“Ice Coffee” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Schoolhouse Cafe
Ranked #3 of 21 Restaurants in McGregor
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Duluth, Minnesota
“Ice Coffee”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Came in to town looking for good ice coffee while camping on Big Sandy. Staff was friendly, they were unsure how to make the cooler I ordered, but the lady at the counter did a good job making the coffee. The breakfast looked and smelt amazing I wish I wouldn't have are breakfast before hand.

Visited July 2014

Champlin, Minnesota
“So good! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I are self proclaimed breakfast snobs. We love trying breakfast places all over and are constantly in search of the wow factor. Usually most decent places have good eggs, good pancakes and solid hashbrowns with very little else in the way of creative fare. This place had it all. We were truly impressed and even more surprised to find it in such a small town.

To start, the place is adorable. I love the decor. Lots of schoolhouse antiques, maps of the world as shades on the windows, Minnesota memorabilia hanging from the walls and ceiling. Our table had photos and knick knacks lacquered into the finish. Nicely done.

Now the food. I've picked up pies here before and they're fine. Nothing to write home about. They're mostly simpler pies like banana or chocolate cream types. But they make their own rye bread, sweet, thick and crunchy, for their breakfasts and that stuff was phenomenal. I got the hashbrown breakfast dish that had mushrooms, bell peppers, onions and cheese topped with alphalpha sprouts on it. I love alphalpha but even I was skeptical that this combo would work out. It did. This was the best breakfast I may have ever had. Seriously. It was that good.

We also got french toast (wonderful), one pancake (buttermilk, excellent, and larger than a dinner plate dripping with a mound of whipped butter). All the dishes came with a little cup of their bread pudding which seems to be their signature side and man, that stuff is good.

The coffee was perfect. I hate weak coffee at a breakfast place and they nailed it. Not too strong either. I believe they use Caribou coffee. Also, they had little packets of cinnamon apple jelly for the homemade toast. It was just Smuckers brand but boy, was my neighbor Tim excited by that, so it warrants mentioning haha!

This place will be a new tradition for sure. Such a find. And for those of you complaining about price, our bill was $48 for 5 people. That's not bad. I even looked at the menu prices since it was the main complaint in the reviews and was pretty much unmoved. Their prices are pretty standard. Not sure what the big deal is.

1 Thank Got_too_many_dogs
Wright, Minnesota
“ice Cream is bomb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

pork chop Lunch Special was about 6.00 and it smelled delicious had taters and gravy roll and butter and i think she had a choice of soup or salad too big meal!!!Good Food! Jave Chunck ice Cream 4 dessert is awesome and addictive!

Visited December 2013
2 Thank tanyaf797
North Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overpriced and extremley slow service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I ate there for the first time and it will be my last time there. The cafe is cute, but that's where it ends. The waitress was not friendly and the service was very slow. She moved slow (like feet scuffling slow) and was pretty obvious she doesn't like being a waitress. And the food was overpriced. I had a philly sandwich that came with cheap salty generic chips, half pickle spear and a diet coke to drink. The bill was $14! I will say that the sandwich was alright. Otherwise, a total rip off.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sony318
Dominique K, Manager at The Schoolhouse Cafe, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Hello, I'm very sorry to hear that your experience was less then the best! Here at the School House Cafe, we pride ourselves for great food and fast service! We would like to invite you back to try our new menu as well as see our friendly and experienced wait staff. We hope to see you soon!
“Great food, quaint shops next door.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

The food was great, but the prices are a bit high. The service was good. There are also shops for the ladies nearby.

• Visited July 2013