“Best Hotel in MSP - Loved it!!!!”

W Minneapolis - The Foshay
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
USA
“Best Hotel in MSP - Loved it!!!!”
Reviewed January 26, 2009

I spent a fabulous New Years Eve night at the "W Hotel - The Foshay." It started out with professional valet services anda friendly belhop - and was followed by an upgrade to a corner room with a fantastic view.

The room was clean, hip, and comfortable. The bed was so cozy that I didn't want to leave the room. And the shower - best shower ever!

I spent a large part of the night in the hotel barl....it was packed but the crowd was hip and friendly - I never waited more than 2-3 minutes for a drink.

Will I come back? You bet!

• Liked — Modern and sleak design throughout the historic propertiy
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Korean first
sweateat
Reviewed January 11, 2009

My event at the W Hotel looked beautiful and the food was absolutely outstanding. Unfortunately service did not measure up. Upon arrival I was promptly introduced to my waiter, Rafael. I was told to inform him of my needs. Frantically rushing around, he looked dazed, confused and completely preoccupied. It made me feel as if something was wrong or about to go wrong. Having some questions I tried to touch base with the staff who told me I had to talk to Rafael, but he was nowhere in sight. Throughout my event every time I needed him he was not available. (This was incredibly frustrating) Eventually someone was gracious enough to retrieve him for me. It was at that time he approached me red faced and looking furious. He then acted very short and completely disregarded my questions. This event was quite costly and I feel it should have included respectful treatment and professionalism. If I wanted to tolerate behavior like this I would have stayed home with my teenage step children.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank sweateat
djnatosha
Reviewed January 10, 2009

Me and my new husband stayed in October for our wedding night. We were upgraded to a suite by the Hotel (Very nice of them yes) but the staff forgot to send our luggage or the gifts my co-workers gave us up to the room. I actually had to be told by my co-workers that they did something. When we complained we were offered another night all expense paid, So we thought ok go back NYE - Room on NYE was dirty and the heat had to be cranked to 90 for it to feel 70 degrees. Plus after we ordered room service supposedly on them we awoke the next morning to a BILL.

I will never again stay here and will tell everyone I know to go to another hotel.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank djnatosha
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 4, 2009

I stayed at this W during the Republican convention, and I believe only a few weeks after it had opened. I have to say that I had a really nice stay - the room was very comfortable, the staff were very helpful and friendly, and I really enjoyed the bar area and Manny's restaurant.
I stayed at the hotel for five nights, and found it to be quiet, in a good part of town that's walkable to just about everything, and great room service (the mini burgers are delicious!).
I recommend this hotel - I had a great time and I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
St Louis, MO
Reviewed November 29, 2008

I have been to probably 15 W hotels around the country. this is a strange place. hotel room colors weird, lobby bar is even different. i prefer the westin, graves or hotel chambers to this hotel. believe me I was hoping it would be great i live in minneapolis but i would pass.

Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank mike1742
Minneapolis
Reviewed November 17, 2008

This is a unique hotel, but not worth the cost in my opinion.

Pros: Rain shower, comfortable bed, friendly staff
Cons: Tiny rooms, cleanliness, poor amenities (non-functioning ipod station, heat - we had it set to 90 degrees and it was still cold!, mini-bar issues.....)

The staff was wonderful though - very apologetic & accomodating, including giving us breakfast on the house.

Stayed November 2008
1 Thank moedixie
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 4, 2008

We booked a promotional deal for a combination birthday/anniversary night on the town. It was good to see the attention paid to a classic building, but I'm glad we didn't pay full boat for the tiny but tasteful room. The trendy black-and-white minimalist/modern style is well done, apparently the model for the cheaply-done Scottsdale Mondrian. The bed was very comfortable and the minuscule room had lots of nice touches, like the excellent video & audio equipment. However, the room was uncomfortably cold, and the thermostat didn't seem to have any appreciable effect on the comfort level, perhaps because the heating units are hidden by a sofa and heavy drapes. The hallway was downright frigid, which didn't help. The view from the sixth floor window was forgettable, but what do you expect from a promotional deal? Prohibition, the two-story bar in Mr. Foshay's former private office, has been beautifully restored and has some big rooms and several cozy conversational areas, with great views from the windows and details like decorated ceilings. A little trendy for our tastes, but fun for a night on the town.

• Liked — Location, design
  • Disliked — Climate control
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple