New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of W Minneapolis - The Foshay

W Minneapolis - The Foshay
Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Minneapolis
Maple Lake
“old school mixed with metro flare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I liked the evening we had at the W but dont really know if the experience was completely for me. Don't let it scare you off as all the folks we met at the door, front desk and in the building were great andi room was also great.
We did get charged for something that we didn't buy on the mini bar and the drinks on the 47th floor were a little high but you go there for the experience.
Loved all the old wood work and being able to have breakfast right out of the lobby was also nice.
If you are younger and a city dweller this place should suit your needs just fine.

Room Tip: The front desk may work with you if they have addl. rooms available
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hello MapleLakeJoe,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect your recent stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. Your kind words regarding the friendliness of our talent are much appreciated, and it will be a pleasure to share with the Welcome Ambassadors and Welcome Desk Agents! My apologies you were mischarged for an item from the Munchie box, please see my follow up message to resolve this error. I welcome you back soon for another Whatever/Whenever experience!

Matthew Hawkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I enjoyed the W though I concur with the comments about turning up the lights just a teeny tiny bit in the lobby...thigh and calf bruises from running into things might match the purple decor, but they hurt. Kidding (sort of) aside, the room was excellent, housekeeping was absolutely immaculate, the doormen were a huge help securing friendly and cost-effective drivers in the mornings, and the food at the lobby bar was outstanding. The grilled cheese on the bar menu might be my favorite hotel upscale-comfort food meal ever.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Welcome, thelivingjuj,

Your comments are much appreciated; thank you for being a guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! I am excited to convey your stellar feedback to our Style and Welcome Ambassador teams regarding your stay! I agree, the grilled cheese from the Living Room is a total fave, and goes great with the Epiphany- a vodka pear and sparkling champagne W signature cocktail. Cheers!

Pierport, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Kind of a hipster hotel. Friendly staff and quick check-in.
Very dim mood lighting in the lobby and hallways.
Room was excellent and well appointed and everything seemed new.
I was on the 4th floor and had a view of a brick wall 10 feet away.
Huge shower and quiet room.
Needs more easily accessed power outlets at the desk. WIFI was not free, i can't remember the last time I was charged for internet access. For a hipster hotel that was so 90's.

Other than a bit pretentiousness for my taste it was a very nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Greetings, Pierport,

Thank you for being our guest in the historically chic Foshay Tower at W Minneapolis! I am glad you enjoyed your room and the lovely rainforest shower stocked with Bliss bath amenities. With nearly 30 floors of dazzling guest rooms, W Minny has an abundance of rooms with great views of the downtown. Wi-Fi is complimentary in the Living Room, and also to new Starwood Preferred Guest enrollers. Please let me know when you will be visiting again so I can personally make your next W experience most memorable!

Warm Regards,
Western Springs, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My first shout out goes to Jason who greeted us the first day and every day during our four day stay. He went above and beyond to make our family comfortable - even getting a larger room for us given the fact that we were traveling with our kids. Next shout out is to Erin who we met in the bar every night after each White Sox game. She was great! And she too went above and beyond to take care of our kids (and us!). The rest of the hotel was just ok. Not worth what we spent. The rooms seemed a little tired. I was expecting a little bit having stayed at other W hotels.

Room Tip: Room 611 is a large room and great for a family.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Hello WSFamily050,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your recent stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. It will be my pleasure to share your great feedback with Jason and Erin, for going above and beyond to make your W stay most comfortable! I would love to personally welcome you and your family back to indulge in another W Whatever/Whenever experience.

Best Wishes,
Napa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Spent 4 days last week at the W and would return. Service issues impaired the experience. I wrote up my 3 star comments on the Starwood site and noticed that everyone else gave it a 5 star. How could that be? I now know: my post was promptly removed from the site leaving only the glowing reviews. Shame on you, Starwood.

positives: great building/architecture; terrific corner room; large shower; wonderful meals and cocktails at Manny's; good downtown location.

Negatives: spotty service: housekeeping was uneven, eg, piling dirty glasses outside the room for days, incomplete turndown service; at checkin no offer of luggage assistance by doormen standing around; valet park was willing but challenged by the "text" notification of car retrieval which worked 2 of 3 times; confusing confirms and checkout: had 3 different room rates for the stay which was fine. But, that arrangement generated 3 confirms, 3 welcome emails from the concierge, 3 checkout notices and 3 requests for feedback to Starwood. No coordination across systems!

Loved the building and Manny's. Disappointed in management.

Room Tip: Corner room on higher floors are best.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cortez94559
Hello cortez94559,

Thank you for staying at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! We appreciate it when our guests take time out of their busy schedules to reflect on their travel experiences. My apologies that you were unable to view all of our guest reviews on our website; we love to read what our guests have to say, it’s critical for our success. For future reference, all reviews can be accessed by the sort bar featured that allows guest to customize their view preference for all 135 reviews that are currently available on our website.

I also want to personally apologize that we fell below expectations in regards to our style service and pre-communication from the hotel. I have brought these concerns to the appropriate department directors to ensure that we make every effort to look at delivering a more consistent experience from our guests. Your comments are vital to our success and we want to make sure that we are taking all feedback to help us meet and exceed guest expectations. Please see my direct comments for follow up conversation.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Perfect location, friendly staff, great night sleep and a damn good Long Island Iced Tea! Our stay was perfect, the only negative was when we went to the bar on the top floor - it was geared towards the early twenties crowd, but thats to be expected.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Hello AmandaG55,
Thank you for sharing your experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay with the Trip Advisor community! We’re thrilled to enjoy that you enjoyed our take on the Long Island Iced Tea! We hope to have to back to experience more of our cocktail culture at our hotel!

Happy summer!
minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Bottom line... This is where you stay when you need a great hotel in Minneapolis.
Here is the email I sent the hotel staff after my last visit.
----------------------------------------

I have only prose to sing of my recent stay at W Foshay Tower Saturday August 10, 2013.

I hosted a bachelorette party for a very unique and special bride who has a story of her own.  Making her wedding (and all details around it) an amazing experience is everyone's priority who is involved.

I realize every guest is unique and special :) but with W, as an individual I felt like the most important guest there.  I was treated with something more than great customer service from the moment I first walked in off the street to look at rooms and talk about rates.

I was greeted by James Jackson, a manager, who personally took me to a few room options and helped me set up my reservation.  He was involved in our experience the entire way through at check-in and check-out.  He was professional, polite, and an exact representation of the W!  Even when I called frequently and hoovered over the desk nervous to get in the room before the guests arrived!

There was no contest in Minneapolis, the W was top notch in atmosphere and luxury.  With such a clearly superior product, I worried customer service could lack - but I was wrong!

When I arrived to check-in, I found out I had been given a complementary upgraded.  When I opened the door to the room my jaw dropped.  This was the reaction of each guests through the door.  I have stayed at Bellagio Vegas (in a suite) - this room killed it!

From the doorman to front desk clerk, to the manager, to the maid - everyone had an A game at this A+ hotel.

I will never forget the evening and I will never book anywhere but the W hotel in Minneapolis and anywhere I stay in the future!

Cheers to you and your staff for standing out on the lost art of Customer Services!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Hello bsven21,

Thank you for the five star review, and for celebrating a special bachelorette party at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! It is the pleasure of W Minny to accommodate all of your needs to amplify your W experience. Thank you for the gracious comments regarding James Jackson; he will be so pleased to hear your fabulous feedback! Hope to see you soon!

Whatever/Whenever,