“Loved the W! I hope to stay in more in other cities”

W Minneapolis - The Foshay
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed two nights in the Minneapolis W. I booked a Fantastic Suite online and prepaid for a fantastic rate of $275.40 per night plus taxes and parking. We were on the 25th floor and there were only 4 rooms on that floor. The suite was beautiful and huge, two flat screen tv's, both a shower and tub, and living room/work area..windows all around! The tub had a huge window behind it and it was wonderful to lie in a bubble bath and look out at the city lights. I would recommend planning and paying ahead to be able to experience this wonderful hotel. We had a little trouble with the plugs working to use the coffee maker and coffee they will deliver just for the asking but found out we just needed to have the light switches on...so easy..just need a little note posted. Everyone we asked for help was wonderful...whenever whatever works! I can't believe they are not higher on the trip advisor list. It was fun!

1  Thank Scook112301
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Hello Scook112301,

Thank you for your contributions to Trip Advisor! We appreciate such a gracious review coming from a Top Contributor for Trip Advisor! Thank you for the recommendation and I will definitely share your feedback with the entire team and see if we can get a note up there in regards to the light switch! We strive to provide consistent, top notch guest services as to what W Hotels Worldwide are known for and with reviews like yours we will have a higher ranking in no time!

SIP.BASK.CELEBRATE.
Matthew Hawkins

Write a ReviewReviews (1,311)

Reviewed June 8, 2012

I was very impressed with the W Foshay in Minneapolis, at first...
The room was a very good size. The staffs were very friendly. I booked a very good room rate through the hotels reservation line by making an advanced purchase on the reservation. The location was also very good, putting me in walking distance to all the downtown attractions.
When I gave my car to the valet attendant, I was told the parking was $20 per day with in and out privileges. When I checked out, I found the bill to be $30 per day. I received an auto email from the GM asking how my stay was, and I responded with my concern about the parking cost. The hotel/GM never responded to me. It’s nice that they go through the motions of customer satisfaction, but it is evident that they do not really care. If they did, a courtesy reply would have been sent.
The reasons I give this hotel a low mark is the parking and bar charges are way too high. I have no problem paying New York prices in New York, but $30 for parking and $15 for a drink at the bar, in Minneapolis? Also the indifference of the GM in responding to customers concerns is shameful.

Room Tip: Make sure to confirm all the costs before checking in. If you follow up with a problem after you lea...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2012

Hello ChicagoJohnChicago,

Thank you for providing feedback about your experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. My apologies that we weren’t able to acknowledge your concerns promptly, however we try our best to respond back to all guest inquiries at a timely matter. Furthermore, I would like to apologize that you were misinformed about our valet parking services; in efforts to strengthen our communication in regards to valet pricing, we have posted our confirmed valet prices conveniently located at the front entrance of hotel at the valet podium. Please see my direct message for follow up conversation.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

Stayed for two nights with my wife and dog - remember that W hotels are all completely pet-friendly, which is a big plus. I had wanted to stay at the Ivey, which is a SPG luxury collection hotel and which I've heard great things about, but they had a strict 30lb max dog weight and my 80lb dog wan't going to squeeze through that. I threw down a couple of my SPG upgrade nights and ended up with a very nice 1br suite on the top floor with nice views of the city and a Starbucks one block away. The entire Foshay building, which has a lot of history behind it, tapers upward so that the top floor is rather small. From the fire floor plan on the door it looks like the floor has four large suites and that's it. Service was as expected from a W, with the exception of their pet services. My wife had looked online at their pet services and was looking forward to the dog bed concierge among the many other perks they claimed to offer. When I checked in with an 80lb dog by my side and signed the pet consent form and paid the pet cleaning fee at the front desk (all told, prety hard to miss the fact that we were checking in with a dog) none of these services were evident, mentioned, or offered. Not that our dog cared, but I would call that one step below the expected service level at a W. Other than that, the hotel is great and if you want to stay ina nice place with the family pet, it's your best option. The downstaris bar is very hip and happening at night, and Manny's, the steakhouse downstairs, is excellent. The hotel also has a bar, Bootleggers, on the floor below the top floor, which is fairly popular on weekend nights. Despite having a bar below us, I noticed no noise, but there do tend to be a lot of people trying to get to it via the elevator, which makes waits long and means you have to squeeze in uncomfortably witha bunch of drunk idiots, but it's not that bad.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

