“Excellent place to stay....very helpful staff...great shuttle....!!!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mendota Heights
Weyburn
“Excellent place to stay....very helpful staff...great shuttle....!!!”
Reviewed December 6, 2010

We stayed at this hotel in late November.The front desk staff were great! Melissa was fantastic! The continental breakfast was very good. The 24 hour shuttle service was great.... to the mall and the airport...the drivers were very friendly. The room was comfortable.... the maid service was slightly lacking....forgot our towels....also they had a policy that they would not touch anything on the bed, so if you left something on the bed, they would not make it.... never had that happen before....perhaps they should have something in the room that warns you of this, as we found it unusual. Ohter than that it was GREAT value. We found overall MSP a great place to visit...we hope to visit again!!!!!

Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
MendotaHeightsFF_GM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport, responded to this review, January 11, 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Picked this hotel for the proximity to my child's college and for the cost. The public areas were clean and orderly. The room was clean and nicely decorated. We had the extra pillows I requested. Breakfast was all we needed to start our day. The desk staff was very courteous and always greeted us on our way in and out of the building. It is very close (in the landing pattern) for MSP, but did not really notice the noise unless we were outside. It did not affect our sleep. Great stay and great price!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
MendotaHeightsFF_GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport, responded to this review, October 13, 2010
New Lenox, Illinois
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Love this hotel. I was late to breakfast and they still fed me. Thanks again so much!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
MendotaHeightsFF_GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport, responded to this review, October 7, 2010
I noticed that you took the time to share your experience with travelers on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your feedback and compliments on our hotel and staff. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Our staff works hard to ensure the best possible stay for our guests and it’s always nice to hear their hard work is being noticed. We hope you will continue to look for the Fairfield Inn & Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport next time you stay in the area!
San Fernando Valley
Reviewed August 11, 2010

My wife and I enjoyed a nice weekend getaway at the Fairfield Inn & Suites. Since we could not overly splurge, we kept our requirements rather simple: comfort, cleanliness, and value. The rooms and lobby at the Fairfield were stylish, modern, and simple, yet not too abstract, distracting, extravagant, or gaudy. The pool was nice, but small, and we enjoyed the jacuzzi. The staff and service was sufficiently friendly. The complimentary breakfast was nice - we enjoyed using the waffle maker, and the coffee was fresh. Since we booked through Travelocity on the same day, they did not have the type of room we requested immediately available, so we had to wait around for about a half hour. One drawback to the room was that the fitted sheet for the king-size bed was too small (probably made for a queen) and kept coming off the corner of the bed. It also seemed that a previous guest had left a dirty pair of socks in the drawer for us that housekeeping had overlooked. As for location, the hotel is near the airport, but on the opposite side of the airport from the mall. Since we had our own car, though, transportation to and from the mall was not a problem. In sum, we enjoyed the hotel for a weekend getaway while keeping our demands simple.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
I noticed that you took the time to share your experience with travelers on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your feedback on our hotel and staff. In your review, I noticed a couple of challenges that you experience with your stay; waiting 1/2 hour for check-in, wrong size sheets on your bed, and a pair of dirty socks. Our staff works hard to ensure the best possible stay for our guests and it’s always nice to hear their hard work is being noticed. With that being said, your challenges have already been communicated to our team to ensure we correct those oversights. We appreciate your buisness and hope you will continue to look for the Fairfield Inn & Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport next time you stay in the area!
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I had to unexpectedly stay in Minneapolis, and chose this hotel purely on price and airport shuttle availability. They had a very reasonable price compared to other hotels in the area. When I called them directly to make the reservation, I was a little frazzled and tired, and they were very nice on the phone making the reservation and sending the shuttle out. The shuttle service was very prompt at the airport pickup.

The room was pretty standard, but clean, and they had a nice LG flatscreen TV with lots of channels. One downer was that there was only shampoo and conditioner provided; no moisturizer (and I had not brought any with me).

The free breakfast had a pretty good selection of things. There were breakfast sandwiches to microwave, yogurt, cereal, fruit, waffles, bagels, coffee, milk, and juice.

On checkout, the woman at the counter addressed me by name, which was a nice surprise. The shuttle back to the airport was also timely and the driver made an extra effort to drop me off at a "non-standard" place because I was meeting someone who was flying in.

