“Extensive museum”

Minneapolis Institute of Art
Ranked #1 of 211 things to do in Minneapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Travel through 4,000 years of world history as you view more than 80,000 works of sculpture, photography, paintings, drawings and prints.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Extensive museum”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our recent visit to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts very much. We were struck by the museum's size and the breadth of the art on exhibit. It ranged from Asian to European and American with contemporary art and photography. The most interesting aspect of the museum were the reconstructed rooms from the Elizabethan era and 1900's American homes.

Although there were works by well-known artists like Renoir, Van Gogh and Sargent, they were understandably lesser works since the major pieces are in national galleries such as the Rijksmusuem, the Louvre, and the British National Gallery.

You need to allow yourself at least 3 hours to give the museum justice, but we recommend it!

Visited February 2013
2 Thank DJ S

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Don't Bring Your Young Kids”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

If you like to stare at paintings like I do, don't think your kids will allow you to enjoy it. My only regret was not having more time to enjoy it all because kids feet hurt, were hungry, needed the bathroom, etc. They do have a few escapes art room to do activities for families or kids but that is not what I go there for!

Visited February 2013
Minneapolis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good for the price”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Free? This place is awesome. I don't like art. I definitely prefer history. Which is why I like the MIA. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it there.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank PeeDee3
Minnesota
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Eclectic collection”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The MIA tends to have a smattering of this, a little of that, but it has a few wonderful collections. I could spend a week in the Impressionists room. And their collection of complete rooms from different periods makes you feel like you are there.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank MnVan
Buffalo, Minnesota
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“beautiful!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The building itself is a work of art, the collections are wonderful. Our favorite is the "Veiled Lady"

1 Thank mdld