First of all, thank you for your continued brand loyalty with the Starwood Preferred Guest Program and W Hotels Worldwide. I can’t thank you enough for sharing your comments about your stay with us as we learn from these reviews and strive to execute a consistent on brand W experience for every guest. I would like to apologize for falling short of expectations with our P.A.W (Pets Are Welcome) program. As you are aware, W recognizes that our travelers don’t like to be away from their pets for long periods of time and their pets are just as important to us as their pet owners. I would like to further look into why we failed to recognize your travel companion. I hope that you can accept my apology in regards to this matter. Please see my direct message for a quick follow up.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

This is an outstanding property even though the Spectacular Room I stayed in was not that large. The atmosphere is definitely modern chic and the toiletries and in-room minibar all reflected a superb sense of style. I ordered room service and it was relatively prompt and the food was good (and expensive). The bar was definitely cool but it was not necessarily the place to have a quiet drink after a long day - it wasn't overly loud but it just wasn't a quiet place. The service everywhere was prompt and the usual for a higher end Starwood property. Finally, this hotel's central location is a great benefit if you have business / entertainment downtown.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bt_mpls_traveler
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Hello bt_mpls_traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with the Trip Advisor Community! We greatly appreciate sharing your feedback with the entire team! When you are in Minneapolis again, please stop by, enjoy the ambiance and stay a while.

Stay cool this summer,

Reviewed June 2, 2012

My wife and I had an enjoyable two nights here last weekend. I would really like to give The W Foshay a higher rating because it really was a great trip, and in general a nice property with reasonable rates. Unfortunately there were a few important place where it fell short.

We stayed in a Fantastic Suite on the 24th floor. There are so many comments about the decor in this place, I'll just say this: It's exactly what it is supposed to be. Good in low lighting, a little dated, but sexy and hip regardless. It is style before substance, but it's art deco folks, that's part of what you're paying for (and they don't totally throw comfort out the window in pursuit of beauty).

The good:

The view was really amazing and the furnishings were as expected. The bathroom was huge and between the large tub over looking the city and super-sized shower, I couldn't make up my mind. We didn't have any trouble with the water pressure or elevator noise. The coffee table books were interesting and played to The W branding in a fun way (and I'm a sucker for little touches like that). Room service was good and very prompt. The woman who checked me in was nice and helpful as were all Whatever/Whenever operators. The bed was very comfortable.

Prohibition is a great spot. Service was good, even during busy weekend nights. Happy hour is a bargain (I'm still thinking about the Cherry Blossom cocktail) and it's just a comfortable space (but very different at different times of day, which was just fascinating). While cocktails from the regular menu will run you about $15 each, that is what you should be paying for a craft cocktail at a downtown hotel bar. As long as it'd made well and with good ingredients, I am more than happy to fork that over, Especially when it comes with views and people watching like that!

The museum is interesting but small. Absolutely worth a visit during your stay.

The Acura Experience is really convenient, use it!

Whatever/Whenever operators are very both friendly and professional.

The gym is small but sufficient and the equipment is well cared for.

Location! If you are working or playing downtown, skip the rental car.

The bad:

The suite was pretty rough around the edges. A towel hanger fell off the wall in the bathroom. There were excessive black marks on the base boards and entertainment center, and the door to the mini bar look like it came from a salvage yard. House keeping was a little iffy, the only noise we heard from outside the room was them slamming the door to get supplies. The air was pretty loud too (which is fine, it's an older building and folks who complain about the water pressure should probably remember that). Some sort of fan or white noise would make those great beds feel so much better. I order two firm pillows, but got two really soft ones and was too tired to do anything about it.

Shortly after check in I was going to run some errands and stopped at the concierge desk to get directions and set up a car service. I waited. And waited. I peeked around the corner at the Welcome Desk. They were slammed. I waited some more. Someone else came along. They waited. Eventually the woman waiting with me flagged down a bell hop and he tried to radio for someone to no avail. He was great and asked if there was anything he could do, but he wasn't going to actaully be able to help either of us (although he should get a raise because when he saw me later he remembered me and asked if I was able to get my needs met). So I went back up to my room, dialed whatever/whenever, got what I needed and left.

Waiting 15 minutes (and shame on me for waiting that long) for a concierge in a 4 star hotel that has made it's name on providing a larger concierge service is ridiculous. Not having your concierge desk staffed at 4:30pm on a Friday is really ridiculous. It is exactly the kind of thing that will keep me from returning to a place I generally really like. At the very least stick a phone in there so when no one is at the desk I can contact Whatever/Whenever without going back to my room.

I should also probably note that I emailed the concierge desk in advance of our stay asking for a copy of in-room dining option (because of dietary restrictions), and was told they couldn't provided that (no explanation given). I'm pretty sure there is a scanner somewhere in that building and it would have only taken 10 minutes to send it to me, but I let it go. I did notice that the desk was empty many times throughout out stay and for prolong periods.

