“subaverage hotel” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Worcester, Massachusetts
“subaverage hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed for one night. Oredered in room dining. Mandarin oranges in the salad were extremely spoilt. I am not sure how they chef could be so complacent as to not notice them being spoilt and place them in the salad since they were very obviously spoilt. Corn chowder soup was ice cold. I had diarrhea for 2 days after I returned from my trip although I removed all the oranges after eating one piece. Management was nice enough to take the meal charges off my bill but the damage had already been done. Pillows were super soft and it was difficult to get a good night sleep. Shower head was not functioning properly and it was like a faucet instead of a rain shower. All in all a substandard hotel for a city like Minneapolis

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our property. We appreciate to hear our guests' point of view regarding their stay so we can share it with our staff and make the necessary corrections. Please accept our apologies for your unsatisfactory meal and discomfort with our pillows and shower. All of those items are key to an enjoyable stay which we obviously were not able to deliver to you. With your feedback we will be sure to continue making improvements to better serve our guests. It is our hope that you will give us another chance should your travels bring you back to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Golden Valley, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Enjoyed a Saturday night staycation at this downtown MPLS hotel after buying a deal on Groupon. When we checked in around mid-afternoon Jordan was at the front desk and was very nice and professional. We requested a higher floor room if possible and was able to find us one on the 8th floor (hotel has 10 floors). Check in was quick and off we went. The room was right by the elevator, but was not an issue at all. As I noted it was a Saturday night and we were expecting it to be noisy, but had no problems at all-no loud doors slamming, no noisy drunks off the elevator. This was a real treat because we have stayed at other properties that are considered "upscale" and have had a horrible nights sleep because of all the hall and door noise.

The room had a king-size bed that was super comfy and good pillows. Loved that the air temp was controllable. You could both set the temp and if you wanted the fan on, and even that you could do hi or low. We were able to heat it up when we got back from dinner and then cool it back down for sleeping, all with the fan on, which I'm sure also helps to block out noise. The room has blackout drapes that were also nice also. Bathroom was nice with plenty of towels for two. The shower looks fabulous until you use it. I am very short and once the shower is on, the water sprays in a cone-shape and the shower head is about 7 ft in the air, so barely any actually hits your head. Took a while to get my hair wet enough to lather with shampoo and then took some tricky tippy-toe action to get enough water to rinse. Need to be an NBA player to really get the full benefit of that shower.

One benefit of our Groupon was the $10 credit that you can use in the restaurant. We chose to apply our credit at the bar and was well spent. The bartender, whose name we didn't get, was very friendly and poured us a couple stiff drinks. Had a nice warm, buzz going on our walk out for dinner!

Had a great night out of the house at this hotel. I had stayed here for a function a few years ago and had a great time, so I was pleased little had changed. The room was comfortable and the staff friendly. We liked that it was a few blocks away from all the craziness that can sometimes go on in Minneapolis on a Saturday night. Would gladly return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Very nice hotel for business travel. Rooms are quiet, very clean and well appointed. The staff was attentive and the breakfast was very good. Overall the hotel and food was priced reasonably. The location is an old Minneapolis bank which has a lot of nice history.

Room Tip: Third floor was very quiet.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had to be in Minneapolis for a conference at the US Courthouse. I made reservations at the Hotel Minneapolis which is less than a block away. The hotel is lovely - room service was good and the Concierge Lounge had nice appetizers in the evening and a light breakfast in the morning. I did not eat at the Restaurant, but it looked very nice and the lobby of the hotel had some nice seating areas.

Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Hotel Minneapolis was a beautiful bank at one time and the history has been incorporated wonderfully without being overpowering. The space respects the architecture, but is updated and refined for the current purpose. Nicely appointed and comfortable rooms. We very much enjoyed our stay and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This was my third stay at this hotel. The front desk staff is great and very nice but that is where it ends. The rooms are average and comfortable as you would expect for an Autograph Collection. The food is only fair and the morning I had breakfast there was one wait person and very limited food items because they had no food. I have not eaten other meals there but in speaking with others it was nothing spectacular. The lobby is nice and usually quiet and the computers available to surf the Net are great.
The hotel is well suited for business travelers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had high hopes for this hotel. After making my reservation I received several emails asking me if I needed anything upon arrival. The emails provided a person's name which I thought to be very effective in conveying a personal touch.

However, my arrival felt very transactional. Any goodwill generated by the emails was wiped out by the automaton checking me in.

The room was smallish and the furniture a little cheaper than I would have expected. The bed was good and I appreciated the plentiful, easily accessible outlets. My room was quiet and I did get a good night sleep.

The concierge level was ok. I will say there was not nearly enough food for either evening apps or breakfast. That was disappointing as was the fact you had to use your room key card to get DOWN. Now, I am not sure if hotels have a big problem with people randomly going up elevators. I can see that and understand why you would use your key to go up. I don't like it, but I understand.

However for the life of me I can't understand why I need to use a key to get down.

Anyway, it was an ok hotel. You get Marriott points for staying. I might return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business