“nice friendly good food”
Review of Fireside Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Fireside Inn
Ranked #15 of 22 Restaurants in McGregor
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 23, 2013

the owner is there and makes sure u get what u like, the people are nice and accommodating, bloody Mary's are big and chaser beer is actually good. just ask for salad dressing on the side cuz they like to poor it on

There are newer reviews for Fireside Inn

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I had been dining at the fireside for years and had always had excellent dining experiences until today. I have been recommending them for all of those years, and today, upon taking a cruise through the great northwoods with my wife, insisted that we stop there for what I had always described as their "perfect" fried shrimp. We were dressed down in jeans and T shirts and driving my winter beater P/U truck. Upon arriving at an early hour(1:30PM) I asked the bartender if it was too early to eat and he asked if we would care to sit at the bar or in the dining room, of which we chose the dining room. A waitress came in shortly thereafter with menus which had a shrimp basket and a shrimp dinner described,. I ordered the shrimp dinner, since it was what I have been bragging about and recommending to everyonefor 20+ yrs. To put it simply, we waited for close to an hour for what is commonly called a shrimp basket, which is normally 12 butterflly "sisco" shrimp but only 5 on a leaf of kale and fries with a slice of melon and toast. Upon receiving the obviously short lunch portion, I inquired if the establishment had changed hands, since the product I had always been so satisfied with had been so down graded. The server informed me that the owners were the same as always and that he was there. I asked to speak with him and he was totally unapologetic, stating that no one else complains, and yes, the shrimp is different at night, but basically, "tough luck".
My big problem is that this guy just saw what we were wearing and driving(since the place was dead otherwise) and decided that he didn't need to apologize or make an adjustment to the bill. I had,in my discussion with him tried to make it clear that it was not the price that bothered me,but the product that was served. By the way, the bartender I mentioned also turned out to be the owner. It may sound trivial,but it was a huge disappointment to me and my wife, since I have been raving about their shrimp dinner forever. I have to say that in all my years,and they are numerable, along with alot of them having been in the restaurant trade, I have never seen the owner of any establishment be so cavalier in their response to a legitimate complaint. I realize that he has basically no competition in 40 miles, but this take it or leave it attitude cannot be tolerated.

5  Thank Richard P
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed a few doors away at the Country Meadows Inn, and the kids decided to walk there to eat dinner and have a few drinks. The parking lot was always busy, a sign to me of good food.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stopped here on a whim on our way to Duluth and had a great supper. Friendly staff and all the food was homemade. Lots of choices on the salad bar topped off with some excellent homemade soups. Will certainly be stopping here again.

1  Thank espeer
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Have been stopping in at the Fireside for years. I have never been let down. Early bird 4 to 6 Sunday through Thursday is a great deal. You could make a meal off the soup and salad bar. The soups are super! I really liked the turkey vegetable and the ham and cabbage. The drinks at the bar are mixed well priced well. Stop in and enjoy a nice meal.

Been to Fireside Inn? Share your experiences!