“There is nothing remarkable or even really good - just blah” 2 of 5 stars

The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #28 of 50 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
“There is nothing remarkable or even really good - just blah”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The staff was snobbish and not very helpful. They couldn't figure out that my room was pre-paid, and asked for a $100 per night (I am here 4 nights) "incidentals charge" - no way am I spending $400 at the bar. I had checked luggage and had to go fetch it myself - they did offer to let me use their cart. I ordered a pizza - the front desk wouldn't let the guy deliver it (that is not uncommon) - but, there is no security on the elevators, he could have just come on upstairs. The front desk didn't even call my room.

The concierge lounge is...well, average. The light dinner at night is just plain BAD - two nights over sticky, overcooked, unflavorable spaghetti, stale crackers with cheese, and chex mix out of a tube machine. Breakfast was ok - just plain, nothing remarkable. They tell me the restaurant Max makes the food, and if so I would seek out a Golden Corral or Waffle House first :(.

The room I had was big - but the furniture was uncomfortable. The bathroom was big, but the normal-sized tub/shower had all kinds of handicapped equipment making it cramped. Housekeeping didn't replentish the soap or shampoo or mouthwash.

I am a Marriott Platinum member, and there are dozens of better hotels. This is one to skip, for the price. Check out the Renaissance Depot, the full-service Marriott or even the Residence Inn if you are brand-loyal. I guess to summarize, if this represented Marriott hotels overall, I would pick a different chain.

Room Tip: The hallways are weird for a hotel, the elevators are dirty. Don't stay on the second floor - i...
Green Features: I could really give a flying flip that their garbage cans are divided in 1/2 and that they don't wash the towels unless you ask them to.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Matt S
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for giving your feedback about your recent stay. We continually strive to exceed our guests' expectations but it is obvious we weren't able to do so throughout your stay. I apologize that our service was not up to par and that we missed several opportunities to better serve you. We are always making changes to our offerings in the Concierge Lounge and will take your feedback into consideration when doing so.
Again, I apologize that you were not pleased with your experience. Should you be back in the Minneapolis area we would appreciate the opportunity to deliver a better experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here for two nights after finding a great deal on Hotwire. The hotel was very nice and within walking distance from anything we needed downtown. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the room was very spacious and comfortable. We were set up in a handicap room so I am not too sure what the other rooms were like however. I found the bed and pillows to be very comfortable as well.

My only complaint would be the lack of free wifi, but this is typical in hotels at this level so I was expecting it to be expensive. There are lots of places around here that offer free wifi so when we needed it we would go out.

The room was very quiet and we never heard any outside noise or from the hallways.

I would definitely consider staying here again when I am back in town as I come here regularly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank prairiegirlwpg
Sibley, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The only parking was either pay $30.00 for valet parking of walk a block+ to pay to park. It was not mentioned on the website. They also say that there is a pool, according to the website, but there is none. My kids were very disappointed. The room was small, but the bed was comfortable. We got our room from Groupn, and they couldn't even find our reservation, first. It took a while.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Beautiful hotel that used to be a bank. Management works very hard to please the guest with there small rooms and limited food service. Great location away from downtown traffic. Parking is overpriced at 32 as night

Room Tip: 10th floor is the best
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Twinsburg, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is a unique hotel, certainly not a cookie cutter product. It is part of the Marriott Autograph Hotels and these are always a treat. The building lobby was an old bank and is a very inviting place to hang out. The lobby is attached to a restaurant (called Max), which I am not clear is part of the hotel or not. The drinks and bar experience both in the hotel lobby and The Max were perfect. The decor is difficult to describe but is sort of a modern Art Deco. The rooms were very nice, with attractive appointments and a great bed. I have stayed there twice and the rooms were identical -- longer and narrower than most rooms, but fine for a couple. It is about a long block away from the light rail.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Fairfield County, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We booked this hotel because of the price and we were intrigued by the history of the building. The first floor is a bit overwhelming because it is so modern and interesting and so unique but the front desk staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. The room was small and compact but the furniture fit the room well. The bathroom, however, was HUGE. The decor was trendy so don't expect a cookie cutter hotel. I like the way they have used the space. Great location on the quieter side of town yet within walking distance to so much. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were almost worried, staying downtown and getting this hotel for the price we were. In comparison to other hotels near by we were paying half if not more of what their rates were.

When we arrived we valeted our vehicle (pretty much mandatory for parking around here). The lobby is very swanky. They still have the old safe (the building used to be a bank) in the lobby. Check in staff was very helpful. They gave us area maps with restaurants and other points of interest.

The rooms were nice, clean, modern. Very oddly shaped though. No tub only a shower which wasn't an issue for us.

There is a restaurant and bar on site but we never went to it. It's walking distance to all sporting events and tons of bars, pubs and restaurants in the area.

CONS: wifi isn't free unless you are in the lobby, no complimentary breakfast, expensive room service charges

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple