W Minneapolis - The Foshay
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites(Minneapolis)(Great Value!)
$188
$215
$197
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown(Minneapolis)(Great Value!)
$149
$170
$124
TripAdvisor
1,335 results
All reviewsobservation deckmanny's steakhousefoshay towerliving roombliss productscorner roomhistoric buildingcupcakesart decomini bartop floorrain showermain floorwater pressureshower headhell's kitchenvalet parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The moment I got out of the cab, the staff were some of the friendliest I've ever come across. The hotel lobby is absolutely gorgeous and every person I walked past/talked to was amazing. Nice touch with water, apples and newspapers next to the check in desk.

I'd say the room was a normal size, but the bed was super comfortable and the room was spotless. The bathroom was gorgeous and the shower was huge featuring a rainshower head and Bliss products, very nice!

The lobby bar was very cool, and the upstairs bar, Prohibition was fantastic too! Loved that you could order off of any menu, including Manny's (soooo good!), up there.

Close to Target and the corporate office, and the other stores downtown, I thought this was a great location. Oh, and they have Acura's that can drop you off places! Unfortunately every time we tried, they were already out dropping others off, but the guys outside found us a taxi very quickly. Great idea though and really shows the kind of service they provide!

I usually stay at the Graves, which I love, but I really liked this hotel too. It's a little more dark and moody, which is why I liked it so much and will stay here going forward. The atmosphere and 2 bars made for some good socializing, where I find the Graves bar can be a little quiet. It just depends what you are looking for!

I didn't try out the gym, but will try to next time!

Thanks W, I look forward to my next visit to Minneapolis!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank l4lx
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

I4Ix,
Hello from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! What an incredible review; thank you kindly for your time and effort taken to reflect on your stay at our hotel. This 5 star review is definitely worth sharing and we hope to have you back at the historic Foshay in the near future; hopefully you’ll have the opportunity to try our complimentary Acura service and museum on the 29th floor!

Whatever/Whenever,

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Note matter what W I stay in, I am always expecting an eclectic experience. Unfotunately, I sometimes find their hotels a little too much like a singles bar and less a luxury hotel. However, the Foshay is a notable exception. Set in a very traditional building, the hotel has been completely updated to the W contemporary look, and provides outstanding service to boot. I arrived during a snowstorm and yet the sidewalk was completely clean and team members were waiting at the door to let me in out of the weather. Check in was friendly and efficient. Ordered room service and the food was excellent. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CLT_28211

Hello oldskool66,
Greetings from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! Thank you kindly for this refreshing review! It’s great to reach such an impactful review coming from a Senior Contributor of Trip Advisor! It was our pleasure to have you as a guest. During a snow storm, we want to make sure that our guests are comfortable and have the necessary tools in order to survive significant snow fall; us Minnesotans are great at providing hospitality as this can be quite the experience when a guest may not be familiar with Minnesota winters! Thank you for taking the time to reflect.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

From the moment you step into the entrance of the building to the moment you check out, you will experience one of the finest, cleanest, friendliest hotel you will ever have the pleasure of staying in. First of all, you will be blown away by the lobby. It is beautifully restored and bathed in beautiful lighting. The check-in staff introduce themselves by name, and there is even lemon water so you can have a refreshing drink while you check in. Everything is perfect! Make sure you visit the lounge, the Prohibition lounge on the 27th floor, and take in the beauty that is the Foshay Tower. We were in the Fantastic Suite on the 25th floor. The art deco furniture was stunning. The room(s) were clean, beautifully lit and can I just say it again, CLEAN! There was a personalized welcome note! Very nice touch. There is a "Munchie box" stocked with cute snacks, and of course a mini bar. There are only a handful of out door observatories in the United States so make sure you go to the top, complimentary for paying guests. Sincerely wonderful! Highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: The Fantastic Suite was wonderful!!!! Large living area, TV in bedroom, separate bathroom with a sliding door for privacy. Large tub, mood lighting in shower!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Hello Fluffy5118,
On behalf of W Minneapolis-The Foshay; I can’t thank you enough for this positive review! It’s great to read that you had a terrific time and a unique W experience was delivered. We look forward to many more. It was my pleasure to read and to respond to your review.

Best,

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We booked a cool corner king suite on a Sunday evening for $107, which for the W is quite reasonable! Prohibition isn't available on Sunday, and concierge services aren't available until noon. I have stayed here before, a year ago, and that experience was much, much better! We were in room 1309 and it wasn't nearly as big as I expected it to be and my 'wonderful suite' last time had waaaay more windows in it. I also wasn't a huge fan of the huge window in the bathroom but at least they had a black out drape for it. The shower door in the bathroom wouldn't stay shut, which we informed the front desk of but they didn't offer anything to fix it. I was also slightly disappointed with the lack of art in the room, even though I realize the room is already quite artsy, it still could have a little more in my opinion.

On the other hand, the location is amazing and the staff is very polite and great to work with! The colors in the hotel are amazing and the 'lobby' is more of a swanky waiting area with a nice bar area too!

