“Skiing at William O'brien State Park”

William O'Brien State Park
Stillwater, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Skiing at William O'brien State Park”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Has numerous scenic cross country trails. Well groomed for skate skiers. Traditional ski tracks rarely groomed and at best maybe a after thought. Traditional ski tracks formed by what appears to be skiers only. Great facilities, parking, friendly staff.

Visited February 2014

Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
159 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 255 helpful votes
“Amazing Wildlife encounters”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I came out here for the first time this summer to do some hiking. I parked at the nature center and looked around there before I began my hike. The walk I went on was about 6 miles thru the park. Of all the state parks I hiked this summer this park had the most wildlife that I saw. The amount of different birds I saw was amazing. My hightlight being when a family of sand hill cranes walked across the path right in front of me. I had never seen them walking around like that, they reminded me of brown tall flamingos. I saw a few beaver as well as deer. The bumblebees were in full flight as the wildflowers were all blooming in magnificent shades of purple and pink. There were some nice views of the area at some high points in the park. You sould see the St. Croix river valley rolling out in front of you. Well worth the trip and well worth returning for some more hiking adventures.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Justin B
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
136 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Great Natural Resource Near Saint Paul”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Less than 30 miles from Saint Paul is one of the two great State Parks in the region (Afton being the other). On a lovely late October afternoon my wife and I enjoyed a hike both along the river and up in the hills. The prettiest part of the park is along the river, and in the summer this is fairly crowded. The pine trees, rocky shore and the river make for great scenary. Lots of space for picnicing and a large campground.

Up in the hills are many more miles of hiking and a second campground, complete with rustic camper cabins.

Nothing fancy at William O'Brien, and very little change over the many decades I have been visiting here: it is about hiking, skiing, camping, picnicing and swimming.

Visited October 2013
Maplewood, Minnesota
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Good for nature lovers near the Twin Cities”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This state park is close enough to the Twin Cities metro area that the campground reservations fill up within days of opening up. It has scenic nature landscapes that will appeal to those who like to walk in or photograph nature at its near pristine state. There are supposedly 11 species of snakes crawling in the park, but I also one snake in an entire day. For day trippers, bring your own trash bag because while there is an abundance of charcoal grills, there is a shortage of trash cans. Don't know why.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jim O
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very nice”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is a very nice park for camping. We stayed at the Savanna campground which is not so crowded and mostly shaded. Not a lot of bugs or mosquitoes which is a relief. The restroom is clean and they have hot shower. We rented a canoe and had fun. Nice picnic area and hiking trails.

Visited July 2013