“A gem”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 8, 2013

There are few places that I will glow about in my neighborhood but Gandhi Mahal is one of them. What sets it apart is the attention to ambiance and service, while maintaining neighborhood-restaurant prices. The servers are knowledgeable, attentive and friendly. There is an old-world charm to the service, I once had the server actually scoop my food onto my plate. I agree with another reviewer that the lunch buffet is nothing fancy. It is however yummy and fast. You'll want to come during the evening though, to take advantage of the excellent table service and live music, which makes for a nice romantic dinner date. Families should not shy away however, they do have a section of the restaurant where a small kid's play area resides. It is now the only Indian restaurant in town I bother going to

There are newer reviews for Gandhi Mahal

Reviewed July 13, 2012

After reading the glowing reviews, as lover's of Indian food and frequent maker's of Indian food, we gave it a try for lunch. We were not very impressed with the selections on the buffet. Everything was piping hot, but the chafing dish settings were almost too hot as to be just under the boiling point, thereby, compromising some of the dishes. I will give them points for using fresh vegetables in the Farmer's Market Vegetable Curry, I've often seen frozen veggies used, but the veggies were mush. They had two spinach dishes, one with mushrooms that was typically thick as in most buffets in the area. The other was with garbanzo beans and very thin. They had two chicken dishes in curries, one with cut-up bone-in chicken which was mild and the chicken pieces too small and too full of bones. One of the chicken dishes was quite hot which was a nice change of pace from the typical mild flavors encountered. The two rices were okay, not much of the perfumed/nutty basmati flavor we like. The naan was very thin and flat and just okay. The condiments were very thin, I've never encountered such thin cilantro or tamarind mixtures. Overall the quality was okay, but we have had better selection and better quality at a couple of other Indian restaurants in town. Ordering off menu may be a better experience here. Buffets in general are not our preference, but this was the only time we could go. OM closed and with good reason, too bad, Minneapolis needs a great Indian restaurant with atmosphere and great service in addition to wonderful food. The chef that created the menu for the now closed OM refused to add "restaurant/buffet typical" dishes to the menu. He wanted to elevate Indian cuisine and represent regions other than the typical northern dishes. Totally understand, but if I were King as they say, I would have had a small selection of "classics/American favorites" on the menu and would have executed them extremely well. Sigh---still awaiting a great Indian restaurant in Mpls.

1  Thank foxml
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The Twin Cities is not known for stellar Indian restaurants... unfortunately since well-prepared Indian food would be really appreciated by this community.

The reason it gets five stars is that while it may not hold steady versus the top-tier Indian in cities like Chicago, this restaurant is simply far ahead of its competition in the Twin Cities.

I've been here numerous times and I've found good, friendly service. The food is actually spicy and flavorful.

Unless you're driving to Chicago, this is your best bet.

2  Thank Patrick D
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Found this place on tripadvisor, and we weren't disappointed. The atmosphere was great, with live music playing. Excellent service, our water was never close to being empty. They were very attentive and speedy. We had the lamb in some sort of sauce and chicken Marsala. They were both good and the garlic naan was delicious. I would recommend this place. I was very pleased.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I first went here on the recommendation of a friend who raved about the food. Everything the two of us ordered was delicious, the service was excellent and quick, with some nice extra touches, like warm wipes between dinner and dessert. My second visit was with a group of 12 friends. Again, the food was excellent, the service attentive, and we got our checks individually, which is a boon for large groups. That night, there was live music. We were seated in a different room, and the music was piped in at just the right volume so that you could listen if you wanted to, but you could also hear to talk. They take reservations! It's metered parking, but they have the new-fangled meters that allow you to use a credit or debit card. It has a nice, central location and is easy to get to. Gandhi Mahal has taken a spot in my top-five list of favorite restaurants.

1  Thank SunAgape