The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orange Park, Florida
“Hip Hotel”
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Great lobby and common areas and Maxx is a hit for drinks or dinner. Location puts this one a few blocks from Nicollet Mall with access via skyway for those bitter winter days. Only negatives are the fairly small room size and no tub, but it's still my number 1 choice for accomodations when I travel to the Cities for business or pleasure.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Connecticut
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I you we're aware, Autograph is a Marriott Brand. What these are are classic hotels in unusual/architecturally interesting locations. Most appear to be unique. This hotel was built in an older (1920's) bank building so you can see the original vaults (one is the wine cellar). The lobby ceilings must be 20 feet high..lots of marble...very attractive.
Don't let the buliding's age scare you...the rooms are very modern and up to date...even have rain showerheads.

The beds are very comfortable as are the rooms.

The location is excellent on the Skyway..in case you didn't know, most of the buildings in downtown Minneapolis are connected to a skyway (7 miles of it connecting 70 blocks) on the second floor so, if you have a business meeting downtown and you stay here, leave your coat in the room...you don't need it...even if it's 10 degrees and snowing.

It's also less than a block from the lite rail train that can take you from downtown to inside the airport in less than 30 minutes...for $2,25 or less...compared to a cab for $50.00...it also runs to downtown and to Mall of America....seem to run 24hrs.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed December 21, 2011

My husband and stayed at this hotel for just a few days in December but also invited my parents to stay one night in a seperate room. The decor is fun and inviting. Location is about two blocks from the light rail but not much else immediately around for restaurants, shopping. The skyway is right there - so its easy to get around.

Overall, a good experience but they just didn't seem geared to frequent travelers. I had to ask for my arrival gift and explaining the multiple reservations to the front desk was a challenge. The restaurant food was okay but nothing special. They in fact brought the wrong burger to the table. We had a great price for Friday however. Great shower in the room!

I was stay here again

• Stayed December 2011
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Stayed there for a quick night away. The hotel was very nicely appointed and the staff was wonderful. The rooms were a little on the small side, but the king bed was comfy and the walk in shower was amazing. It is near a huge variety of wonderful places to eat and see. Got it on Hotwire for $60, so the price was much less than I would expect to pay for a hotel of this caliber.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 15, 2011

So, I really wanted to like this hotel. Looking at the website, I was pretty excited to stay here. Unfortunately, my expectations were not met - especially for the price.
The room was small - I had a king size bed and it seemed to take up a disproportionate part of the room. There was also a chair in the room, but its presence partially blocked access to one of the nightstands - a clear indicator that the room was a little on the small side! There was a large tv mounted on the wall - I guess this was kind of nice but I could have done without it.
The next three issues with the room were ones that I really should have complained about. Let me preface this by stating that I arrived with a horrible cold and, really, just wanted to sleep. When I finally went to sleep I noticed that the fans for the room blew directly on the bed, so that, while trying to sleep, one has air constantly blowing on their face. From others I spoke with in other rooms, this was a common design flaw throughout the hotel. Anyhow, due to my cold this air flow was just making me feel worse, so I ended up turning off the heat nightly during my stay. Every morning when I woke up my room showed as 65 F - meaning I didn't want to get out of bed!! My second (somewhat related issue) is that, after turning off the heat/fan I realized that my room must have been next to some sort of mechanical room for the building. With the fan off the noises in this room were quite noticeable, and I could feel my headboard shake from time to time. There must have also been something significant that took place in this room around 4:30 each morning, as I woke up at this time each day I was staying at The Hotel Minneapolis - I am normally a fairly sound sleeper. With the furnace off I could also hear the toilet running every 3 min or so - clearly there was a maintenance issue here as well. Anyhow, I should have complained about this either the first night or the following morning and didn't, so I can't fault the hotel too much for not dealing with these issues! I am in the habit of falling asleep to podcasts due to a snoring partner at home - I was able to block out most of the noises this way.
I had "concierge" access and do feel this was a highlight. The food wasn't bad (although breakfast was on the cold side at times) and there was always ample beverages available. Service was friendly enough. The business centre in the concierge lounge was brutal, running a kiosk version of Windows that was ultra-slow and prone to crashing. There are also multiple macs in the lounge available for all guests - these ran better than the windows machines in the concierge lounge but I still found they were not up to date (I couldn't access icloud from firefox, for example). Internet was $10.50 per day, per device. I travel with 5 devices and am not a Gold or Platinum Marriott member (which you need to be to get free internet) so, needless to say, I was relying on the business centres for most of my internet usage. When I called to clarify the internet policy (to confirm that it was per device, as this was not mentioned anywhere, I just had a hunch!) the caring level of the woman answering the phone at the front desk seemed to be nil - making me think my complaints about my room may have fallen on deaf ears as well.
The hotel offers guests the option to decline daily room cleaning in exchange for a $5 voucher for the on site restaurants or 500 Marriott points. I did decline room cleaning each time I was there, but, really, it's likely saving the hotel much more than $5, and isn't really the environmental helper they seem to think it is. I would have been much happier if I could have the option to have someone come in and empty my trash daily, but that's it. But I digress. In the same vein, though, this hotel had paper cups in the room, rather than coffee mugs. I've noticed this to be a trend in hotels recently and really don't like it! Not only is it wasteful (although I understand it at hotels that don't have a restaurant affiliated to clean dishes), but it just feels cheap.
Overall, I was disappointed with this hotel. The location was good, but there are plenty of other hotels nearby. I will likely be trying out one of these other properties on my next trip to Minneapolis.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed November 19, 2011

