“Nice Hotel/Party Scene”

Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Duluth, Minnesota
“Nice Hotel/Party Scene”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

The W hotel is very interesting place to stay. The hotel is beautiful and very modern, some would describe it as funky. depending on the room you get they can be a little small but very nice. My only knock on this hotel would be prepared for the party scene in the lobby bar area. This is a "club" and the bar on the top of the hotel is a little more tame but same type of clients. Great hotel for 20-30's crowd if I was looking for an intimate place to stay with my wife or children I would stay at the westin. Otherwise great hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room they are bigger
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Dearjbp1477,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent W Minneapolis-the Foshay experience with the Trip Advisor community. In addition, thank you for the thoughtful comments in regards to the Foshay tower’s natural beauty and overall positive comments. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next stay with us. Great room tip!

Matthew Hawkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Korean first
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed January 22, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the W on a saturday night so we could have the hotel room sunday all day for a photo shoot we were collaborating on. We decided to stay the night saturday to have a little fun before the business. Upon Arrival we were promptly met at the Valet and helped with our luggage and equipment by Christian. He was so nice! told us some history on the Foshay tower, gave us some tips on what to do that night and got us a couple free drinks at the upstairs bar. The front desk staff was very nice, polite and ready for anything! our room was great, clean, comfortable and everything we needed was there or brought right to us with one phone call. Christian checked in on us to make sure we were doing ok and having fun. very amazing!

Some things we didn't like and why this isn't a 5 star review, we got carded 4 times trying to get one drink at the downstairs bar, everyone we ran into decided they were more important than everyone else. I almost sat in puke in the entryway later in the night and no one noticed it was there despite the 5 employees valet parking. there is no where calm and comfortable at night on a saturday night to have drinks and talk because those bars are so full there is no where to sit. unless you pay for bottle service.

we also had a late night run in with one of the valet staff who treated us bad. Christian heard about what happened and comped breakfast and lunch the next day for us!'

For the price we paid for a suite in this hotel and parking and food, it was not worth it. there are plenty other places that are very nice with great staff. Its a good thing we went there for business and to make money!! but we will be choosing a different hotel in the future!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Hello A P,
I want to personally thank you for recognizing one of our super star talent members Christian. Our talent members work very hard to make sure that each guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay is able to enjoy the many amenities that we have to offer, and provide a safe and great W experience.
My apologies that you and your guest were carded multiple times while enjoying cocktails in our food and beverage outlets. Safety and security of our guests is our highest concern and my apologies that you were inconvenienced by this matter. In addition, we are following up on service standards with our valet team and I am thankful that Christian was there to make sure that you were well taken care of. I would love the opportunity to invite you back to the hotel to gain back your trust within W Minneapolis-The Foshay. I have included my contact information with a direct message to you as a follow up.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Upon arrival we had to wait quite a long time for valet. On top of it no one offered to take our bags or even held the door for us. The lady at the front desk was absolutely fantastic though. The hotel itself is stunning. This is a very hip, yet sophisticated hotel. We loved the Living Room which turns into a club after 10, and Prohibition was a great place to "pregame" before we went out. The bed was ultra comfortable and we loved the shower & the purple light. very cool. On the downside, my room was very very cold. I turned the fan on high and turned the temp all the way up and still nothing. I would have called to the front desk to complain but my phones didnt work. The water took a long time to warm and the pressure was minimal. This is an old, historic hotel though so some things are to be expected. I've stayed at almost all of the "fancy" hotels downtown and this was my first time staying here so we were pretty excited. We both decided it definitely wasnt our favorite, but if the price is right, which i don't feel it was for what we got, we would try again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Aaron E
Hello Aaron E,
Thank you for taking the time to review W Minneapolis-The Foshay. I take every review seriously and appreciate this detail oriented review. We are currently strengthen our arrival process so that every guest has a unique and well executed W experience. I am sorry to hear that you were unassisted with your luggage which is a must especially when we have such high standards. Thank you for acknowledging the building being historic however we should have delivered a flawless experience during your stay. I want the opportunity to be able to become your favorite hotel in the downtown area. Please see my personal message for further discussion.

