“Bring your flashlight”

Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Houston, Texas
“Bring your flashlight”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

The W Minneapolis has comfortable rooms, a contemporary lobby, and reasonably sized rooms but the hotel is too dark. I know it is one of the themes of this chain but that doesn't make it enjoyable. Even with every light on in my room it was exceedingly difficult to read the newspaper. I mentioned this to the gentleman at front desk and he said they know it is dark but all W's are dark. I would not stay here again as intend to go back to my usual hotel at the IDS Center.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike D
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Hello Mike D,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your recent stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. We do realize the hotel is rather dim; to accentuate the art deco inspired contemporary design. As W’s Whatever/Whenever service promise, it would be our pleasure to ensure you have lighting that meets your expectations set in your guestroom prior to arrival. I am happy to add this preference to your guest profile so we can make your next stay most memorable. Please see my private message regarding this request. I would love to have you visit us again, thank you!

Best Wishes,
Matthew Hawkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel. It really encompasses all of what the W stand for. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Lisa and Danielle recommended great venues for my friends and I to enjoy. We even got complimentary appetizers sent to our table. These girls were great to work with and I will definitely be back.

Welcome, Greg I,

Thank you for being our guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! It will be a pleasure to share your fabulous feedback regarding the property and our stellar concierges, Lisa and Danielle! Our talent at W is here for Whatever/Whenever and we look forward to having you in house again soon!

Best Regards,
Cypress, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed here for two night after a business trip in St. Paul. I picked the W Foshay as it was centrally located to all my family in town and I wanted to be close to restaurants in case I needed to get dinner by myself.

The rooms are beautiful and well decorated. They were clean and modern and the bed was also very comfortable. The bathroom was very modern and very clean with nice spa quality soaps.

The only two issues with the room was that someone had taken a pen across the large flat panel television and it hindered watching it. You would think that someone would catch this and have it replaced before the next guest. I also liked the rain head shower, but would have like either a larger head or more water pressure. I also think if a hotel was aiming for the luxury segment, it would offer slippers, but I could not find any.

The workout facility was top notch and I was there twice. They have a great selection of equipment and free weights.

The attached Key's Cafe was also very handle for breakfast and a few lunches as well. Great food and great prices.

At night, they sometimes have a DJ and a dance club going on, but I could never hear them from my room late at night, so this was never an issue.

There is no self parking and the valet is $30 a night, so be prepared for this.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level room. My 4th floor room had a view of the wall of the building next door.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Hello Norman M,

Thank you for sharing your review from your recent W Minneapolis stay! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with at the iconic Foshay Tower, conveniently located in the heart of the city.
My personal apologies the television set’s visibility was not functioning properly. I am also sorry to hear the water pressure in your shower did not meet your expectations. Please see my direct message regarding your guest room number so I can address these issues with our Engineering team to remedy.

Thank you once again for your feedback to improve our property. It would be a pleasure to have you as our guest again on your next visit. Please reach out to me directly in preparation for your next stay, and I will ensure slippers are in your guest room prior to arrival, for those chilly Midwest evenings!

Best Regards,
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I've stayed here three times, and each time it gets better and I love the W Minneapolis Foshay more and more.

They run a tight ship. Seamless operation. As a business traveler I'm looking for comfort, efficiency and a sense of style, but at a price that won't break the bank (I've been impressed with the low rates I've found during my last two stays). Great location walkable to lots in downtown.

The rooms are so comfortable and have the magical W sexiness. The showers are fantastic. Desk/chair comfortable for working (although plugs are inconvenient).

Whatever/Whenever service is legit. The go above and beyond. Acura service is also amazing. USE IT!

Special compliments to Hannah at the front desk and Clayton at Whatever/Whenever.

Room Tip: Since this is a historic building, the rooms aren't uniform. All of the suites are different lay...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello MarkyMarkTXNYC,

Thank you for being our guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! So happy you have been taking comfort in our fabulous guest rooms including the luxurious rainforest showers for relaxing and our desks and chairs for your business needs.

Because of the unique architecture in the Washington Monument replicated Foshay Tower, there are nearly 60 different room designs and layouts. On your next visit, it would be our pleasure to provide you with a power strip outlet to ease convenience for the guest room plug in. It is the Whatever/Whenever service promise of W Hotels to accommodate your needs and grant your wishes!

Your kind words regarding the guest service and operations team are wonderful to hear! I will personally extend your compliments to our talent, and we look forward to your next stay!

Thank you!
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I was here one night for a business trip and was surprised at the amount of space I had. Of course, I could be a bit jaded coming from New York but it felt almost like a suite. My company, however, paid dearly for the room so I'm not sure I would have shelled out the money otherwise but I could have actually stayed 2 more nights.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hello Carmen B,

What a pleasure to have you as our guest, thank you for staying at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! I would love to welcome you back for another business venture, or a weekend getaway to the historic Foshay Tower to sip, bask and celebrate!

Cheers!
Cheney, Washington
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I used to see my doctor in the Foshay tower before it became the W so I wanted to see the transformation to a hotel. I stayed 2 nights in October. The location for the light rail from the airport is excellent. The hotel itself is quite dark inside and you walk past a dark bar area to the check in desk. I was greeted warmly and told I had been upgraded to a king corner room.

The room was small but well designed. I had 4 windows and the windows must have been of high quality with sound proofing as I heard no street noise. I was on the 16th floor with a view to the southwest. At night the city lights were pleasant especially the Target corporate headquarters. Target has a huge light display on the top of the building that reminded me of Blade Runner.

Knowing coffee makers were not in the room from previous reviews, I asked for one. A Keurig was brought to my room but only decaffeinated coffee was provided. I called the front desk and they sent the Jay to get some caffeinated pods from Target which is just a couple of blocks away. One nice touch, the coffee condiments have real half and half. This is so much better than chemical Coffeemate.

There is also coffee at 6:30 weekdays in the bar downstairs. There were also copies of the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Minneapolis Star Tribune and USA Today. Good selection in my opinion.

You can walk all over downtown easily, shop and do the usual city activities. Loring Park is a moderate walk away and you can get some green space relief there. There are also extensive walking paths along the river on the west side of downtown.

For groceries, Lunds is on Hennepin at around 12th. Great selection of food. If you are more organic in your eating, Whole Foods is on the other side of downtown.

Jay, who brought me the Keurig coffee also did duty at the front doors. I rarely opened a door to get in and out of the hotel. The staff is friendly, helpful and I had a great stay.

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong with a corner room with a view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hello franB479,

Thank you for sharing your unique backstory and reviewing your recent W Minneapolis experience in the historic Foshay Tower! It is our pleasure to enhance your stay with W’s Whatever/Whenever service promise, and accommodate any needs you may have. I am excited to share your kind words with Jay and the rest of our team, thank you! W Minnie looks forward to having you as our guest again on your next venture to the Midwest!

Best Wishes,
Savage, Minnesota
Reviewed October 9, 2013

So, we didn't stay in a hotel room but took the tour of the top of the foshay tower. It was amazing! The views are spectacular and they also have a bit of a museum that shows what the place was like in it's glory days.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Shelley R,

Thank you for visiting W Minneapolis in the iconic Foshay Tower! I am so happy you came to explore the Foshay Tower museum and observation deck on the 30th floor! It is a great way to relive history and check out amazing 360 degree views of Minneapolis. We welcome you back anytime for more breathtaking views, or dinner and a nights stay in one of our wonderful guest rooms.

Cheers!