I enjoy the Starwood line, but I prefer the Aloft line better.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Lovemebassymusic27,

Hello From W Minneapolis-The Foshay; on behalf of our entire hotel, we appreciate your feedback in regards to your recent experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. We know it was quite the travel from Moorhead, MN and appreciate the overall positive review. I do want to apologize in regards to the concierge services not being available until 12pm on Monday; I do want you to know that our entire team is capable of executing any needs possible even if a concierge is not present; we like to call it Whatever/Whenever, all you have to do is just to let any of our talent members be aware of any needs and we’ll make sure it’s taken care of, that’s our signature promise to you; the guest.
I see that you prefer the Aloft hotels better and that’s okay! The one thing that is great about Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide is that we offer 9 brands that are suitable for everyone; whether it be W, Le Méridien, Aloft, Westin, Sheraton, St. Regis, Luxury Collection, Element or 4 Points by Sheraton, we know that there is a home away from home for everyone. It was my pleasure to read and to respond to your review. We hope that you’ll consider us again for future travels; we’d love to have you!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I had the pleasure to stay at the Foshay for three nights from 1/29-2/1 while conducting business in Minneapolis. The hotel is conveniently located in the heart of downtown and is easily within walking distance to shopping, dining, and even light rail to the airport. My first impression upon walking into the lobby is that it reminds of the hip and trendy Cosmopolitan Hotel in Las Vegas. The ornate art deco interiors have been lovingly restored, but the furnishings and lighting are very tastefully modern and comfortable. The past is paid tribute to while modern hip stylings compliment them nicely. There is a nice walk down a deco corridor to the front desk with the lobby seating areas and bars neatly tucked off in rooms to the side allowing for separation between the two. You know how in some hotels, especially in Las Vegas for example, getting to the front desk area through guest and public areas is almost like an obstacle course...that is not the case at the Foshay. Upon checking in I was offered an upgrade and luggage assistance, but politely declined both.

My room was on the sixth floor and while I had a view, I would recommend asking for a room on a higher floor for better panoramic views. However, with that said, as a hotel guest you have free access to the Prohibition bar on the 27th floor with its unobstructed city views and free admission to the museum and observation deck on the 31st floor. Therefore, you will find view access one way or another regardless of your room location. My room was very modern, cozy, and comfortable. The washroom was oversized with a vanity counter and a shower easily large enough to accomodate a couple(Sadly I am a bachelor. ;-) ). If you opened the door to enter the room, the bed and nightstands located upon the right hand wall. Immediately forward upon the back wall were panoramic windows with a business desk and fully stocked honor bar. The television was located upon the left wall. The bathroom was to the left beyond the television. There was a large closet with an in room safe and luggage rack tucked into the same wall as the door which suited me fine.The room was ideal for my business needs and would have also suited a travelling couple quite comfortably. The bed was exceedingly comfortable and I never once heard anything from another guest in the duration of my trip. Regarding the honor bar, like with most hotels the prices are almost laughable in their excess, but both a Target grocery store and a liquor store are within walking distance to the hotel, so you can easily purchase your own essentials. I did drink two bottles of water while there which came to $13.00. However, the hotel also provides one free, although small, bottle of water per day.

The hotel staff and services are top notch. I was able to use the complimentary Acura car service to conduct a business errand and the driver could not have been nicer. I appreciated the fitness center with complimentary fruit, bottled water, and plenty of towels. I had a friend in town who was also conducting business and staying on the property. He had to utilize the valet service to retrieve his car, even once at 3:00 a.m. and found them to be eager and professional each and every time. We also spent many hours unwinding and talking shop at the Prohibition bar on the 27th floor where the bartender we encountered was among the most skilled, decent, and genuine I have ever been served by. I say that having worked in the bar and nightclub industry and from having extensive friends within it as well. Sadly, I cannot recall his name because I would highly recommend him. He works closing shifts in the evenings. I recommend visiting the bar itself for the service and the experience the space provides. If I remember correctly, the bar space was originally the private quarters of Mr. Foshay himself upon construction. It retains the original historic windows and other interior features such as the stairway to nowhere. As hotel guests my friend and I also both visited the Foshay museum and observation deck upon the 31st floor for free and enjoyed them. There was a great detail of information about the history of the tower and the construction. Take your camera to the observation deck with you.

Finally, I must single out the hotel's night manager Brian Nylander for the passion, energy, and professionalism he brings to his job and of which he provided to both my friend and myself as guests. If you spend two minutes talking to Brian as a guest you will quickly discover he is genuinely interested in you and in providing you with whatever you may need. He clearly cares for the property and for the business. He is a breath of fresh air and if you stay at the Foshay I would recommend asking for him personally either in making a reservation or in addressing any concerns/requests you may have during your stay. In my case, he even walked with me to my airport towncar and shook my hand as I departed.

If you need a clean, comfortable place to stay in downtown Minneapolis either as a business traveler or as a tourist the W-Foshay should be on your short list immediately. I simply have no complaints at all about my stay there. In fact, I will be returning to Minneapolis in two weeks for a followup business trip and made my reservation already. I had no need to look elsewhere because I have found my go to Minneapolis hotel in the Foshay!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank JKPDX

JKPDX,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write and share this incredible 5 star review with the Trip Advisor community! I love to see our guests display such great detail from their memorable stays at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. It’s great to read that our talent members especially Brian N, are executing such outstanding service. We are excited to welcome you back to the historic W Minneapolis-The Foshay in the coming weeks! Please let us know if there is anything we can prepare for you prior to your arrival! It is my pleasure to read, respond and share your review with the team!

Whatever/Whenever,