“Underwhelmed”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Torreon, Coahuila
“Underwhelmed”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I was not really impressed with this hotel. I stayed here with 2 other people for New Year's Eve, and since it was freezing we decided to use the hotel's valet service out of convenience ($34 bucks). Had it been warmer we definitely would have saved some cash and used a public parking garage.

Also, due to the weather we had dinner at the hotel's restaurant. It took over 30 minutes from the time we ordered to receive our food, so that was annoying.

The room itself was frigid cold when we arrived; we cranked the heat up to 80 but it never really felt warm enough, even the next morning. They also neglected to restock toilet paper in the bathroom, and the coffee maker was broken, much to the chagrin of two caffeine addicts who desperately needed their morning fix after a night out.

We also used the hotel's taxi service to get to our event, which was only a few blocks away, and were charged 10 bucks. I probably sound cheap, but for $137 a night, I've had much better service & amenities at hotels. I couldn't believe that it was $10.95 to use the Wi-Fi, I thought that was something all hotels provided free of charge these days.

Overall it wasn't terrible, I just think they could have done a better job of providing basic amenities. On the flip side, the beds were really comfortable

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback about your stay. I apologize that you were missing a few of the simple necessities expected in a hotel room. I have followed up with our housekeeping team to ensure they are checking on these items, as well as with our Engineering team regarding the room not getting as warm as you wanted. This is the type of feedback I appreciate receiving so we can continue to make improvements. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was my third stay at The Hotel Minneapolis. The first time the room was small but cozy; the second time the room had a sitting area (quite nice); and the third time we stayed in a large two room suite. The living room had a wet bar and just about anything you would expect to see in a living room. I thought it was beautifully decorated. The bedroom was large with a desk and sitting area. The bedding was wonderful - I slept like a baby. If you're looking for a view, this hotel does not have it - it's in the middle of downtown Minneapolis with office buildings surrounding it. Nevertheless, this is a beautiful hotel and each of our stays were great!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JasmineLane
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This hotel is awesome!! The rooms were very clean and quiet. The beds were really comfortable We truly enjoyed our stay. It was also located near a light rail platform so it was really convenient. We will stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you!
Minnesota
Reviewed December 21, 2013

When you walk in the doors, you immediately feel special at The Hotel Minneapolis. The character in the lobby is awesome and the staff makes you feel like you're the only person they're helping. My room was very clean and I liked the furniture a lot. Bathroom was nice and big, bed very comfortable and the view was decent for a downtown hotel. The bar area was fun and again the service was very good. I'd recommend this place to anyone who asked.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I appreciate the great feedback. Thank you!
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Although both times my husband and I stayed in the Hotel Minneapolis, over the past year, we found the rooms to be clean and staff friendly, we cannot recommend this establishment to others. Our last stay was the 1st week in September. We only stayed (1) night and had breakfast in the hotel restaurant.
Last month we noticed 2 separate charges, for small amounts, under $20.00 each, for the Hotel Minneapolis. When, the 1st charge came through in early November, assumed it was for something we may not have paid, like valet, room taxes, etc. When the 2nd charge came through, the week prior to Thanksgiving, and for another small amount, we knew something was amiss. Having NOT been in the hotel since early September, we know this charges were fraudulent. We called and spoke to "Brendan" in accounting, who very quickly and confidently told us he would make sure this does not happen again and will credit us for those previous bogus charges. I expressed my fear our credit card #, which is actually our debit card, to our checking account, is being used illegally. He assured us it is not and this mistake, which would not occur again. He said our credit card # would be deleted from the system.
Last night, another charge showed up again, this time over $60.00. I immediately called the hotel and spoke to 2 staff members. They had a similar story about the card key info not being erased. It is very disheartening to think they hold onto your credit card numbers for months afterwards and simply use them to make additional unauthorized charges. If one is not thoroughly sifting through their credit card statements, small charges like this, can be easily missed, especially if you frequent this hotel.
I wonder how many others this may have happened to and they simply are unaware?
Obviously, the Hotel Minneapolis, do not have safeguards in place to catch it, and their accounting practices are suspect, if our card is being used instead of other customers.
We stayed at various hotels, at least twice a month, for many years, and never had anything like this ever happen to us. It is an entire hassle to have our debit card being compromised to the extent we need to cancel it, and frustrating the Hotel Minneapolis financial operations is so lacking.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KMSMTWINCITIES
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. I appreciate you giving me the time to speak with you on the phone regarding your issues and, as I mentioned, all of your private information is secure. I look forward to having you stay in our hotel again in the near future.
Minot, North Dakota
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I stay in hotels ALL the time . This hotel was almost perfect. From reservation to checkout. The only complaint I had was the price for parking $34 per night, OUCH!!! At any rate the service was impeccable , front desk, valet parking people, bar waitress, breakfast waiter, were ALL courteous, friendly and very helpful. No complaints from us.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the great review!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I recently stayed at this property in downtown Minneapolis and it is my new favorite. It is conveniently located, accessible by skyway, and a short walk from the light rail. The management is excellent and very caring. Everyone who works there is extremely accommodating. The rooms are nicely sized. If you have are a Marriott frequent traveler with access to the concierge lounge, the facility can't be beat for breakfast or a light supper. There are plenty of hotel options downtown but this one stands out because the service is so good.

Room Tip: I stayed in a corner room and it was very quiet