the view was directly into the offices next door. Felt like you could almost touch the next building. Not an issue for a one night stay, but for several days it might become an issue. Really couldn't tell how much light came into the room. Not uncommon in a city setting.

This one is a keeper.

Room Tip: Ask about a room away from the neighboring office building.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Julia S
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

I'm gald you enjoyed the hotel. Thank you for the review!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Somehow, whoever designed this hotel did not get it quite right. The public areas are grand in terms of space, but lack any feeling of intimacy and food is pretty average. The bedrooms are a reasonable size, but need a bit of refurb. Having said that, amongst the most important things such as quality of sleep, the bed was extremely comfortable and even the pillows were excellent. There was a bit of the usual background air vent noise, though by switching off the heating overnight, it was not an issue. Everything was clean. However, it all seemed a bit drab and lacked style. The lighting was quite an assortment. The shower was large, but the spray was very high to reach to adjust and not terribly good. For a business stay, everything was there including a practical desk and convenient electric plugs. On the positive, all the staff were helpful and friendly. Price at $165 ++ was reasonable value. I'd stay again for the convenience of the location to both the CBD, the metro station etc., though it is a pity it could not be better as with this location and basic building, it could be made into a great hotel. Perhaps someone will do so, though presumably the prices would then cease to be so reasonable.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank GBZASING

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate hearing our guests' opinions and will take all of your feedback about the style and decor into consideration when we look at making changes. I'm glad you were still able to enjoy your stay and appreciated the location, our beds and our friendly staff. Thank you.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Although I've visited the Twin Cities many times, this is the first time I've opted to stay in downtown Minneapolis. Usually it's rather expensive, but in January you can pick up some great deals on the discounter sites.

The location of the hotel is great, just a few minutes' walk from the historic Foshay Tower and the Wells Fargo building. It is also connected to the Skyway system (although that has limited hours during weekends).

The decor in the hotel is very nice, although the lobby's lighting was a bit dark for my personal taste. The decor in the room was also really tasteful. I stayed in a king room, and although it was on the small side, it suited my needs just fine. It was very well-appointed and comfortable. The bathroom was also very nice, although there were a couple areas where housekeeping could've done a better job (there was some hair around that was easily visible and definitely not mine).

Service was very friendly and went above and beyond. The person who checked me in asked if I had any questions or if there was anything he could help me with, and I appreciated that. Everyone smiled and greeted me warmly. (Minnesotans are known for their genuine friendliness, but this hotel seemed to go the extra step.)

As other people have said, there are less-expensive parking options within blocks of the hotel. If you really need the convenience of valet, you will be paying a premium.

Overall, if I were to stay in downtown Minneapolis again, I would seriously consider staying here.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for the great feedback. I hope you will come stay with us again soon!

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I will start off by stating that I am a Marriott Gold member and really want to like this hotel. I travel to Minneapolis often and have found the Marriott properties by the airport to be less than stellar. I have now stayed at the Hotel Minneapolis three nights, and unfortunately, it has fallen short of my expectations. I'm not super picky, but I do expect the hotel to be clean. The hotel falls a little short on this measure. Also, if I am paying $200+ a night all in (room, parking, taxes, etc.), I expect that there will be a good exercise facility. I am not particularly impressed with theirs (also was not very clean). Two other items that weighed into my impression. 1). there are a number of rooms that overlook an alley. Almost no daylight comes into these rooms, and it feels like you are in a dungeon; 2). the front desk staff was not all that helpful or friendly. It is the small things that make a difference.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize that we fell short during your last stay. I will share your feedback about the cleanliness and staff service with our team so we can make the proper improvements moving forward. I hope you will give us a chance to better serve you again in the future.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I spent this past weekend at Hotel Minneapolis as a getaway weekend for the two of us. We had a lovely visit and very much enjoyed our stay. The staff was consistently pleasant and helpful and the room lovely and comfortable. Since we were there on a weekend, we got a very reasonable rate. We had brunch on Sunday morning and it was very good. We won't hesitate to stay here again and definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I was not really impressed with this hotel. I stayed here with 2 other people for New Year's Eve, and since it was freezing we decided to use the hotel's valet service out of convenience ($34 bucks). Had it been warmer we definitely would have saved some cash and used a public parking garage.

Also, due to the weather we had dinner at the hotel's restaurant. It took over 30 minutes from the time we ordered to receive our food, so that was annoying.

The room itself was frigid cold when we arrived; we cranked the heat up to 80 but it never really felt warm enough, even the next morning. They also neglected to restock toilet paper in the bathroom, and the coffee maker was broken, much to the chagrin of two caffeine addicts who desperately needed their morning fix after a night out.

We also used the hotel's taxi service to get to our event, which was only a few blocks away, and were charged 10 bucks. I probably sound cheap, but for $137 a night, I've had much better service & amenities at hotels. I couldn't believe that it was $10.95 to use the Wi-Fi, I thought that was something all hotels provided free of charge these days.

Overall it wasn't terrible, I just think they could have done a better job of providing basic amenities. On the flip side, the beds were really comfortable

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback about your stay. I apologize that you were missing a few of the simple necessities expected in a hotel room. I have followed up with our housekeeping team to ensure they are checking on these items, as well as with our Engineering team regarding the room not getting as warm as you wanted. This is the type of feedback I appreciate receiving so we can continue to make improvements. Thank you.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was my third stay at The Hotel Minneapolis. The first time the room was small but cozy; the second time the room had a sitting area (quite nice); and the third time we stayed in a large two room suite. The living room had a wet bar and just about anything you would expect to see in a living room. I thought it was beautifully decorated. The bedroom was large with a desk and sitting area. The bedding was wonderful - I slept like a baby. If you're looking for a view, this hotel does not have it - it's in the middle of downtown Minneapolis with office buildings surrounding it. Nevertheless, this is a beautiful hotel and each of our stays were great!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple