“W is very swanky”

W Minneapolis - The Foshay
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Like most w hotels, the hotel is decorated very cool, service is good, room is comfortable. I got a decent rate so I chose to stay here. Being in foshay tower is cool, good views. I would stay here again if I got the same rate

• Stayed: January 2013
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Hello Haroldhood,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! We appreciate you the guest taking the time to let us know how your W experience was! We hope to see you back at the Foshay in the near future!

Thank you!

There are newer reviews for W Minneapolis - The Foshay

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the W for our anniversary and had an absolutely horrible experience at this hotel. The W is the equilavent of staying at a college dorm. The walls are thinly insulated and you can hear everything that occurs outside the rooms. There is a party type atmosphere on Friday and Saturday nights with people talking loudly, people boozing it up, and in our case, even getting arrested at 3 AM. The W evidentially does not care how many people are staying in the rooms. In the room adjacent to ours there were approximately 12 people staying in the room, a fight broke out and the management could have cared less. I had to call every hour on the hour for approximately 4 hours to get managment to eventually kick some of the people out of the room adjacent to ours. We literally got no sleep from 11 PM to 5 AM. When we checked out no one seemed to care about what had occured and everyone seemed to act that this is notmal for the W. This place is a mess. It is old, it is noisy, it is like being in a college dorm. We will never be coming back nor would we ever suggest this hotel to anyone. Stay at Motel 6 before staying at the W.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
3  Thank Jason M
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Hello Jason M,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with the Trip Advisor community. I would like to personally apologize on behalf of W Minneapolis – The Foshay that your experience fell below expectations. I would like to assure you that safety is our number priority for our guests when on property at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. We are fully committed to doing our best to make sure that disturbances are handled professionally and extinguished as soon as possible so that every guest has a great experience at our hotel. I hope that we can gain your confidence back to show you that W Minneapolis-The Foshay does appreciate and respects all of our guests. Please see my direct comment for follow up conversation.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

While I like luxury for leisure travel, I have been struggling to find a good central downtown business hotel that is top notch in Minneapolis.

The W has purposely hip/mod decor and knowing the rooms are small, I opted for an ultra mega spectacular gagolisciious corner room for an up charge. (The rooms are small but the absurd descriptive superlatives are free.) I didn't mind the dark modern decor, but to get adequate light levels you have to move around the room a bit.

I care about quiet, good control of HVAC and other a good comfortable bathroom. My major complaint was the shower. It is only a rain shower head and the pressure was absurdly low. I was on a mid level in the building and far enough from the top floor that pressure should have been fine. It wasn't.

The sink had a cool looking but wildly counter intuitive faucet also with very little water pressure, that made shaving tedious.

A quick lesson in green: if the pressure is inadequate and the temperature low and it takes you 3x as long to shower and shave, it doesn't help the environment.

Overall, the room was quiet enough, the other aspects were fine, but the rain shower head and low pressure was just annoying enough to prompt me to write a review.

I have tried almost all of the other central downtown hotels in Minneapolis and have not had any luck. (I don't think I can mention them here.)

Service and food at Manny's for breakfast was solid but very slow in the prohibition bar upstairs.

Side note: Why would a steakhouse that serves 'Murica sized heart attack portions of cholesterol slabs be named after the world's foremost cardiovascular entrepreneur? (I guess it helps revenues at St. Jude?)

Bottom line, not adequate for an elite business traveler.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator bank.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Hello RedWagonFarm,

Thank you for sharing your experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay with the Trip Advisor community. On behalf of W Minneapolis-The Foshay, I would like to personally, extend an apology to you in regards to your overall stay falling below expectations. We look forward to using your review to strive for a consistent W experience for each guest. In efforts of resolving all of the issues that were listed in your review; I have shared your review with our Director of Engineering and Executive Committee. We hope that we have a future opportunity to gain you back as a guest of W Minneapolis-The Foshay.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The Hotel was really neat and the room was clean and comfortable but watch out for the hair trigger temper of the bartender on the 27th floor. if he doesn't want to make your coffee drink
he will ask for your ID which 1. most hotel stayers don't cart around because they are already checked in and I am 53 years old.then when I asked to see the manager he flew off the handle and threaten to throw me out of the hotel also calling me a coward tring to start something. Most of the other people we ran into helped us except the the complimentary coffee area where it took an act of congress to get some decaf. The trip was a gift which included a dinner and Ajax comedy club.
These guys need to find something that suits their temperament because it isn't customer service.
Stay at your own risk.

Room Tip: corner rooms are the best because of the view south side for some solar heat.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank G w
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Hello Gw,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. It is my pleasure to read and respond. I would like to personally apologize on behalf of W Minneapolis-The Foshay in regards to your experience. We are currently having talks with our entire team in their respected services of the hotel in efforts to make sure that this situation does not happen again. We stand by providing superior guest services and we are currently taking all necessary precautions to make sure that we are meeting and exceeding guest expectations. I hope that W Minneapolis-The Foshay has the opportunity to gain your trust back and to provide you a great W experience. Please see my direct message for follow up comments.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at the W hotel for a quick little get-away. I had always wanted to go into the Foshay Tower and was not disappointed. The historic building was renovated when they put in hotel. The rooms are very modern but still comfy. We had a great view of downtown. We had drinks at Prohibition, the speakeasy on the 27th floor, which is fantastic by the way. We also visited the 30th floor museum and observation deck, which is free to hotel guests. All in all, it was a great little get-away. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Hello UnkleTomas,
Thank you for your outstanding review that you shared with the Trip Advisor Community! I am excited that your first trip to the Historic Foshay was an incredible one! Thank you for the recommendation and we look forward to having you visit us again soon!

Best,

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The W really packs a punch upon arrival: great location, a moody lobby and trendy decor. That is mostly where it stops, in my opinion. We weren't floored by the service, our room was itty bitty, and overall the hotel didn't seem to have a lot going on. We loved the bar on the 27th floor, it was cozy, intimate, and had a good vibe. The hotel is in a great location, we walked to Manny's for dinner and drinks. Otherwise, I would say there are other hotels in the area that would be a better bang for your buck.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AnnaMaris

Hello AnnaMaris,

Thank you for sharing your experience at W Minneapolis – The Foshay with the Trip Advisor Community. It’s great to get feedback as we can take steps in the right direction for areas of improvement! It’s great to hear that you had a great time in the Prohibition Sky Bar on the 27th floor! For future reference, W Minneapolis-The Foshay offers a variety of room type selections from a Wonderful Room to Cool Corner rooms and even a variety of suites; due to its historic structure, guests can experience over 57 room type configurations! In addition, guests of W Minneapolis-The Foshay of course have complimentary access to the historic museum and 30th floor outdoor observation deck with breath taking 360 degree views of Minneapolis! If you ever find yourself around the Foshay in the future; don’t forget that DJ Paris drops the beats in the Living Room Friday and Saturday nights!

Cheers to the New Year!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Service was great. First room not clean, was upgraded to a corner room. It was beautiful, clean, and quite. Was comp'ed a bottle of wine for the trouble. The downstairs Bar and DJ were great. We had a fun time.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank StPaulO

Hello StPaulO,

Thank you for sharing with the Trip Advisor your experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! It’s great to hear that you had a great overall experience however we should have had it right the first time! I hope you’ll forgive us and hope that you will come visit us in the near future!