“Hip Hotel”

W Minneapolis - The Foshay
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed March 16, 2011

We stayed on the 15th floor, in a 'wonderful' room. The room itself was small, I would look into the next size up room (and price) if I were to stay again. The decor was interesting and I thought it was a nice change of pace from a typical hotel room. I did see a couple of spots on the sheets but all in all was clean.

The bathroom was great and had a sliding door (again different than most rooms).
The overall decor of the hotel was electic with unusual color schemes. We used the valet parking and I would use this again for the convinience.

The service was outstanding with everyone we met asking how our stay was, including someone that I assumed was maintenace. It was very nice to be able to walk to bars in the area. The two bars in the hotel were upscale, no tee-shirts here! I was glad that musis from the bars couldn't be heard on the other floors ( that I knew of).
I would say here again for a different than usual hotel experience.

There are newer reviews for W Minneapolis - The Foshay

Reviewed March 16, 2011

Two nights last weekend. Generally just excellent. Two items bugged us. One, why do high end hotels like the W chain have nice HD ready flat screen TV's but don't have HD signals for these HD TV"s??? What a waste of money. The standard def signal quality on our set was just awful. Do they not realize that to have HD, you need both an HD TV AND an HD signal?
The other complaint was that the bathroom sink had a funky faucet with little (very little) pressure and almost no hot water.....
Overall - I stay again - especially with the winter rates for a Wonderful Room ($178/night) .. which included valet parking - again a great price for this level of a hotel.
Having free coffee at Manny's was a nice surprise and their breakfast options were all top notch. Prohibition was fun and bartender Tony was excellent and gave us some good options in the hood for dinner and music.

Reviewed March 8, 2011

We stayed at the Foshay on a Saturday night to celebrate our anniversary. We chose it because we loved the historical aspects of the hotel. The hotel was very stylish and we loved the art deco decor; however, it was hard to enjoy the stay because of the terrible water pressure. We practically had no water pressure at all the next morning. The water trickled out of the shower and was barely warm. While my spouse was in the shower, I called the front desk who said "we can send a service engineer up" - not helpful given my spouse was standing in the shower with half shampooed hair. It took my spouse 20 minutes to wash the soap out of his hair. By the time we left that morning, we had to wash our hands in the dribble coming out of the bathtub because the sink didn't have any water coming out of it at all! When we checked out, we mentioned the issue again to the front desk and they took the $12.95 internet charge off of our bill to make up for our trouble. They said the attached restaurant, Keys, had water issues which had caused our water troubles. Given how much we paid for that room, refunding our internet charge after what we went through that morning felt pretty insulting. It's a beautiful hotel and the staff were generally nice but definitely not a good experience overall. We won't be returning to the Foshay.

Reviewed March 8, 2011

The W is back to being top notch. I stay here quite frequently and my last review was not favorable. I am not sute if they got new management but it feels like it.

The front desk staff were very welcoming (Michael) and helpful. My room is very clean and all the linens in fantastic shape.

W at the Foshay - you are my favorite hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We have just come back from a week long stay at The Foshay. It is a beautiful building and the history of the building has been respected in its refurbishment to a hotel and we had a great time in MInneapolis and in the bars of the hotel (we didn't feel anywhere near cool enough though!).
However, we found the front desk staff to be aloof and almost too busy being cool to actually engage with guests, in a weeks stay there was never a concierge at the designated desk and the front office staff were not massively knowledgeable to compensate for this. They didn't even seem to recognise us from day to day.
In contrast to this, the door team were fantastic, happy to help, polite, friendly and everything the front desk staff should be.
The other disappointing part of our stay was the standard of cleanliness in our room and in the lift lobby and the lift mats. During our stay a glass was left outside our room by somebody else and it stayed there for 3 days. The carpets were not obviously vaccumed and the dust in our bathroom was weeks and weeks thick. Our shampoo products were not replenished, even though they were nearly empty and difficult to empty properly. Also toilet paper was not replenished until I left the empty bag on the toilet lid. Everything in the room is chargeable, there is no coffee machine (although on our last day we noticed the tiny print on a postcard said we could ask for a machine- at what cost though!), bottled water is $8!
Don't believe the hype about Manny's, Ruths Chris is just across the skyway and 10 times as good! Manny's quality of steak is poor, it is fatty and just big for bigs sake (this seems to be their main selling point for everything). Our waiter spilt wine on our table continually, and we watched the staff generally, all very slapdash, in such a high end restaurant this type of service should not be present, it would not survive in Europe and certainly not at those inflated prices.
Inspite of these small grievances, we did have a great stay at The Foshay and would bear with them as they fine tune these issues and would definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2011

My wife and I spent a weekend her for Valentine's day. Everyone on staff, from the parking valets, to doormen, desk staff, etc., was exceptionally nice and cheery. The hotel is a repurposed office building that has been nicely done in a style best described as "Try-too-hard-hip." The decor is ultra funky but not garish, and apparently well-received judging by the crowd the hotel attracts. Our room was very modern, nice rainshower in the bath, but the bed was uncomfortable for me. Street noise was bothersome in to the wee hours as well. The minibar could bankrupt you easily. The location is good as it's an easy walk to Orchestra Hall and Nicollet Mall. A nice place on the whole, but I would say the target audience is 20 somethings.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2011

I've been to the W before for Mannys and for the Prohibition bar, but never stayed at any rooms. Sure it is swanky and a bit over the top, but thats what makes it kind of fun. Our room was clean and they upgraded us to a bigger room (Gold SPG). Not sure what the smaller "wonderful" room would have been like. We had 3 others come over and have some drinks in the room. Bring your own, the liquor in the room is extremely over priced. Things like the iPod dock are a nice touch, although the alarm was left on from the previous person and we couldn't figure out how to turn it off at 7:00a.m. after staying out until 3:00a.m. (I believe the maid service should turn off the alarm as part of their standard procedure for the next guests).
Hotel guests get a free pass to the 30th floor museum and outdoor observatory which is pretty cool. I wouldn't pay for it, but it was a nice view.
Overall a great experience and accomplished exactly what we wanted. Valet parking was $28 for overnight, which is obviously very high, but the Westin is $30 and most of the hotels seem to charge about this rate.
One other thing is that we were on the 11th floor and even though checkout was at 12:00 we left at around 2:00 and were not bothered or asked to leave at all, which was great. The room was EXTREMELY quiet (It was a Friday night; I don't even know if there was another guest on our floor) which was exactly what we needed.
Even if you don't stay here, you've got to visit the Prohibition bar on the 27th floor. It's the most sexy, swanky bar I've seen out there. Very unique.
I would have given the sleep quality 5/5 had it not been for the alarm clock issue.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple