“Drink like your Dad”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Warehouse District
Cross street: Between 7th Street and 8th Street
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Bradstreet Crafthouse Restaurant at the Graves 601 Hotel in downtown Minneapolis is a mouthful....as a name, it is too long. However, insofar as drinks you put in your mouth, it's a bar that your dad, and his dad, would recognize and love. Beer, wine, champagne? No. Go away now. Want a Manhattan, or an old school martini with vermouth? Stay. Drink. Repeat.

This is a bar for cocktails, simple or complex, that taste exactly as originally intended. In a world where contemporary home bars are stuffed with wine, a bottle of vodka and maybe some gin or whiskey - where store-bought seltzer or tonic serve as mixers - the art of making and thereby appreciating real cocktails has passed. Our generation has ruined kids' sports, Major League Baseball and now cocktails.

Bradstreet is here to help us. Ever taste sweet vermouth? It's great straight up, let alone in a Manhattan. The bartenders make drinks from a broad menu. The mixing show is worth your seat alone. The fruits used in some of the more festive drinks will cause you to rationalize your third and fourth drinks as scurvy preventatives. As orders flow in across the full liquor spectrum from the bar's patrons, you will sip, sample and stand in judgement on numerous drinks and their constituent ingredients.

Please take some advise and fix what you broke - allow your kids some unstructured neighborhood play time, accept the fact that there is a 10 year steroid era with some residual effects running through MLB's system, and take notes at Bradstreet, then repair to your home bar and start to mix some real drinks with fresh ingredients measured exactly. You will feel better immediately.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Went there before heading to Seinfeld at the orpheum. We also stayed at the Graves. I was a little skeptical after having read some poor reviews but thought we would try it. Took about 15-20 minutes to get drinks after arriving. Food did not all come out at the same time and the scallops we ordered were cold. Service was poor. Atmosphere poor. Manager did check on us and brought us a new hot order of scallops but the rest Of the food was so, so. This place is way over rated and way over priced! I would suggest Capitol grill or Ike's over this dump. Do not waste your time!

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Enjoyed the feel of this place. Lively, yet cozy. We had an early seating at the chef's corner. Drinks came fast. My hubby's gingerale was awesome and my daughters each enjoyed their drinks. I had a champagne cocktail. Silly me. I like things sweet and this had bitters in it. My mistake. I drank it anyway. I guess it helped the bread go down. Okay, about the bread. My husband watched as a loaf of bread hit some aluminum foil on top of the garbage can sitting right next to the bread board. The chef retrieved it and looked it over. I could not have cared less and figured the alcohol would kill any germs. My husband and daughter on the other hand didn't complain, but didn't enjoy their meals as much as they could have. They really should have requested another fabulous sandwich. Oh my!! The food was YUMMY! They did move the garbage can once they got through an early rush. Cool music. For the four of us with one drink each the bill was $110. And that was with two desserts. The tip was not automatically added in. That is for larger groups, so don't assume it is included on the bill as others have suggested. Our waitress was great. (Mellissa) Thanks.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

First visit and probably won't return. We love the Cosmos restaurant in the same hotel-Graves, but is now a Wyndham which probably explains the problems we encountered. Service started out terrible, but then the young lady left and we got a much more helpful young man as a server. Music obnoxious, turned down at our request for 5 min. until our party of six ordered, and then back to full volume. What kind of bar in a hotel does not have orange juice, cranberry juice, Jack Daniel's nor two of the featured tap beers? Shrimp was good, french fries divine, ho-hum philly beef sandwiches. We all moved over to Seven after 1.5 hours.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We had such a fun time talking with the two bartenders who were knowledgeable, fun, and made great crafted cocktails. The bar food was good, small portions, large variety of items. We sat at the bar with two young men in town on business which made our experience even more enjoyable.

We will definitely return!