The other bummer was the door staff, which at one point actually left me holding the door so he could check on the availability of a car for me. Thanks for checking! (Hey, um... why am I holding this door??) They were just hit or miss, sometimes with a great smile and a "have a good day" and other times not opening the door or acknowledging guests while they talked amongst themselves.

Lastly, coffee. Just put coffee makers in the room. The 2nd morning I found the business card sized "sign" on the desk saying they had coffee downstairs and would bring up a maker on request. This was so easy to miss it's like they don't want you to see it. At that point waiting for a coffee maker to come to the room seemed silly, so I went down for some. I was minutes too late, and instead paid $9 for two large drip coffees (after waiting over five minutes to be acknowledge by the staff, which again, were talking to each other at the other side of the bar). Classy W, classy. I get it, you have to cut it off somewhere, but I was treated more like an annoyance than a paying guest when I said I would still like some coffee after being informed "complimentary coffee service has just ended" (um, do you mean a few minutes before I walked in, or during the five minutes I've been standing here?). If I'm three minutes late to get coffee on the house I'll fork over some cash, no problem. But I don't expect to be treated like an inconvenience while doing so.

The Rest:

We spent half a day at The Ivy Club Spa, which was decent. There are many good restaurant in the area, and you should definitely try Hell's Kitchen for any casual meal (they are basically across the street).

While I might try this property again, it's not a given whenever I want to stay in downtown Minneapolis. It has a lot going for it, and most of the staff are great, but sometimes it felt like they were having their own party and we were the crashers. A little training goes a long way, and consistency in a hotel is an important thing.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Hello ethan_gets_around,

Thank you for taking the time to review and provide quality feedback for our team here at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. We appreciate the well detailed review and we want you to know that your comments are very important to us.
I apologize on behalf of W Minneapolis-The Foshay that we didn’t live up to our Whatever/Whenever philosophy; we should have been able to get you the in-room dining menu well in advance of your arrival. Furthermore, we are looking into your prolonged wait time for concierge assistance; we want all of our guests to receive any service that they may be looking for quickly and efficiently.
I would also like to let you know that our Director of Operations is taking the necessary steps to ensure that our door presence is 100% consistent. It is imperative as guest impressions are immediately felt at the entrance and exit of the hotel, as you know.
Lastly, we never want our guests to feel like they are an inconvenience to us during any part of their stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. We are committed to delivering a consistent W experience to every guest and that is a promise.
I can promise you that we are hard at work addressing all of your comments mentioned in your review; which again I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to do so.
I hope that W Minneapolis-The Foshay has the opportunity to showcase our improvements to you in a future stay and to prove we are leader in luxury travel. Please see my direct message to further our conversation about your review.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I'm a Starwood points fanatic and familiar with all their brands. I have stayed at a half dozen W hotels and always leave with the same, two-fold impression: 1) W is a brilliant, well executed business concept; and 2) I am not part of the target demographic. So, if you love the whole W thing, you will LOVE the Foshay. If, like me, you wish they would find a switch to turn on some more lights, you (and I) might do better at a more conventional concept. It is a very good hotel, but not for me, which is fine.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Hello Tom2592,

I love to see that our Starwood Preferred Guests are enjoying SPG points and sharing their expertise of our fantastic brands! Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review of W Minneapolis-The Foshay! Safe travels to wherever your next destination may be.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I've been traveling to Minneapolis a few weeks each month for work. I've stayed at the Westin downtown, The Ivy, The Westin Edina Galleria, The Meridien and the W Foshay. The W Foshay is my favorite. The staff is polished, laid back and gracious -- they're cool without being cooler-than-thou. The rooms are generous (especially the Marvelous Suites, which feel more like a big apartment or condo, albeit without a kitchen). Room service is always prompt and the food is quite good. The building is an historic skyscraper, built in 1929 by Wilbur Foshay, an art student turned utilities magnate, to echo the Washington Monument (the sides of the building slope slightly inwards the higher they go). The lobby and public areas still maintain a lot of the art deco interior from the original building. Prohibition, the bar on the 27th floor, is in Mr. Foshay's apartment, and is a nice spot to have a drink before dinner.

The building is located on Marquette, between 8th and 9th, and is walking distance to a lot of good restaurants (Vincent is a particular favorite of mine). I swim in the mornings for exercise, and the YMCA on 9th and Hennepin has a lap pool that I use.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Hello SF_EXEC,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! We can’t thank you enough for the generous words! I hope that W Minneapolis continues to be your home away from home and with more positive reviews to come! I am sure that the Trip Advisor community will enjoy the history knowledge that you have shared!