“Authentic, but beware of spice!”
Review of Pagoda

Pagoda
Ranked #235 of 1,831 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: University / Dinkytown
Cross street: 15th Ave. SE and 4th St. SE
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I were in the area and craving Chinese. We found Pagoda accidentally, and decided to try it out. Service was good, and so was the food. We ordered Pan Fried Dumplings, Orange Chicken, and Szechuan Ground Pork. The dumplings were a bit lacking in flavor, other than the sauce that came with for dipping. The Orange Chicken was run of the mill, but good. The Szechuan dish was so delicious, but it was incredibly spicy. I believe all the vegetables in it were Thai chile peppers. The waitress was impressed that my husband was able to eat a good portion of it. The restaurant also had a variety of "hot pot" dishes that looked interesting- a few people near us had ordered them. I think I would try one of those if we were to ever go back.

Reviewed March 10, 2012

I've visited a couple of times recently for the weekend dim sum, and have been mostly pleased. It's good, quality dim sum. The selection is decent, with most everything you would expect in circulation. You might even find a few pleasant surprises. That being said, I feel the dumplings are the best. There is a good range of them, from the shark fin to the shui mai, though, surprisingly, they didn't have any crystal shrimp on the most recent visit. The pork bun, turnip cakes and sticky rice were all good. The spare ribs are also good, and cooked long enough to make them fall apart. But some items, especially the fried items, often are served cold when they shouldn't be. It seems they aren't turning over enough of these items quickly enough. After turnip cakes were served cold on our first visit (when the waiter put them under a heat lamp instead of bringing out a fresh set), the waiter brought us out a fresh one this time, and it was excellent. That's the biggest complaint, that some of the fried items are allowed to be served cold, when they know damn well that they are cold.

Reviewed January 17, 2012

They have a huge menu. Almost too big especially when I had no idea what to order. They also have a chalkboard daily menu with some interesting items such as frog legs. We were all happy with our orders. I had a seafood hot pot which was great. My two buddies, not so daring, had the General Tso's chicken which I sampled and found to be good. Pagoda is a decent restaurant. The employees were fun and knew what they were doing. The restaurant is clean and has good lighting. I would go again.

Reviewed February 11, 2011

If you value ambience as much as food, come to the Pagoda in Dinkytown.
It is spacious, well-designed in a highly polished urbane way. The menu is huge,over 800 items. I have brought several groups of students to Pagoda. We ate family style for less than $15 per person. Call ahead a day and ask for the tea-smoked duck. I'd like to see some steamed buns on the menu & maybe a more subtle kimchi. Ask your waiter to repeat back what you order to make sure you're being understood.

1  Thank TedT9
Reviewed September 3, 2009

Went to Pagoda for dim sum. Not a large selection, but what they do have are good. Very authentic. Servers were eager, may not be extremely professional, but they tried. Will be back for the items listed on the blackboards above the counter area; they are not listed in the menu.