“Wow, really impressed”

W Minneapolis - The Foshay
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed August 6, 2014

When I entered the W Minneapolis, I was really impressed by the gorgeous lobby, quite dark with warm colors (red and brown).
My room was a corner room, very large with the most comfortable king bed you could dream of, and top quality sheets.

I liked the ambiance, the design of the Living room, the good music, it cannot be more pleasant and trendy.
I didn't liked so much the design of Manny's restaurant (kind of bistro, I didn't tried to eat there, except for breakfast).

Great location, only a few blocks from Nicollett Mall.

The Foshay tower is a historic building, there's also a small museum on the 30th floor (and great views).

Quite expensive hotel, but worth it (there is one thing I cannot understand: WiFi is not free!)

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Chris75
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Hello Chris75,
Thank you for sharing a five star review regarding your recent experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed the signature bed and fabulous views from your cool corner room and reveled in the posh Living Room bar and contemporary scene within the historic skyscraper of the Foshay Tower! See you soon!
Cheers,
Matthew Hawkins

Write a ReviewReviews (1,317)

Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband is a Platinum member with SPG and IHG. We decided to get a hotel room since we were attending a Twins game on Saturday. We prepaid for a room and he used his upgrade. To our complete surprise, we were guaranteed the WOW suite. Completely amazing!!! Fantastic view of the City, comfortable bed, spacious, luxurious, just simply amazing! The WOW suite is the second best room in the hotel... one being the penthouse. We ordered a few drinks at the Prohibition bar (not lobby bar) and brought them back to the room as there was no seating left. No problem as the room was (did I mention) phenomenal. Another great plus is that the W is connected to our favorite steakhouse, Manny's and ate at Key's Bakery for the first time. (Delicious crab Benedict by the way!) The staff was very nice and accommodating, which to be truthful was expected given my husband's status. The hotel does offer valet, but we never do as it's an easy walk (across the street).

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Welcome Jillian852,
Thank you for being our guests and for choosing W Minneapolis located in the iconic Foshay Tower! Your husband’s SPG loyalty is much appreciated and I am so pleased we were able to offer you a complimentary upgrade to our WOW suite- one of the best in the house! Manny’s Steakhouse and Key’s Café are two of our spectacular offerings right here on site! On your next visit, be sure to visit Prohibition, a fabulous speakeasy themed bar on the 27th floor with views for miles!
Cheers!

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We were looking for a comfortable, special hotel to celebrate our 20th anniversary. My husband travels for work 2-3 weeks each month and we didn't want to stay at a "run-of-the-mill" hotel. I stayed at a W in Atlanta about 15 years ago and recall it being the nicest hotel I've ever experienced and decided that we would try it for our anniversary weekend in Minneapolis.

From the moment we arrived, your staff was extremely nice and professional. From the valet attendees to the cleaning staff - they were all first class. It is rare for EVERYONE to make you feel like they truly care that you have a great experience at their hotel and your staff accomplished just that. :)

We want to make you aware of one especially outstanding experience that we had during our stay. While checking in, Kara asked some typical questions followed up with "Why are you here?". We told her that we were celebrating our anniversary. We didn't think anything else of it as we continued with plans for the evening. Upon return that evening, we were greeted with strawberries, dippers, and champagne! WOW! What a HUGE surprise! We were absolutely taken back by this level of caring and generosity. Kara also included a hand-written note with the surprise. The treat was awesome and it something that we will always remember.

Room Tip: We were directly outside an elevator and it was even quiet. I don't think there is a bad room...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Greetings, OnTheBr1nk,
Thank you for the awesome five star review and being our guests at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! And Happy 20th Anniversary!! So happy you were able to bask in luxury and enjoy our Whatever/Whenever service promise. Your review made my day and it will be a sincere pleasure to share your wonderful comments with Kaeryn and the entire team! The doors of the historic Foshay Tower are always open, and we look forward to your next visit!
SIP.BASK.CELEBRATE.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

I’ve stayed at the W Foshay in MSP on 2 occasions, with my last visit being the last week of July. First, this is a great hotel, good service, clean and in a great location downtown. The rooms are comfortable with good bedding and the shower during both stays has been particularly nice with plenty of pressure. I always end up eating the snacks from the minibar – just cause they seem to put a little thought into them…dang late night cravings. I also particularly like the prohibition bar on the 27th floor of the hotel. Ask the bartender/waitress to explain the history of the bar which was planned to be Wilbur Foshay’s private, retreat.

