“Why charge?”

Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Tokyo, Japan
“Why charge?”
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Quintessential W elements as soon as you enter the hotel. The lobby lounge was a great spot to get out of the heat, have a tasty lemonade and get free Wifi access. But why do they charge $8 to go to the observation level?

Stayed July 2012
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Hello Hoffster,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the Trip Advisor Community; I am glad that you enjoyed our living room. The observation deck and museum is operated through a third party and because the Foshay Tower is part of the National Historic Registrar; there is an admission charge.

Best,

W Minneapolis-The Foshay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Korean first
Altoona, Iowa, United States
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This was my favorite W. I've stayed at W's in Chicago, New York and LA and I truly liked the W Foshay the best. At others, my rooms were cramped or really dark (as is the W style). However, my room at the W Foshay was well laid out, spacious for a hotel room and plenty of natural light, if I wanted it.

The Living Room was a great place to meet with colleagues and socialize. Very upscale decor, yet cozy and very attentive bar staff.

I highly recommend the W Foshay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Tracy S,
Hello from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! That is so cool that we are your favorite W, we know there is some serious competition within the W family =) Thank you for the recommendation!

SIP.CELEBRATE.ENJOY.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We also got this hotel through Priceline. And overall we we very happy with the hotel. Staff was very good, especially the valets as they were quick and efficient each time they brought our car. Room was fun and funky and we loved the shower. Bed was terrific and room was perfect temp for sleeping - (cold). Our only complaint - no coffee in the room and you would have to go out or to the hotel restaurant for coffee - which can add to the cost of the room. Especially if you add the cost of parking into your nightly cost.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello jkg93!

We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at W Minneapolis-The Foshay and furthermore thank you for sharing your review with us! We are currently strengthening our in-room communication in regards to options for coffee and we do want our guests to know that a limited amount of coffee makers are available through our signature whatever/whenever service! We realize that having a morning cup of Joe is ideal and we want do everything we can to make sure our guests get it! We hope to see you at the historic Foshay soon!

Whatever/Whenever,
Seat31E
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The renovated art deco classic building is great and the rooms were actually pretty large compared to many other W Hotels. As always, the bed, linens and towels were great. The showers, however, are horrible. The water pressure from the shower heads are terrible. I called engineering and the gentleman confirmed that the hotel changed out all the shower heads and, yes, they are terrible. As a male, I could barely get the soap out of my hair, Housekeeping should also be stepped up. The first room I was provided was superficially clean, but many things needed real cleaning--there was wine splattered on the wall, the carpets needed some work and the bathroom should have been MUCH cleaner. I was changed to a new room that was much better.

Room Tip: No view under the 5th floor--i was looking into a brick wall on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, July 21, 2012

Hello Seat31E,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor Community. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. W Minneapolis- The Foshay is currently investigating this issue and will be in direct contact with you for follow up. Also, we are working with our Director of Operations and Director of Style to ensure that our cleaning standards are being met and exceeded to ensure a great W experience. We appreciate your time and look forward to following up with you.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I will say up front this room and hotel was booked through priceline so it was the luck of the draw. However I believe a reservation is a reservation. I arrived at 430 pm to check in which was 90 minutes after the confirmed check in at 3pm and was unable to be accommodated. I was told "a hundred people just checked in and the room is not ready". Really? I was finally given a room at 545pm. I have traveled extensively and stayed in many hotels and never not been accommodated after the check in time. I find this unacceptable from a hotel who accepts the rating it does. The room however was clean and the bed was indeed comfortable. Waking up to leave early at 6 am the next morning there was no hot water to be had out of the bathroom faucet no matter how long I let it run. The shower however did have hot water but come on again.. really? 4 stars? No.

Lastly, the parking options for this hotel are just plain poor. Essentially you pay $28 a night for valet. Yes you can come and go as you need but this is pricey for the area and there is no self-park option like every other hotel in the area. And I have stayed at all these hotels in the area and they do indeed earn their 4 star rating. This W - all facade. Disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Hello Mark_FL_1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. On behalf of W Minneapolis-The Foshay, I would like to apologize for your delayed check-in arrival process. We do accommodate large group arrivals that can delay another guest’s arrival however we want to be able to check guests into the hotel within a timely and efficient process. I will follow up and review with my Welcome Office team on how we can better attend to our needs of our guests when their arrival process is delayed.
Finally, W Minneapolis-The Foshay does offer valet service for $28.00 for 24 hours; however this price does remain competitive within the downtown area. For future travels to the area, multiple municipal parking ramps are available on the adjacent sides of the hotel. I personally thank you for your time.

Warm regards,

Minnesota
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We got a great deal on the W through Priceline!! Early check-in was not available due to the hotel being booked (Kenny Chesney/Tim McGraw concert), however, they called us once our room was ready and we were unexpectedly upgraded.
Service - Both the front desk and valet were very friendly.
Room - very clean and comfy.
Dining/Bar - we didn't eat here this time and only had time for one drink at the bar.
Location - walking distance to Target Field and the restaurant/bar district.
While we would never spend $250+ to stay at this hotel, we had no complaints with our stay.

Room Tip: They do offer a complimentary car service on a first come/first served basis.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello beachluvr,

Thank you for taking the time from your busy summer to let us know about your experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. I am glad that we were able to provide an upgrade for your stay and we appreciate your patience. We hope to see you back at the historic Foshay in the near future and thank you for stopping by!

Best,
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great location...literally walked 4 blocks from metro link. Great value. Checked into a room w a king for two (1102)- could barely walk around bed and unpack without tripping or hitting my head on TV attached to wall. Amenities were great, maid service and service at the bar spectacular, unfortunately desk service was unreachable around 10pm in person for info. Keys' bloody Marys were the right medicine in the mornings.... gym was adequate.

• Stayed July 2012
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Hello frk3907,
From the entire team at W Minneapolis-The Foshay, thank you for sharing your review! I am glad that you loved our location which is 4 blocks from the metro light rail and I enjoyed reading your comment about the delicious Bloody Mary! We hope to see you back soon!

SIP.CELEBRATE.ENJOY.