USA
Reviewed January 15, 2012

This hotel is typically "W" in decor, with a terrific steakhouse on-site (Manny's) and a really luxe bar/club area. The food and beverages are great. For a romantic getaway, you would not even need to venture out of the hotel. Have a great (expensive) steakhouse dinner, grab a martini at the sleek, modern, yet warm "LIving Room", head to the top floor to sip wine or cocktails in the library-ish, paneled, speakeasy style "Prohibition", and then turn in for the night! A great couple's getaway or equally great for a girls weekend, bachelorette party, etc. The rooms are small, but filled with modern-luxury. The staff was very polite and helpful. You may way to inquire as to the bathrooms if you are there with friends and are modest as ours had barely frosted glass walls that lit through to the main room. In other words - a shadow-shower show for whomever is in the main part of your room. Unless you want to shower in the dark. The minibar and amenity prices are absolutely ridiculous and it actually annoys me to even think about it so I won't cover that. In short, if you want cocktails or snacks in your room, bring your own. The W WAY overcharges for these things and things far too highly of itself in that regard. But that is a chain issue, and not this property in particular. As for cleanliness, the only reason I did not give it a full rating is because the lightning in the W properties is sooooo deliberately dim and dramatic, that in many cases I could not tell if they would need to vacuum or clean something, it is so dark. :)

In short, a great property with EXCELLENT onsite dining/drinking/dancing options. Top notch service all the way.

Room Tip: If you are modest, ask about whether your bathroom showers have actual walls or glass ones. :)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank caringmom
Hello caringmom,
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to share your comments with the Trip Advisor community. We are very thankful that we can offer our guests excellent food and beverage options such as The Living Room and the legendary Manny’s Steakhouse! Our dramatic lighting allows us to showcase the many art deco architecture features and the story behind the Foshay Tower. Rest assured, our adjustable lighting system allows for our talent to do a thorough cleaning. It has been my pleasure to read your review and I look forward to your next. I have left you a personal message to follow up on your review.

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed January 15, 2012

My husband and I loved the Living Room, Prohibition, and Manny's and had excellent service at all locations, each time we went. We had a really great rate, so it made staying there far more feasible. The valet service is obnoxious at night - especially on Friday evenings, when they tend to focus more on the bar visitors and less on hotel guests. All of the morning valets were great. Check in was very easy, however the lady in booking onsite was a smidge rude when we had called several weeks before we arrived to find out about extending our stay by one night so we wouldn't have to check into another site while visiting the cities.

Room Tip: Higher floors have excellent views of the area.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank luvleightoo
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Dear Luvleightoo,

Thank you for choosing to stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. I would like to personally apologize that our guest services failed to meet your expectations. We take pride in providing outstanding service to our guests enjoying the many amenities that W Minneapolis-The Foshay has to offer. I appreciate you taking the time and sharing your comments with the Trip Advisor community as we are able to utilize this feedback and continue to move in a positive direction. We look forward to having you in-house at the Foshay in the very near future. Finally, thank you for leaving an insider room tip!

Reviewed January 9, 2012

This W hotel is so beautiful and the staff is very helpful and friendly! We have been once a year the day after Christmas for the last 4 years and we will continue to go back due to their kind and accommodating staff!

Room Tip: I feel all of their rooms are nice!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Geni1980
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Hello Geni1980,
Thank you so much for sharing your recent W experience with the Trip Advisor community. It’s a warm feeling to know that W Minneapolis-The Foshay is your second home come time for the holiday season! All of us at W Minneapolis-The Foshay look forward to having you in-house in the near future.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stayed at The Foshay the weekend of NYE and it was wonderful. Super trendy/modern looking. My boyfriend and I got in late Friday night and The Living Room (a bar in the lobby area) was loud and super busy. My boyfriend and I are past the stage of bumping and grinding, so we were excited when we found Prohibition (another bar on the 27th floor) was much more chill. Prohibition also has some amazing views and lots of nooks and crannies to lounge or sit at tables. The hotel is very accommodating to every need (although they tend to charge for most of them.) Another big plus is Manny's Steakhouse is connected to the hotel. A bit pricey, but well worth the splurge for any meal. The beds were a little bit harder than I would've liked, but I survived.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Jenni M,
Thank you for spending New Year’s weekend with us. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of the many amenities that we are able to offer our guests! There is nothing better than spending the night sipping incredible hand crafted cocktails high above Minneapolis in the Prohibition bar where you can just take the “lift” home at the end of the night. The historic doors at the Foshay Tower are always open and will welcome you back on your next return to W Minneapolis-The Foshay.
My Best,