“Family Snowmobile Trip”

Big Sandy Lodge & Resort
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My husband and my two college aged boys stayed at Big Sandy Lodge & Resort for the first time. We wanted to plan a snowmobile trip with our sons that gave us a variety of trails and was a convenient distance from the twin cities. Big Sandy Lodge was perfect! The Lodge has great rooms, restaurant/bar, huge pool, separate indoor area for their hot tub, and even a sauna. As for their staff, we found them very friendly and accommodating. Another key point, their prices are so reasonable!
We have not just found an exceptional "Winter" Resort, but, will return this summer to experience Big Sandy Lake and their Championship Golf Course.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dee Y

Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

The Good:

The food was good. The bourbon burger was awesome and the cajun chicken pasta was really good as well. I would also recommend the cheesecake.

The pool and hot tub were fantastic (although the sauna wasn't working properly) and the overall views of the lake were great. Also the rooms were very clean and tidy when we arrived. Overall the staff was friendly and helpful.

The Bad:

The only complaint the group had with the food was with the New Year's Specials. One person ordered steak and the other prime rib. Both came very very underdone. For $26.99 and $18.99, if I remember the pricing correctly, we expected properly cooked steak. Also, the salad bar that came with the two specials was sub par at best. A minor note; our group ordered a few drinks and some drinks came in plastic disposable cups. Not exactly what we were expecting coming to a lodge such as this during a nice dinner.

Some in our group complained about the noise level. It was New Year's Eve so it wasn't a big deal to me. The beds were very uncomfortable. The lighting in the rooms was an issue. It was very dark in each room. Also the rooms really need small tables or something. There just wasn't enough surface area in the room to put stuff on. The rooms did not contain coffee makers either.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank TravelingN0rth
Kathy L, Public Relations Manager at Big Sandy Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

We appreciate your staying with us during the Holidays and apologize for
for the lack of service in areas you noted. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My family and I stayed Sept 27+28 overnight in the upper lodge. Our room was quiet. Very clean room. Nice complementary soaps, shampoos. Big pool with play toys provided for my son. Also a nice playground and the lake looked nice although we did not use it. I would stay here again! Only complaint was the blinds in the room did not keep out all the light in the morning for those who like to sleep in. Also no complementary breakfast on weekends, only coffee. We ate at the restaurant twice and it was good and reasonably priced. Used our buy 1 get 1 free drink coupons we received at checkin, a nice touch!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank eliztravel12
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Let me start by saying we have only ate here & never stayed in the rooms. This is a great place to take a drive to, to have a casual dinner and drinks. The food has always been VERY good. The staff has always been VERY friendly even when it has been real busy. Also I just love the atmosphere. If you sit on the deck the view of the lake is beautiful and inside it is a beautiful (new & clean) log building. Check out the menu before you go because its not huge (which I like) and the hours change in the off season. I really like the fries they have as well as the onion rings and their burgers. One thing I would suggest...there is a short (very short) walking trail we like to take after dinner. It would be nice if you could walk a little farther :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 511StarPoint
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were planning to have our wedding there, but they offer NO special services for the bride and groom. They claim they are a great place for weddings, but we tried to reserve rooms for our guests that were in our wedding party, and they wouldn't let us without 25% down on each place( about $300 per reservation). Now there is another party who booked rooms that took away from where our guests could stay. They are unwilling to negotiate on any terms. This is not a place you want to do your business. Poor communication as well. Sent multiple e-mails and it took weeks to get calls and e-mails back. Such a bummer for our special day. They did nothing to make it special. Also, very unethical. We booked our rooms, put our 25% down(nonrefundable), and then after we booked they sent us an updated price list which included items that were previously complimentary (shuttle, service on location, etc.)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bob R
Kathy L, Guest Relations Manager at Big Sandy Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Bob, thank you for the feedback on your experience with Big Sandy Lodge & Resort. We are sorry for the communication errors. We have updated our rates and yes the Shuttle Service with the increased gas prices and maintenance does now have a charge for that service.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I went there for a family reunion last week and me and my cousins really had a lot of fun with the water trampoline and the volleyball court! I stayed there for three days up in a cabin. I was impressed with how big the cabin was and it was very neat and clean it was. But after a day there, it was kinda boring. There was nothing else to do except what was at the resort which was pretty much the water trampoline and the volleyball. Plus, my cousins stayed in a room at the lodge and it wasn't anything to marvel at. Also, my cousin has diabetes and needs a medical dog to watch over him and I didnt think it would be a big problem at the resort but it kinda was. They told them that he couldnt have the dog but they really didn't do anything about it. I think if we were there for longer they wouldn't have let the dog stay there.(which is against the law) It was a very nice place but it isn't a good long term stay!

• Stayed: July 2013
Kathy L, Guest Relations Manager at Big Sandy Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay Big Sandy Lodge & Resort. We are happy your family reunion was a blast. Big Sandy Lodge & Resort does have a few more options that you might have missed when you were here. An Indoor Pool, Bike, Canoe & Kayak rental. Boats for rent also shuttle service to a 18-Hole Championship Golf Course just 3 miles away - MN National Golf Course.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was our 3rd visit to Big Sandy Lodge and our LAST!! Very surprised on how expensive one night during the week is. Not even summer yet. The staff didn't know much when we had questions. Tried to talk to a person at front desk but was on the phone and the other was checking stuff on her phone. No coffee anywhere, we were told there was brk. in the morning, but noting was out when we came down at 8. Not even coffee.... For the price a person pays you should get something other than a free tap/rail drink. One per room? REALLY !!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Tammy L

Been to Big Sandy Lodge & Resort? Share your experiences!