“Very nice property but location could be better”

Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis
“Very nice property but location could be better”
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at this property twice. It is an older building that was remodeled and converted to a hotel. That being said they did a very nice job making the conversion. The rooms are modern and decent size (yet smaller than a new construction hotel). The lobby has some character reflecting the old building. No major complaints about the building or rooms. Very nice.

Only issues are that valet parking is the only option and location. The location, while in downtown Minneapolis, is a few blocks from restaurants and activity. They are certainly within a 5 to 9 block walking distance but it does make it a bit inconvenient.

Would I stay here again? Sure. It is a nice property. But there are other options that are just as nice if you want to be closer to the action.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I have to go to Minneapolis quite often for business and this is the closest hotel to my office, so location wise it is the handiest of hotels for me. It used to be a DoubleTree before until Marriott took over the management and changed it into the new Hotel Minneapolis.
It used to be an average priced hotel with efficient service. Well, it changed. The reception and ground level area is still as impressive or even more than it used to be. But service is not efficient. I agree with other comments in this page that the reception staff lacks the attention and pro-activity that you expect for a hotel of this quality and especially of this price. I remember complaining about the fitness machines with at least half of the TV monitors not working. When I came three weeks later, the very same machines had the same problems and others had the monitors not working. The change in the breakfast service is also an issue. In the past, breakfast was served next to reception as a buffet or à-la-carte. Well, now it is only served in the restaurant Max à-la-carte, and service there is not the fastest on earth. And yes, at 7AM you have to look for the waiter in order to pay your bill.
The hotel continues to have a great location within walking distance of Nicolet Mall, very comfortable rooms (I have never had any issue with any of the rooms I have stayed in), although very different in size. But the changes, especially in service have not necessarily been for the better. And that is a pity, because it is a really nice hotel.

Room Tip: My experience is that corner rooms tend to be slightly larger. If noise is an issue, don't worry...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was my first stay at the hotel and with the price, I was expecting something luxurious. This was not the case. True, the beautiful lobby and the decor pulls you in, but that is all. The shower door does not fully meet the wall, which makes water spray all over the bathroom floor. BE SURE TO HAVE TWO TOWELS OUTSIDE OF THE SHOWER to minimize slipping. The bed was extremely uncomfortable turning what was supposed to be a restful night into a rest-free night. The towels were a bit hard and parking is outrageous!!!! Beware: The meters are enforced 8AM-6PM, yet at the same time, you cannot be parked there from 7-9 AM and 4-6 PM. We were ticketed. :-( NOT a good stay and no, we will NOT be staying here again. There are hotels with fewer stars and lower prices which are just as beautiful and the beds/linens are INCREDIBLE.

Room Tip: There is not a good room at all. Either you see/hear traffic, or you're looking at windows of ot...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lucretia A
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I'd never stayed at one of the Autograph Collection properties before but would certainly stay here again. It was a great surprise. The property is gorgeous, the staff is friendly, the rooms are very clean and chic, and it's located conveniently enough to the things we are interested in - sports venues, running trails and bars and restaurants. Something I was pleasantly surprised at was that the bar staff at this hotel didn't rush us to get out right at closing. I can't tell you how many hotels I've stayed at where they start turning up the lights, putting up chairs, vacuuming - pretty much anything to get you out because it's time to go home. It was refreshing that so long as there were guests there, they were going to take care of us. This may sound like a small thing, but it's very, very rare, so I figured worth noting. While this was my first trip to Minnesota, and I don't know how often I'll make it back, I'd definitely return here in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JP814
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is my third stay at this hotel. Each time, the desk was understaffed at check in, the attitude of the check-in people has been indifferent. Now my non-smoking room smells of smoke--ick.

Dinner at the hotel restaurant last night was supposed to make me feel better. There were maybe three other tables dining when we arrived, yet we were asked if we had a reservation. Ummm, no, but maybe we should have serious reservations about eating here.

We ordered our appetizers, then the wait person returned to tell us they were out of the deviled eggs. Okay, we'll have the shrimp. Whoops, he comes back to tell us they're out of shrimp. (it was only 7:00 and I can't imagine there was a rush before us). Turns out they were also out of the short rib entree (there are only about 8 entrees). We had to practically do the wave to get our waitperson to ultimately give the us the bill.

