“Good Staff, comfortable room, decent dining options”

W Minneapolis - The Foshay
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed May 6, 2014

The staff are very accommodating, the rooms had oversized showers, which were quite pleasant for the minneapolis cold. I really enjoyed the dining options within moderate walking distance (even in the minneapolis cold). The onsite dining is one of the best steakhouses in the country apparently. However the prices were rather astronomical on a per diem so I had to pass.

My only gripe was that when i checked out, i was told of a $97 mini-bar charge. Despite the fact that I had the green-choice option, meaning no housekeeping staff had entered my room at any point during my 2 night stay, the minibar was locked the entire time, and i didn't have a key to open it.

The front desk people were very reasonable in taking care of the charge, so no harm, no foul.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Hello HC_LA,
Thank you for visiting snowy Minneapolis from sunny LA; it was a pleasure to have you as our guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. I am happy you enjoyed the central location and accessibility of the hotel to restaurants and entertainment in the heart of the city. My personal apologies there was an erred honor bar charge on your folio, but am glad the issue was resolved right away. Thank you for making a sustainable decision with our Make A Green Choice Program as well!
Best Wishes,
Matthew Hawkins

Write a ReviewReviews (1,300)

Reviewed May 1, 2014

The lobby is the usual multicoloured W theme but this is inside an old classical building and I am not sure the two go together ! Check in was friendly and efficient but I was surprised at the room. It's almost like the old rooms are untouched with a few W staples to jazz them up a little. The room was dark and just not a W feel atall. My bathroom floor was tiled and freezing, just overall not a great experience. Breakfast in the cafe next door however absolutely superb !

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
ComplexHotelMGMT, Public Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

DeboraTravels,

Hello from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! Thank you for this fabulous review, it's great to see you traveled across the big pond to visit us here at the historic Foshay! It will be my pleasure to share your review with the team!

Best,

Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the W for my husband birthday. Everybody was very nice and helpful. Justin at the front desk send cupcakes for my husband, bottles of water and a card. That was a very nice gesture. We had a blast. Prohibition is always fun and the brunch at mannys is one of the best in town. We had a great time at the W and really enjoy our stay.

• Stayed: April 2014
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Paola C,

Thank you for this fabulous review! We are so thankful to have had the opportunity to be a part of the celebration and glad to read you enjoyed the sweet simple treat! Please come back and visit us soon!

Cheers!

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Every since my first stay at a W property (W Seattle), I have become obsessed with the brand. Whenever I visit one, I know I'm in for a treat. From the plush mattress, to the awesome restaurants, bars, Bliss amenities, and Whatever/Whenever service, it's an experience not to be missed. I can definitely say that W Minneapolis lived up to all of my expectations. I stayed in a Fantastic Suite and the room did not disappoint. From the moment I stepped into the Living Room of my suite, I was amazed by all the contemporary decor. W hotels have the most comfortable beds available and I must say that the bathroom in itself was a treat. it features a huge shower, and a bathtub which sits beside a window overlooking the Minneapolis skyline. I love the sink side six package of Bliss products that is available in your guest room. I love to experience all aspects of the hotel; therefore, I visited the museum and observation deck atop the hotel, ate at Manny's, ate at Key's Cafe, got drinks from Prohibition, hung out in the Living Room, and enjoyed a little rest and relaxation as well. The lighting at the welcome desk is not to be missed nor are the original elements of the Foshay tower. Much thanks to Lisa and everyone else on the staff who made my stay one I will definitely not forget. The hotel is located in the heart of downtown and is easily accessible by light rail from the airport. It's a must do if you are visiting the Minneapolis area.

Room Tip: I think all rooms have great views but request a room on a higher floor. I stayed on floor 24.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Hello outoftownvisitor_11,

WOW! This is an incredible review to share with our team here at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! We can't thank you enough for your continued brand loyalty to W Hotels! It's great to read that we exceeded your expectations! Thank you for taking the time to share your W Minneapolis story amongst the many you have. It was our pleasure to have you as a guest & we can't wait to hear which W Hotel you're off to next!

