“One of the few good options for Indian”
Review of Gandhi Mahal

Gandhi Mahal
Ranked #211 of 1,808 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Minneapolis
“One of the few good options for Indian”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The Twin Cities is not known for stellar Indian restaurants... unfortunately since well-prepared Indian food would be really appreciated by this community.

The reason it gets five stars is that while it may not hold steady versus the top-tier Indian in cities like Chicago, this restaurant is simply far ahead of its competition in the Twin Cities.

I've been here numerous times and I've found good, friendly service. The food is actually spicy and flavorful.

Unless you're driving to Chicago, this is your best bet.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Patrick D

Manzanita, Oregon
“Great restaurant!”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Found this place on tripadvisor, and we weren't disappointed. The atmosphere was great, with live music playing. Excellent service, our water was never close to being empty. They were very attentive and speedy. We had the lamb in some sort of sauce and chicken Marsala. They were both good and the garlic naan was delicious. I would recommend this place. I was very pleased.

St Paul, MN
“Surprisingly delicious, live entertainment, comfy atmosphere”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I first went here on the recommendation of a friend who raved about the food. Everything the two of us ordered was delicious, the service was excellent and quick, with some nice extra touches, like warm wipes between dinner and dessert. My second visit was with a group of 12 friends. Again, the food was excellent, the service attentive, and we got our checks individually, which is a boon for large groups. That night, there was live music. We were seated in a different room, and the music was piped in at just the right volume so that you could listen if you wanted to, but you could also hear to talk. They take reservations! It's metered parking, but they have the new-fangled meters that allow you to use a credit or debit card. It has a nice, central location and is easy to get to. Gandhi Mahal has taken a spot in my top-five list of favorite restaurants.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank SunAgape
Shoreview, Minnesota
“Room for improvement”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Surpised that a restaurant we wanted to go patronize had closed down, we opted at the last minute to try a place we never had been before. We googled our way to Gandhi Mahal in south Minneapolis and were accompanied by a couple of friends who enjoy slightly toned down Indian food. We were pleasantly surprised to find a tidy, albeit scrunched space - something that puzzled us as since there seemed to be lots more room in a newer, possibly remodeled space. The food was pleasantly decent. We did order the lowest spice level to accommodate our friends. My wife and I had to order Indian pickle to pick it up a little (Disclaimer: I am originally from India and my wife while from Minneapolis, eats spicier food than I do). Although they claim it to be north Indian, the food served at Gandhi Mahal is East Indian Bangla cusine. All of the dishes we ordered, Motor (mutter) Paneer, Chicken Biryani, Chana Masala (garbanzo curry), and tandoori-style chicken were served hot and tasted pretty good, I found the service a bit lacking and young wait staff not very knowledgable. We cannot fault the food as we chose the lowest spice level to ensure that our company enjoyed the meal, but everything about that place was slow once we got seated.

The place was packed on New Year's Eve and there were many folks walking in constantly. This is a good sign that the locals do enjoy the food and looking around I found no negative vibes among the patrons. The restaurant is located in a very busy location in south Minneapolis that has in the past two decades taken on a very ethic flair with many Hispanic and Somali businesses opening shop here. I did not notice if there was any restaurant parking, but street parking may be an issue in the immediate vicinity. However, if one is willing to walk, there are lots of street or grocery store parking within one or two blocks of the location.

We will definitely try the place again and this time try the medium to hot spice level and hopefully report back!

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank mvp4321
Minneapolis, MN
“Service and Food were both great!”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I am not native, nor a food critic, but I have had my share of Indian food and I thought this restaurant served appetizing, well-presented appetizers and entrees. The servers were friendly and helpful. This restaurant seems a bit "off the beaten path" - but it's worth seeking out.

• Visited October 2011