“Mediocre behind the facade”

W Minneapolis - The Foshay
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The hotel has the pretensions of a great hotel, but it's air of cool is a facade behind which hides a rather mediocre reality.

First, the service. The staff is certainly nice and well-meaning, but the W did not reach the minimum threshold of 4* service when it mattered. I was woken up at 3am by loud music and partying in the room next to me (on a Monday!), and when I called the front desk a stop was immediately put to it. But considering the gravity of the situation (a hotel, at its most basic, should provide a sound night's sleep), there was no follow-up the next morning, no gesture to reassure me of the hotel's concern for its guests.

Yet in contrast to the lack of 4* service when it mattered, there are policies that are meant to allude to such concern. For instance. they call every person who checks in about 5 minutes after the arrive at the room to ask if 'everything is alright?' Amazing that they train their staff to call every guest (unsurprisingly making them sound harried more than friendly), even forcing them to mark of a checklist!, but when a guest is woken up in the middle of the night there's no ingrained culture in place to reach out to the affected guests. Gimmicky and hollow.

Same with the quality of the room itself. At first glance it's beautiful and modern. But go to the sink, and the faucet gets stuck and an engineer has to come explain that he has to replace them all the time for various issues. Or go to the beautiful shower and experience a low-flo showerhead that can barely get the soap out of your hair.

Maybe I was spoiled by staying at the Four Seasons last week, where a hair on the linen elicited a handwritten note, personal call and a complimentary bottle of wine. And it's no secret the W is not in the Four Seasons' league. But one does expect a level of service at a 4* hotel, and the W, despite its pretensions to greatness, too easily reveals its mediocrity.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank D3swooshG
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

DGswoosh3,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. We appreciate your detailed review and it is my pleasure to respond.
I sincerely apologize that your sleep was disturbed during your stay with us. The talent at W Minneapolis-The Foshay do everything they can to make sure that all of our guests enjoy a safe, pleasant and enjoyable stay. Furthermore, I certainly do apologize that my team’s resolution process fell short of your expectations in regards to this situation. I can promise that I will bring this sensitive situation to our Director of Welcome Office so that we are able to execute better if this situation is to arise again.
I have sent you a direct message for further discussion of your recent stay with us. Again, it is my pleasure to look into this situation; and I personally invite you back to W Minneapolis-The Foshay.

There are newer reviews for W Minneapolis - The Foshay

997 - 1,003 of 1,276 reviews

Reviewed September 18, 2012

My recent stay at W-MSP the Foshay was my first (and not my last!) experience. I was in the MSP area on business and stayed for 3 nights. My room was very clean, modern and quiet. The amenities and comforts that are provided in the rooms are worth every penny of the rates.

The staff on hand offered very attentive and polite service.

I will be back again regardless if my trip is business or personal.
Thank you for my great experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Livingthedream123,
It was my pleasure to read and respond to your review of your recent stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! Thank you for taking the time to share such positive remarks and I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and will be back! I look forward to responding to your next review!

See you soon,

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the W this last weekend. Let me begin with I won a gift certificate and without that we would have never stayed here. It's too expensive for us. But, we stayed in the King Wonderful room. Very cool colors- great view from the 20th floor- amazing. We enjoyed going to the 30th floor of the Foshay to see all of Minneapolis. We also visited the bar, Prohibition on the 27th- very swank. I ordered flowers for my wife for our anniversary and Danielle the concierge was wonderful. She took care of us. I did really enjoy the 10/10 service. Good workout facility, great bars, great service. There is no pool.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor for a view. The 20th floor was good for us.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

JimgMN,
Hello from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! First of all, congratulations on your win! What a great way to spend with your significant other! We appreciate your feedback from your recent stay! I am happy that Danielle was able to assist you with taking your experience to another level with arranging flowers! We look forward to having you back at W Minneapolis-The Foshay in the future.

Best,

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I was on a business trip. I stayed 2 nights. I have stayed at several W's and this was by far the best in customer service. Kenneth was the best. He remembered my name the entire stay and I was always greeted by Kenneth anytime I walked past the desk. He should be put on the fast track for a promotion. He is just a pure professional The person who checked me out when I was leaving was not as personable.

Room Tip: The room I was in ws great it was in the corner by the elevator.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Darren W
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Hello Darren W,
Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! I will definitely make sure that this review is shared with our executive team here! I am sure that Kenneth will enjoy your review and personal comments! Your review is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Reviewed September 10, 2012

First time in Minneapolis and a W hotel. I admit I'm a sucker for upbeat, gimmicky and flashy decor when it's done right. They definitely did not half-@ss what they were going for and The Foshay executes both very well. I'd like to also say they back their look up with classy and polite staff. We stayed for two nights and enjoyed the main lobby/lounge at night as it became a very popular, pumpin' and lively night club. Sleeping was comfortable and the feel of the room was relaxing even though it was chic and upbeat. Yes the showers have very low pressure but I loved it anyway because of the large rain shower head and it's overall design. With my average head of hair the pressure didn't matter. Room service was hit n' miss being fast one time and needed a reminder call the second. Overall if I make it back to the city again and can afford this hotel I would definitely return to The Foshay. I stayed at a hotel down the street at the Marquette for the next two days and thought The Foshay was waaaaay better on all counts.

Room Tip: Ask for a tower room with a city view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Blatherscite

Hello Blatherscite,
From all of us at W Minneapolis-The Foshay; thank you for this 5 star review! It sounds like you enjoyed yourself throughout the duration of stay with us! I appreciate the advice and insight you have provided for our guests and it’s my pleasure to return some insight for you: keep a look for our wow worthy rates as W Minneapolis-The Foshay does provide them! With this in mind, I look forward to having you back with us again at W Minneapolis-The Foshay.

SIP.BASK.RELAX.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I've had the pleasure of staying at the Foshay more then one time. Each stay get's better and better. Service is quick and attentive and the rooms are clean and quiet.

Make sure to make a trip to the top floor at the lounge "prohibition" for a drink and a breathtaking view of Minneapolis.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Hello FourSeasonsCable,
Thank you! It makes me ecstatic to read that your stays at W Minneapolis-The Foshay are getting better and better. Delivery a consistent W guest experience is very important to all of use and we couldn’t do it without guests like you sharing your experiences with us. I hope that you are well on your way to great rewards with our Starwood Guest Preferred program as you are a repeat guest with us! I look forward to your next review!

Best,

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed at the W for a girls night last spring. The hotel was fun, swanky, clean and all-around lovely. The W is accessible by walking to many of the downtown hot spots. The W lounge was a great way to end the night with fantastic drink, DJ and dancing. A great value as well.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kristen M

Hello Kristen M!
I am glad that you and your girlfriends had a great time at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! Any night is a great night for a girl’s night getaway! We hope to see you on the scene at the Foshay in the near feature looking your best! W Minneapolis-The Foshay is always reading your comments on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!