You do need to prep yourself for the contemporary feel of this hotel. In the public areas, it’s dark – and where there is light is usually some sort of plutonium enhanced neon. It’s actually pretty cool, but if you are a more traditional traveler you might be taken aback. I’ve noticed other people mention the lighting, and would have to agree there is just something slightly off about it. With that said, the rooms themselves although also contemporary have plenty of light available.

W brands are usually trendy with a youthful feel and this one is no different. It’s a great historic building with a ton of character in a great city. I love the Foshay and will stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views of the city.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Topherallen

Hello Topherallen,
Thank you for making W Minneapolis your hotel of choice once again on your trip to the Twin Cities, your loyalty is much appreciated! The Foshay was built in 1929 as an office building and reopened in 2008 as the W Minneapolis – The Foshay. The designer took the art deco time frame and mixed the prohibition/speakeasy era for the interior design. The unique design of the building, different room styles, colors, and lighting has caused a passionate response from some of our first time and repeat guests. Come back soon to check out the Foshay Museum and Observation Deck on the 30th floor, and enjoy a cocktail in Prohibition Lounge on the 27th floor!
Best Wishes,

Reviewed August 3, 2014

The W Hotels have a reputation for being unique and trendy, the Foshay building not to disappoint those visiting the Minneapolis hotel. One thing to consider if you are staying with friends is to know is that because of the building size, there are only kingsize bedrooms. If you're one for charming and location this is a great choice. If you want more space in a room, I would consider perhaps the Hilton right down the street, but come back to enjoy a drink or small bites on the 27th floor. You can't beat the location if you're wanting to walk around the city. There are also a lot of great restaurants nearby- including Manny's Steakhouse which is connected to the hotel. The staff is friendly and very prompt when you request items. Do your research on the history of the Foshay to have a better understanding when you see older artifact type things amongst the building.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Monica P
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Hello Monica P,

You're quite the Insider when it comes to staying at W Minneapolis-The Foshay & we love that! Thank you so much for the 5 star review, it will be my pleasure to respond & share your review with the team here at W Minneapolis! Please come back and visit us soon for more insider experiences.

Cheers to Summer!

Matt Hawkins

Reviewed August 1, 2014

This is a great hotel in the historic Foshay Tower right in the middle of downtown Minneapolis. The staff are second to none. I left my camera lens down at the desk and the staff ran it up to my room on the 21st floor within minutes. We were unable to print our tickets in the business center so Ryan the desk clerk had me e-mail the tickets to him and when we came downstairs to leave he had them printed. Excellent service.

The rooms are a little small but this is an early 1900's building so it is to be expected. The 30th floor is an observation deck that you can walk all the way around and see the city. They also have a museum up there with pictures and history. Pretty cool actually.

The hotel had some Beatles photos in the lobby. They were from the only time the Beatles played here in Minnesota. Manny's is the restaurant in the hotel and we didn't eat there this time but have eaten there before and they have excellent steaks and a huge $100 lobster tail.

All and all it was a great little get away.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floor have an excellent view of the city. We stayed in 2105, small room but very well...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Gina E,

Thank you so much for making W Minneapolis your destination for your staycation. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest! It was great to read that you enjoyed the Bob Bonis Beatles Exhibition on display! We hope to have you as our guest in the near future.

Thanks for stopping by!

Matt Hawkins

Reviewed July 29, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed the hotel. She booked this to surprise me on my birthday. It is skyway connected (close to my work) which is great during the Minnesota Winter. Also, there as a garage connected on the side that you can park overnight in for about $12 to avoid the Hotel’s valet at $29. The lobby has a nice club/lounge but if you want a more intimate experience check out the Prohibition bar up the elevator. We had a great time and the shower in our room was quite fun as well. My wife had brought a number of bottles so we just filled up our own glasses and went around the hotel and didn’t even have to buy more drinks although I am not sure if the hotel would approve.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank a_tribe_called_Chris

Hello a_tribe_called_Chris,
Happy Birthday! Thank you for celebrating with us at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your special day and enjoy the accessibility of the W to the Minneapolis skyway system! Hope to see you soon!

SIP. BASK. CELEBRATE.