“Dark and classy”

Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Indianapolis
“Dark and classy”
Reviewed September 4, 2009

With the exception of the sidewalk and street construction, my stay at The W was very nice. The place is very dark and shadowy, but very smart and stylish. My room was well appointed and very quiet. The staff was attentive and helpful. Go to the 32nd floor observatory and check out the Foshay Memorbilia and the view from the top. I felt like I was at the Empire State Building. Also, theck out the Prohabition bar on the 27th and the Art Deco details in the lobby.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank SweetBoyIndy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 8, 2009

We stayed here for three nights over 4th of July weekend. When we checked in, we had to use the side/back entrance on 9th street because of street construction and there were no ramps for dragging our luggage and golf clubs. When we arrived, no one was at the "welcome" desk and we almost thought we were in the wrong place when we got there. Finally after walking around the desk, someone came out to assist us. Perhaps the Fourth of July is not a popular travel holiday, but it was dead at the W hotel. Not a soul walking around. The person at the front desk was polite but not very knowledgable on current restaurants. We got to our room 2205 and it had a nice view of the city. It's a typical size for a W, not huge but not tiny. It was the spectacular room rather than a standard "wonderful" room. If you have a choice in the matter, ask for a room with a shower rather than a tub. The shower is very cool, with a rain showerhead.

We had no problems with getting our car in a timely manner. They were efficient with that. The weird part is that at any time during the day there are 3-4 guys standing outside working for the W. We each had one rollerboard and a set of golf clubs. Considering that I'm a girl, no one asked if I needed help with my bags. Odd. What's the point in keeping so many people outside and they don't do anything?

Also, the staff at the welcome desk are NOT knowledgable about the goings-on in the area. For example, we were in St Paul looking for the Taste of MN, so we called the hotel to get some directions. The guy on the phone had no idea and had to ask another employee who also wasn't very sure. In addition, they have access to the internet, I'm not sure why he didn't just mapquest it for us. Odd. In addition, we were heading to Lake Harriett and the valet guy asked if we needed directions. So we asked him and he said that we can take Hennepin all the way there. We took Hennepin and at one point it was blocked so that wasn't very helpful for us.

The lounge area on the ground floor was very cozy and nice. They had couches and other comfortable seating. They had an interesting drink list. We went there twice. During the second time, we decided to eat a little at the bar. We had the wings and cheese plate. Skip the wings, they are not that tasty. The cheese plate was great but ask for more truffle honey next time. My husband had club soda with lime and he had to constantly flag the bartender down to get a refill. There were only two other people at the bar so we couldn't understand why the bartender was so not helpful.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chitownee
New England
Reviewed July 7, 2009

We called at the last minute to make a reservation and got a rate of $126 for a 'spectacular' room (their terminology, not mine). We thoroughly enjoyed the funky decor and though the bathroom sink isn't practical (a flat square), the bathroom is plenty roomy, has a huge shower and GREAT spa soaps. W's are known for taking old hotels with small rooms and creating their own modern space. Yes, the halls and lobby are a bit dark, there's less than typical music playing and the service is subdued (not rude, just not effusive). So if you like something with a contemporary flair and modern character this is a great place for you; if that's not your thing then stay away (for instance, I know a couple of dads that would decidedly not like it here).
The great thing about old hotels is that their walls are THICK. So even though our room was right by the elevator and there was music playing in the hall, we could hear no sound from outside once our door was shut-- not even other door being shut, ever. We like quiet and are light sleepers so that was a big plus.
There was a lot of road construction when we stayed and whoever took our reservation neglected to mention that, but in the end worked out ok. Also, they apparently only have valet parking which is pricey. Restaurant tip: if you like this style then you'll like eating at the Dakota on Nicollette mall.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank visitall50
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 29, 2009

We love the W-Foshey! My husband and I spent 1 night here over Memorial Weekend. The check-in process was a breeze and our room was beautiful. We took advantage of our free admission to the Observation Deck - what a view!

You don't get a ton of space at this W, but they did a great job at converting the old building into a hotel. There are little touches everywhere that make it special.

We enjoyed happy hour at Key's Restaurant (located inside the same building) - it's also the best place in Minneapolis for breakfast! Prohibition Bar is also quite fun to see! But it's rather small so it gets crowded quickly - esp on a Friday night. My only complaint about Prohibition is that there is no Happy Hour (but I've heard a rumor that's changing).

We got a wonderful rate off of Hotels.com (around $120) & we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed June 9, 2009

I traveled solo recently to the W Minneapolis and had a fabulous time. The room was small but nice...I was a bit disappointed that there was no bathtub, but I realize that is true at many new hotels (there are tubs in some of the more expensive rooms). The bed was very comfortable, the room extremely quiet (I never heard anyone except the in-room dining delivery knocking on a door once), and I liked that you needed a room key to get the elevator to work for added safety. In my opinion, the hotel is in the best location downtown, right by Nicollet Mall and the shopping and convenience it offers, with direct access to the Skyway and Manny's Restaurant and Key's Cafe right downstairs.
I'm quite hard to please, and the staff went above and beyond for me. From the Welcome Desk staff to the housekeeping staff, each person I came into contact with was friendly and helpful. They have a Whatever/Whenever service, which I used often during my one night stay. A free DVD library was a nice touch and were happy to deliver the videos to my room. Great concierge helped me find restaurants, and they have an Acura you can reserve to take you to your destination for free. Prohibition on the 27th floor, and the Living Room have happy hour even on the weekends, so that was a bonus.
When I was initially looking for a hotel, I was deciding between Graves, Hotel Minneapolis, and the W-Foshay. I definitely made the right decision.

Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed May 19, 2009

I stayed at the W with my 3 teenage nieces for the Britney Spears concert at the Target Center. I have stayed in Ws before and wanted a very trendy nightclubby hotel to add to the concert experience. Upon arriving at the hotel we were EXTREMELY excited to see Britney's tour busses parked out front. She and her crew were camped out there for the concert. My nieces were ecstatic.
We valeted which was pricy ($28) but we had a lot of luggage and I didn't want to be scouring downtown for a place to park on a busy weekday. The decor is exactly what I was hoping for. Dimly lit but with lots of cool accent lighting in pink, purple and orange. Techno music was playing and my nieces thought they had died and gone to heaven.
I got our room on the Starwood website for $119 which I felt was a great deal. Room was on the smallish size but very comfortable and the bathroom was spacious. Cool decor in red, black and chrome. My 15 year old niece commented late that night after taking a shower that she felt like she was in a nightclub because there was a pink halogen spotlight in the shower and it "made the water sparkle."
The girls had a great time stalking the lobby for Britney and her ancers (who they got pics with ) and the staff was very accomodating to them. Didn't try to shoo them off just bc there was a celebrity staying there. They also had really nice Bliss amenities in the bathroom. Mini-bar was well stocked with lots of stuff but predictably outrageously expensive.

Overall a really fun experience. I met a couple of friends in the downstairs lobby bar and the atmosphere was very cool. Mostly locals were hanging out there not just guests of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Our stay here was decent. The food at Manny's Steakhouse (in the lobby) is fabulous. Drinks - not so fabulous. The rooms are very cheap for a W (I think we paid about $140/night for our room), pretty clean and have nice views. However, the layout is bizarre and not very convenient for anything, really. Our only real problem during our stay at this W was dealing with the bill. First, we were charged twice per night for valeting our car. Oddly (or, if you're suspicious, maybe not so oddly), the people we were traveling with were ALSO charged twice per night for valeting their car. And, when a friend paid for a bottle of wine to be sent to our room, the hotel charged the price of the bottle to both our account and the friend's credit card. We had our bill adjusted accordingly, but had to make about 3 or 4 phone calls to get it done. And the person who finally adjusted the bill made an additional mistake that cost us $15, but after one unreturned call about that mistake, we said "good enough" and gave up. I advise anyone who stays here to look very carefully at their bill. Other than that, I consider this hotel one of the better hotels in Minneapolis.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family