And this hotel is quoting $350/night? Really?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
AUTOMinneapolisGM, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear JeaneKropp,

We truly do appreciate you staying with us when your travels bring you to the Minneapolis area.

I am extremely disappointed to hear of the challenges that you encountered during your last stay.

I reviewed your comments with our Food and Beverage Director and the lack of communication between the kitchen and the wait staff caused a breakdown that affected your dining experience, the team has gone back and revisited there procedures to ensure that this does not happen again moving forward.

It is because great guests such as yourself that take the time to let us know when we did not exceed expectations that allows us to utilize your feedback to continue to grow and make our future guests experience that much better. And for this we appreciate you taking the time to let us know.

Please reach out to me the next time you travel to the area so that we can meet and i can ensure that your experience is without flaw.

Again, my sincere apologizes for your experience during your last stay.

Don Cook
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was my second stay at this hotel. The first was when the property was an independent boutique hotel and not affiliated with a major brand. The lobby and restaurant area on main level are among the nicest I've seen... grand marble columns and very uniquely decorated. Front desk graciously allowed early checkin but said the reservation was for a standard king. I advised I booked an upgraded Autograph King and she said "its the same". The "Autograph King", according to the independent booking website, is an upgrade in quality (city view) and price. Entering the first assigned room (610) it was very dark, cramped and the carpet was dirty and needed to be stretched to remove the gathering in the middle of the floor. I felt there was no way this was an upgraded room in such a nice hotel so I went to the front desk to let them know I believe they assigned the wrong room type. At first the staff again told me all the king rooms were basically the same. I asked why I paid more for a room that was the same as the others and was told it was for floor level. I then showed where my reservation stated "city view" and the assigned room was interior facing. She said none of their rooms really have a city view. At that point another staff member came over and started looking for other available rooms. Ended up in what they called a "Concierge King" on a higher floor. This room was more roomy and much brighter without the dirty/gathered carpet. The concierge lounge is not open on weekends so I'm glad I did not pay the significantly higher rate for that amenity. As other reviewers have mentioned, the beds are not the best... they sink considerably when you sit on the edge. Water pressure was perfectly fine, in contrast to what other reviewers said. The other room furnishings and fixtures are what you would expect in a 4* hotel. The only other disappointment was on Friday night. The bar and other common areas in the lobby were booked by a wedding reception and the bar for guests was a temporary/mobile bar in the public computer area. Unfortunately, they only had one person staffing that area and she had to go a considerable distance to retrieve food from the kitchen so it took a long time to get drinks if she was on a food run. She was hustling but they just put her in a bad situation. Overall I think the hotel has taken a step down since affiliating with a brand and the rooms are in need of freshened wall paint due to scuffing and also new carpet. Perhaps more time needs to be dedicated to classifying room types as well so there isn't that initial disappointment after booking an upgrade and getting a cramped and dark room assigned. I would stay here again and recommend it to others if the price was right. Part of the reason for my critical review is because this is suppose to be a 4* hotel.

Room Tip: Request that your room is not on the side that is VERY close to the office building. It is brighter...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
AUTOMinneapolisGM, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear noleatl,

I am sorry to hear that the first room that you were assigned did not match your expectations. I am glad to hear that we were able to find you a room on another floor that was able to suit your needs.

I have taken your feedback in regards to the condition of your first room and walked the room with our Chief Engineer and addressed your comments. We are currently working at getting through all of the guestroom in the hotel to make sure that we repaint the rooms utilizing a different paint that will allow for an easier touch up.

I am sorry that you did not get to experience Restaurant Maxx and the Lounge on Saturday evening. The space lends itself to be a wonderful spot for guests to celebrate a special occasion such as a wedding or anniversary. I welcome you back to experience it the next time you are in Minneapolis.

I truly do appreciate you taking the time to recap your experience at The Hotel Minneapolis and want you to be assured that we take all feedback seriously and utilize it to help us to continue to make our future guests experiences the best possible.

Again, thank you for staying with us and if your travel plans bring you back to the Minneapolis area, I hope that we are your choice for overnight accommodations.

Don Cook
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We got this 4 star hotel through Hotwire for $99/night. It is a very nice property for what we paid. It was a bit out of the way as far as night life/restaurants go. Paying for valet parking was easier than parking a few blocks away. Hung out in the bar and nothing was going on, so we ended our night early which was disappointing. Overall atmosphere had cool vibe, just nothing cool going on.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple