“Great baked goods”

Butter Bakery Cafe
Ranked #17 of 40 Bakeries in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Neighborhood cafe with onsite-from-scratch bakery. We're a local community gathering space supporting the work of Nicollet Square Housing by providing a supportive workplace for formerly homeless youth. Local sourcing, zero waste goal and high road values are built into being a sustainably run business. We are a no-tipping establishment, offering fair wages for all of our employees for all shifts by building all costs into our menu pricing.
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Only have had their bakery items, which were great. The name is very fitting--no commercial-grade shortening used instead of butter at this place. Friendly service, reasonable prices.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

Butter Cafe has a mostly local crowd and 'hipster' friendly. Coffee is a little on the bitter side, but great scones!

Reviewed July 13, 2008

Just had breakfast at this hidden gem in Minneapolis. I was there for business, and looking for something amazing to fill me up this morning. I'd been to the regulars time and time again (Al's, Hell's Kitchen, Key's, etc), but wanted something new. Something small, with quality local ingredients, and smiling/happy you're there service. The Butter Bakery was all that and more.
It's a small place, with about 10 or 12 tables inside, and about 6 tables outside. I chose the outdoors this morning. This place is certainly tucked away from the normal hussle and bussle of the main streets. If you blink, you'll miss it, so keep your eyes open. It's in a very residential neighborhood, and looked like all locals in there today. I can't imagine too many tourists finding this place on foot. By car, it's about a 10 minute or less drive from downtown.
Onto the food! WELL, first off, before I start on breakfast, let me say that the Butter Bakery is known for their homemade eclairs. Big ones, and small ones, they are spectacular! And for the price, an amazing steal ($2 for the small, $3 for the large). I bought a box to take to some friends! Everything here is homemade on site, and you can see them baking behind the counter.
You order your food at the counter, and then sit down at a table, and they bring it to you when it's ready. Grab your silverware, napkin, and whatever else you need from a little table in the dining room. This place strives to provide some of the best food in the Twin Cities, at very fair prices. They pride themselves on using organic whenever possible, and use free trade coffee as well. Their eggs are local, as well as most other items on the menu. The sausage on my biscuit was from a farm in South Dakota. I had the biscuit sandwich for breakfast, and it was excellent!! A HUGE just baked southern style biscuit, with some cheddar cheese, an egg just off the farm, and some thick sausage, was truly a delight. I paired that up with some fresh fruit, and was good to go. On the way out, I grabbed a "butterred ice coffee", which was a iced french press coffee with a little vanilla and cream in it. I've gotta say, it was as smooth as butter. One thing was I was also impressed with were the prices. My sandwich was around $5, and most things on the menu were about the same.
The Butter Bakery is out to serve the locals up some quality grub, while doing good for the world. Their prices are unbelievably low, and the service was always with a smile. They deserve to be recognized!! But please, leave a seat for me!

1  Thank HungryDave