The Hotel Minneapolis was a big disappointment. Room was fine and I slept well, but service was disappointing (borderline comical) all around. I stayed at a Courtyard by Marriott the previous night and have to say, the service at this “select service” Marriott brand greatly exceeded what is offered at this Marriott Autograph Collection property (“an evolving ensemble of strikingly independent luxury hotels”, Marriott website.)

I arrived slightly after 11pm. After getting settled, I called room service. The night manager (who just checked me in) told me service ended at 11pm. I said I was aware that the Dinner menu ended at 11pm, but wanted to order from the Late Night menu (11pm-6:30am). He said he’d have to check, sometime they staff leaves sandwiches overnight!!! Ah, what about the handful of items listed in the menu included in your directory and on the website (http://www.thehotelminneapolis.com/assets/Uploads/HotelMinneapolisroomservice2.pdf)?!?!?! He called back 15 minutes later and offered to provide me with phone numbers for some excellent local delivery options. Serious? This is Autograph Collection level service? I showed up at a similar time at Courtyard the previous night and was able to order an excellent sandwich and a beer at the Bistro with no problems.

Waking up the next morning, I was ravenous and headed down to breakfast at restaurant Max. Put in an All American Breakfast order (eggs, bacon, toast...pretty straight forward, no?) and then waited over 25 minutes. No food. No waiter visits. No explanation. No coffee refill. Finally, I got up and left as I had to leave for a business meeting. I informed waiter and manager that their service stinks (I might have been a little more colorful...). Waiter apologized and assured me food would be ready in just a few more minutes. I laughed and walked out, passing the two occupied tables in the ENTIRE restaurant. Maybe three tables overwhelmed the staff???

At check-out, the manager must have been alerted to the situation, where they offered me Marriott Rewards points to apologize for the breakfast issue. 5 months later, I’m still waiting...

WiFi was $14/night. Previous night it was complimentary at the Courtyard.

Gym was nice at Hotel Minneapolis, but only marginally better that Courtyard.

My experience at the Hotel Minneapolis was disappointing on its own. It was extremely disappointing when compared to the Courtyard. I have to question what is the value of staying at an Autograph Collection property when I received significantly better service and amenities at a Courtyard for a fraction of the price.

I will find a new hotel for my next visit to Minneapolis.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank TravelRevue
Williamsville
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Great location near the rail, mall, ballpark. Helps if you are just going to be in the city, you wont need to rent a car. Rooms are clean, workout area is small but has all you need for an overnight trip. Resturaunt is a little pricey but food is good.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business