“Great stay!”

Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
“Great stay!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed here Saturday over st patricks day weekend, 2nd time in 2 weeks. prior to my arrival i got a nice email from the concierge welcoming me back and asking if there was anything she could arrange for me. Id only booked the basic room on a fully prepaid discount rate and so the email was just such a nice touch, i asked if she could have some vanilla coke in the room for me and she said not a problem! Upon arrival Saturday i was greeted at the check in desk and told they had placed me in the 'wow suite' which normally goes for upwards of $1k a night! I was blown away.

I got to my room and was further amazed to find a nice display of my cokes, a couple sodas, a nice dish of spiced mixed nuts, and a hand written letter thanking me for my business and welcoming me back!

The room itself was insane, one of the very top floors of the hotel, wrapping around an entire side of the hotel (only 3 rooms on the entire floor). 2 bathrooms, 2 tvs, 2 minibars and a serving bar, ice machine, amazing soaking tub and rainfall shower. Huge living room was just perfect for us!

Ive never had such a good experience at a hotel before, and will TOTALLY be going back!

Room Tip: Corner rooms offer great sweeping views of downtown minneapolis.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Colin L,
Greetings from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! I want to thank you for sharing this 5 star review with the Trip Advisor community! It sounds like you had many WOW moments while you were on property! We’ll definitely make sure that our concierge and the rest of the team has an opportunity to read your warm note! We can’t wait to have you back at the historic Foshay!

Whatever/Whenever,
Matthew Hawkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Korean first
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed March 18, 2013

There were lots of really neat things about our recent stay, but also several negatives.

The location in the downtown area is hard to beat. We pulled up on a busy Friday evening to the entrance on Marquette Avenue, where several hotel staff were busy dealing with club goers at the hotel's Living Room bar/club right inside. (Hailing cabs, opening doors for people.) I was surprised that no one seemed to want to help us with luggage, as my wife and I struggled with several pieces of luggage and shopping bags. No luggage cart inside, either, so we made the trek down a long hallway to the front desk, dropping things as we went.

The decor is pretty cool and trendy. We were assigned a corner king, which had a nice view out to directions. The room was a little on the small side, but this is an older tower, and the W has done a nice job with the space it has available in the rooms. Lots of smart layout and design. The rooms have trendy and chic accoutrements.

After some Saturday afternoon poking around downtown, we returned to the room about 4pm, surprised there had been no maid service. We called down and were assured we would get service after we left for our evening plans. That was OK, and I asked for an extra blanket since the room didn't seem to stay warm on this cold Minneapolis weekend. We returned at 10:30pm to find that towels had been refreshed, but the bed had not been made, glassware had not been replaced, and the extra blanket was no where to be found. A call back to the front desk remedied the blanket situation.

We found the bed in our room pretty hard, which didn't result in the best sleep.

We got some late night room service from Manny's steakhouse, which was REALLY good. Also ate a brunch at Key's restaurant attached to the hotel, and we'd recommend a meal there, too. The Living Room bar/club was quiet during the day, but with the nighttime club atmosphere and thumping music, was not our speed. We spent part of a late evening at the Prohibition bar on the 27th floor and that was a bit quieter, although a bit pricey.

The staff we encountered were friendly and helpful, but there seemed to be missing links without any kind of bell service and with questionable maid service. We're unsure whether we'll return to this W or not -- we visit Minneapolis often, but may try some other downtown hotels next time.

I also have to make note of the daily fee for wireless access -- wireless SHOULD simply be a free amenity at hotels. This W is like many hotels, with a daily wireless charge. :-/

Room Tip: Ask for a corner king -- they apparently have a little bit more room than a standard king.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wrigley62
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Hello Jim T,
Greetings from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! I appreciate the time it takes to reflect on your experience and I want to assure you that reviews from all of our guests are extremely important and taken very seriously. First off, please accept my apology for having an arrival process that fell below your expectations. The welcome ambassadors at W Minneapolis-The Foshay are without a doubt the key to a great start to a true W experience to the property; it’s not often that a guest finds themselves without assistance however it’s clear that communication to our front door teams that sense of urgency and attention to detail is necessary at all times.
Second of all, it’s disappointing to hear that our style team and whatever/whenever teams fell short of delivering great service. W Hotels prides itself on exceptional service for our guests and my apologies that there was a communication issue that did not allow satisfying this achievement. It’s my promise to bring these issues to my Director of Operations & Style to prevent these issues from happening again more or less to figure out why these issues occurred.
Finally, thank you again for sharing this detailed review with the Trip Advisor community. It’s important to us to become a better hotel and to provide a consistent yet fabulous W experience; we wouldn’t be able to do it without these important reviews. Please see my follow up direct message to further my conversation.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed March 16, 2013

It has taken me two weeks to do this review, because I was so blown away by the experience that I didn't know how to express it. I have been under the impression for years that all 4-star hotels are basically the same. The W showed me how wrong I have been.

When we pulled up to the hotel, we were greeted immediately by the valet and the bellman, who had us unloaded in under a minute. The bellman, Jay, was extremely nice and pleasant to talk to. He made us feel welcome from the start, and he waited for us while we checked in, then escorted us up to our room. (No waiting for our luggage!) The desk clerk, Brian, was very efficient, friendly, and helpful and made sure we had a fantastic room. Lisa, the concierge was a huge help in arranging our evening and was so incredibly nice. And Tony at the Prohibition bar upstairs made the end of our evening great too. I really can't emphasize enough how helpful, genuinely friendly, and extremely competent everybody is at this hotel. The little extras were far too numerous to even list. We're not snoots, and we're nobody important, but they treated us like we were VIPs for whose visit they had been specially preparing. It was amazing.

My wife and I want to thank everybody at the W for giving us the best hotel experience--by far--that we have ever had. Unfortunately, though, it seems to have ruined all other hotels for us! This was a last minute add-on to our stay, because we came in to town early to beat a snow storm. The reservations we already had for the next two nights were at the Wyndham Graves, supposedly an excellent hotel, but it was a huge step down from the W, and we regretted moving hotels.

It took us a long time to try the W because it's a little pricey, but now we know it's worth it. Can't wait to return to the W Minneapolis and to try the W Chicago and the W San Francisco when we visit there. We have always liked trying different hotels when we travel and revisit cities, but this is definitely our go-to hotel now in any city that has one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hello Iowa7!
We know it took you sometime to provide a review; however we are incredibly grateful that you did! By the look of your review, it sounds like you had an incredible time at the historic Foshay Tower! The team at W Minneapolis-The Foshay will be enthused to read your kind review! It’s also exciting to see that you have future W Hotel travel plans coming up in the near future! If you ever find yourself in Minneapolis again, please stop by and let us know how you are doing & stay as long as you wish.

Thank you!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Everything I love about the W. Comfy bed, amazing shower, great modern decor, funky little touches like a glass-walled shower. One's silhouette was visible to the room, so it was like being a go-go dancer (if you're into that. The 2 double rooms have real walls) The hotel is attached to the Minneapolis "habitrail" system, so even though it was snowing sideways in Oct, I was able to walk about downtown warm and dry. I came down with strep throat and Whatever Whenever kindly fetched me cold meds and chicken noodle soup from the Walgreen's and Panera around the corner, and directed me to the Ready Clinic at the flagship Target.

Room Tip: I was on a low floor w/ a view of the brick walled bldg next door. Apparently higher floors have cit...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hello Melissa S,

Thank you for this incredible 5 star review! These reviews are incredibly important to our team; we appreciate the voiced feedback from our guests! I am excited that you liked our version of “habitrail” systems in downtown! My apologies that you were under the weather while you were with us however it’s great to read that our whatever/whenever team was able to make you a little more comfortable. I hope that you come back and see us again even if it is just to say hello!

Warmest Wishes,
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was our second stay here on Super Bowl weekend. Unlike a lot of W hotels I've stayed in, this one has done more than just put in a bar and dress up the lobby.
The building is gorgeous, the rooms we have stayed in are interesting and the staff is great.

The upstairs speakeasy bar is just super cool with great Happy Hour deals, the hotel bar itself doesn't have a lot of soul, but the bartenders make up for it in personality.

Nice to use the hotel car when it's available, and have been lucky enough to get an upgrade and late checkout both recent stays as Platinum SPG.

This is an ideal location, and highly recommend the Indian place across the street as well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello ckccan,

First off, let me please take the time and thank you for not only your time chosen to submit a review but your continued brand loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide; we love our SPG members! Your choices in words are gracious and we couldn’t be more thankful! Cheers to the 3rd stay!

SIP.BASK.CELEBRATE.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The moment I got out of the cab, the staff were some of the friendliest I've ever come across. The hotel lobby is absolutely gorgeous and every person I walked past/talked to was amazing. Nice touch with water, apples and newspapers next to the check in desk.

I'd say the room was a normal size, but the bed was super comfortable and the room was spotless. The bathroom was gorgeous and the shower was huge featuring a rainshower head and Bliss products, very nice!

The lobby bar was very cool, and the upstairs bar, Prohibition was fantastic too! Loved that you could order off of any menu, including Manny's (soooo good!), up there.

Close to Target and the corporate office, and the other stores downtown, I thought this was a great location. Oh, and they have Acura's that can drop you off places! Unfortunately every time we tried, they were already out dropping others off, but the guys outside found us a taxi very quickly. Great idea though and really shows the kind of service they provide!

I usually stay at the Graves, which I love, but I really liked this hotel too. It's a little more dark and moody, which is why I liked it so much and will stay here going forward. The atmosphere and 2 bars made for some good socializing, where I find the Graves bar can be a little quiet. It just depends what you are looking for!

I didn't try out the gym, but will try to next time!

Thanks W, I look forward to my next visit to Minneapolis!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank l4lx
I4Ix,
Hello from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! What an incredible review; thank you kindly for your time and effort taken to reflect on your stay at our hotel. This 5 star review is definitely worth sharing and we hope to have you back at the historic Foshay in the near future; hopefully you’ll have the opportunity to try our complimentary Acura service and museum on the 29th floor!

Whatever/Whenever,
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Note matter what W I stay in, I am always expecting an eclectic experience. Unfotunately, I sometimes find their hotels a little too much like a singles bar and less a luxury hotel. However, the Foshay is a notable exception. Set in a very traditional building, the hotel has been completely updated to the W contemporary look, and provides outstanding service to boot. I arrived during a snowstorm and yet the sidewalk was completely clean and team members were waiting at the door to let me in out of the weather. Check in was friendly and efficient. Ordered room service and the food was excellent. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CLT_28211
Hello oldskool66,
Greetings from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! Thank you kindly for this refreshing review! It’s great to reach such an impactful review coming from a Senior Contributor of Trip Advisor! It was our pleasure to have you as a guest. During a snow storm, we want to make sure that our guests are comfortable and have the necessary tools in order to survive significant snow fall; us Minnesotans are great at providing hospitality as this can be quite the experience when a guest may not be familiar with Minnesota winters! Thank you for taking the time to reflect.