“Excellent place, Always Intriguing”

Minneapolis Institute of Art
Ranked #1 of 216 things to do in Minneapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Travel through 4,000 years of world history as you view more than 80,000 works of sculpture, photography, paintings, drawings and prints.
Minnetonka, Minnesota
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Excellent place, Always Intriguing”
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

I always learn from a visit to the MIA. The gift store has undergone changes that I have not warmed up to yet, but the bright Chihuly glass still hangs brightly inside the entrance. What a delightful beginning. I continually enjoy the galleries. I proudly admit to being a member of this place that is full of surprises. Walk in, wander, and soon you will find something interesting. I can't tell you what it will be; for me I might enjoy something I have never seen or some new piece. go, enjoy, donate and repeat.

Visited January 2014

Orlando, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great museum.”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Was in town for the weekend and had some time to spare and went to the MIA. Great variety of art at a great price. Worth a visit if you are in town.

Visited February 2014
Denver
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“A wonderful museum”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Having visited the Walker in Minneapolis many times, this time we decided to check out the Institute of Arts. This is a treasure of a museum with a very eclectic collection. The mission furnishings, the room museums, and the impressionist collection were among the most interesting, although we wandered through the whole museum. In warmer weather, it would definitely have been walkable from our hotel. Visit, you'll be surprised at the collection here.

Visited February 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun, educational time w/family”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

MIA is a great place to visit on a rainy day if you have nothing to do. The artwork is beautiful, and there are a lot of hands-on activities for all ages to enjoy. When my family came here, we received the pleasure of putting together some window art, viewing a traditional Aztec dancing show, listening to a Hawaiian folktale with Hawaiian vocabulary, creating Indian sand art, and mixing up our very own play dough, all in one visit! The activities here are extremely diverse and educational, but the artwork is great as well. It is very nice. The staff is very diligent about keeping the work safe, and provides a great experience off the entire family. We did not try the food, so no comments there. Otherwise, the Minneapolis Institute of Arts is a great place to spend any day with your family!

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Great art, poor food”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

The Minneapolis Institute of Arts is not to be missed. If you live in the Twin Cities and have never been to this museum, you are missing a real gem. Every time I go I am transported not only around the world, but through time and space. I don't know much about art, but I do know what I like and there are many pieces here that are like "old friends" to me. It's a little frustrating when one of my favorite pieces is moved to a new location, but I suspect this is done out of necessity.

The food on my last visit, however, was quite a disappointment. It used to be D'amico and Sons, but now it's the Grain Stack (I think). I get that they are going with the art theme and are trying to bring this to the food experience, but I feel strongly that the customer has been overlooked in their attempt to reach this goal. If I wanted to eat overpriced, foo-foo food, I would seek it out. But all I wanted was a nice, tasty lunch. A nice sandwich with fresh, fluffy bread, and a warm, hearty soup would have been wonderful. Instead I was left to choose between several unusual dishes (not typical lunch fare) with ingredients I was unfamiliar with such as "soil" (I was told it is a flour, salt, sugar mix). I wouldn't be surprised to see a menu like this in California, but I feel it's a bit of a stretch for my MN expectations. If the museum's goal is to offer an enjoyable eating experience for their guests, they need to broaden their menu and price options and keep families, students, and various cultures in mind.

I ordered a fried chicken dish with peas and carrots on polenta (?) with a creamy sauce over all of it (it was pretty much the only thing on the menu I could identify with). Nothing in this dish was particularly tasty. Breading on the chicken was a bit thick and a bit overcooked. Dessert was a pear cobbler with vanilla ice cream scoop. It took over 20 minutes to arrive and was satisfactory, but nothing to write home about. It would have been nice if my entrée dish was removed when the dessert arrived, as our table for two was a bit small.

Restaurant staff was friendly and helpful, but not overly attentive to our needs once we sat down.

Overall, I was hoping to spend 20 minutes eating lunch, but this lunch took over 40 minutes. Less time to look at all the great art (whaaa!). Overall restaurant rating is two out of five stars.

Next time I will skip this restaurant and check out the coffee shop instead (or pack my own lunch).

Visited January 2014