Whatever/Whenever,

Reviewed April 30, 2014

I grew up hearing stories from my father of the Foshay Tower and how impressive it was as the once tallest building in downtown Minneapolis. My dad grew up in the depression and lived through the times where everyone carried themselves in a manner or respect and grace. My beloved husband and I try to live with this same class in times today. My favorite part about the W is that this place is filled with people who carry themselves they way you imagine they would have in the Foshay Tower long ago. It is this elegance and respect that brings my husband back again and again.
I recently celebrated the soon-to-be arrival of my first child with my husband and friends at the W and I couldn't have been more pleased! My friends hosted a baby shower for me there. I am expecting a baby girl and we wanted to stay at the W because we thought the color choices in the decor would be suiting. Far beyond just an exceptionally clean and beautifully designed room, my friends and I were delighted by the service from everyone we met there! While I chose valet, because my husband was going to meet me after the party and spend the night, my friends parked a block or so away. When they had gotten to the room, they had all of their gifts and decorations in the cars so we wanted to ask to borrow a cart. A very hospitable man met my friends and the room and walked out to the car with them with a bellhop cart. He loaded the items on and brought them all up to the room for us. The whole time he made delightful conversation with my friends. After the party, another young man came up to the room to help take the items down.
It was after the party that my husband and I truly got to enjoy the decadence of the W. I had booked the room with the "Romance Remixed" package which included a bottle of "bubbly". When making the reservation over the phone, I had asked that the bottle be non-alcoholic so both my husband and I could partake. After all the hustle and bustle of the baby shower, when I was taking a breather before my husband arrived, I realized that the bottle was not left in our room. At this point, it was already close to 9pm and I had checked in at 3pm. I went downstairs to wait for my husband and asked the gentleman at the front desk about the missing bottle. Seeing as how it was so late after I checked in, I figured nothing could be done, I just wanted to make sure. The gentleman checked my reservation and saw that I had requested non-alcoholic wine and mentioned that they may not have that in stock but that they would send someone out to get it if need be, free of charge. This was such a grand surprise to me and a delightful relief! My husband and I have stayed in many hotels and we have gotten more push-back from noticing things missing just minutes after checking-in. Within 30 minutes, another young man showed up at our room with a bottle on non-alcoholic wine and apologized that they did not have it in stock initially. He was sent through the "Whatever/Whenever" service to go get it from a nearby Target. I was so pleased!
Truly, the W is a fashionable and quality hotel. Moreover, they have some of the best guest service I have ever encountered! Every single person I interacted with during my stay (we also ordered room service twice and checked-out in person) was absolutely pleasant and professional! I think my favorite part about the W Foshay is that people who work there exude the class of a generation far-gone and are also as doting on you as a delightful grandmother would be when you go to visit her. At the W Minneapolis, you will find all the comforts of home while enjoying the lap of luxury.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Nadia E,

Thank you for the well detailed review of your celebratory experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! It truly was our pleasure to be a part of this experience & also to read such generous words about our hotel. I am happy to read that we were able to correct the situation & you were satisfied with the resolution. You and your family will always have a home at the Foshay tower & we can't wait to welcome the new addition to such a historical landmark & beauty of Minneapolis.

Congratulations!

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I just stayed at the W to celebrate my 30th birthday and I was very happy with the comfort and staff. The hotel has neat modern décor and our room was comfortable, clean and had a great view of the city. I really liked the waterfall showerhead and comfy king size bed. Our rate also included valet parking and a $30 drink credit to one of the two establishments in the building. We opted for the Prohibition bar as it had a more low key vibe. My drink looked lovely but was too strong for my taste, but if you are into Martinis I am sure you would love it. I should have stuck with wine. The location of the hotel is great, convenient to all the downtown hotspots and not too far from Northeast Minneapolis which is where I chose to celebrate. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kaitlin O
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Hello Kaitlin O,

Happy 30th Birthday! So glad you chose to celebrate in style at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! The iconic Foshay Tower displays amazing views of downtown from our convenient location in the heart of Minneapolis, especially from our 27th floor bar, Prohibition. Whether it is for another celebration, or a night of relaxation, W Minneapolis looks forward to your return.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I spent two weeks in a row in this hotel on a business trip.
My room was Clean and the mattress was comfortable. In fact, I think the whole building is renovated.
The service is good. I opted for infrequent room cleaning that is supposed to give me 500 points a day each day of not receiving the room cleaning to my "spg" account.
A very famous stake house is attached to the hotel which is convenient.
The hotel is attached to all the major shopping centers in downtown via sky tunnel. This is a major plus to me when it's so cold in long winters around here.
The value is OK. I pained around $200 a night (tax included) which is in par with other Minneapolis downtown hotels. I got this in a prepaid package the locked me in though. In fact I found a better deal for myself next to my business building at half the cost but that's the downside of a prepaid discounted(?) rate.
I probably will return here if I cannot find any less expensive deals in downtown.

Room Tip: Avoid the ice machine just next door.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Hello SiaKar,

Thank you for making W Minneapolis your home away from home for two weeks while on your business trip. We are so happy you have enrolled in our complimentary Starwood Preferred Guest program and were able to earn points during your visit for opting out of full housekeeping services with our Make A Green Choice program! We hope to welcome you back to W Minneapolis again!

Warm Regards,