Also of note:
The hotel is newly remodeled.
The shuttle will take you to Mall of America.
There doesn't seem to be any food within walking distance.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 21, 2010

This is not a destination, it is only a good place to stay if you are traveling through. I stayed here because they were a lot cheaper than the other hotels. The food was typical 2-star continental breakfast, they had free internet which is important in a big city hotel. The pool was ok and a lot of kids were using it. What was funny was they gave me two bottles of conditioner and no shampoo, the first time I had this has happened in all my travels and I didn't realize it until it was too late to get shampoo. The nice flat screen TV with a great picture made up for it though.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Rochester, MN
Reviewed May 29, 2010

My wife, daughter and I decided to go to the Twin Cities for a little getaway. We're Marriott Silver Members so we always look for a Marriott to go to.

When looking at the various properties, my wife came across the special for the Fairfield in Mendota Heights, MN. Special was $65 for a Saturday night with a $20 gift card to be mailed. $45 for a night in a Marriott and we're earning points? Cool!

According to Marriott, the hotel had just gone under a renovation. We've been to other Marriott properties over the last 2 years that had just wrapped up their renovation so we knew that there are bugs being worked out but never had a problem. In fact, I LOVE Marriott properties!

When we checked in (early, because as a Silver member we can do so) I was told that the rooms weren't ready due to a full house last night. It was 2 pm so I thought "hmmm... ok... " and asked for a room upgrade. That usually can happen for free due to being a reward member (guaranteed for Gold and Platinum but typically good customer service at other properties have given us the room upgrade at no charge if there's room available). Was told by the kinda rushed/rude desk clerk that his GM told him they don't give room upgrades. First time being told this, I said ok... how much more for a king suite since we had a king standard and were traveling with a 2 year old. $35 more was the reply even though the website said it was only $10 more.

I said no thanks. Moving on, I asked "Please make sure that there's a pack n' play in the room for my daughter then?" and was told "yes sir. Not a problem."

Instead of going up to the room, we decided to take advantage of the nice weather and go do some family stuff. Came back to the room at 4:30 and found housekeeping working across the room (1 1/2 hours after check in time???), no pack n' play in the room, no mini-fridge in the room per our Rewards criteria...

We asked housekeeping for a pack n' play and was told they would find one. Didn't bring up fridge (figured it was a lost cause at this point) and went to the pool with my daughter while wife waited for pack n' play.

Pool area was nasty. dirty towels everywhere. Asked a fellow guest if he knew where the clean towels were, he said "Well, there are and there aren't." When he asked front desk, they said there were clean towels on each chair and if there's none then there's none.

There wasn't a towel stand anywhere.

I decide to get into the pool with my daughter rather than keep her out of the water while hunting down a towel or two. Nice swim. During the swim one of the guests mentioned that they heard my conversation and "ya know, they are going thru a renovation".

Wait. Back up. the reno was over according to Marriott.

Nope. I start finding signs of "pardon our dust while we remodel" and when the work hours are.

Get up to the room 45 mins later - no pack n' play. 10 mins after getting into room there's a pack n' play that was wobbly and looked like it came out of a thrift store.Not the Marriott quality that we are used to having. I joked in a nervous tone to my wife "We ARE at a Marriott right? This wasn't a different hotel before?" but realized that this was built as a Fairfield due to the architecture of the building.

We stop by the front desk to ask for sheets for the pack n' play (DUH!) and am told that they had to get a pack n' play from the Courtyard next door in a exasperated tone (just like the other front desk clerk had) and when I mention that there's no towels I am told "I'm working on that now sir".

We come back to the hotel 4 hours later and when I got into the elevator another couple with towels on also got in. I ask how the hot tub was and was told it was nice. I ask if there were towels and they said they had to go ask for some and had to wait while dripping in the lobby.

Wife decides to take a shower after putting our daughter down (sheets, check! blanket or 2nd sheet? nope) and finds there's no toiletries. Thank goodness we have my daughter's baby soap and shampoo!

-------------

First time I've ever been unhappy to choose a Marriott property. I'll be sending a copy of this letter along with how the rest of the stay goes (please let there not be a phony fire alarm or something like that) to corporate.

A $20 Target gift card before I stay is not going to fix the problems we encountered. Management shakeup, change in employee attitudes and a re-commitment to quality is needed.. otherwise they should take the customer pledge sign in the lobby down because the signatures on it are worthless

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Hampton Inn & Suites Minneapolis - St. Paul Airport
Hyatt Regency Bloomington-Minneapolis
Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America
Holiday Inn Minneapolis Arpt SE - Mall Area

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport? Share your experiences!