New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of LivINN Hotel St Paul East / Maplewood

LivINN Hotel St Paul East / Maplewood
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Maplewood
Green Valley, AZ
“Best bed ever for 9 nights!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

We visit family each summer and usually stay in guest room at my Mom's co-op but much of the building was flooded this cold winter when a pipe burst, including the guest room.

This was the only reasonably priced motel I could find that was available for the entire time. The room is pretty small for a month's worth of stuff but fine for a few nights.

Pros: excellent K bed with pillow top mattress. I almost always have back problems with motel beds but had NONE the entire time. I slept like a log except for July 4 - there was loud and boisterous partying in our wing until 2:45 a m. I was leery of retribution if I complained and thought management should have shut it down at least at Midnight.
It was pretty darn awful. If they didn't want to contend with it, the should have called the sheriff. It was that bad.

housekeeping was satisfactory.

Lots of outlets for computers and phones. Nice large TV.

I always want a fridge as I eat my own yogurt and apples in the a m and like to keep wine chilled, so happy to have that. Not having breakfast in motel not a problem for hubby with Denny's next door. We'd rather sleep cheap, esp when on the road for a month.

Cons: tub drain problematic.

A towel rack on the wall by the sink would be most helpful.

Coffee pot near an outlet would also be helpful. The plug did not reach down behind the microwave and there sure wasn't room for it on the vanity. I much prefer a 4-cup maker to the single cup maker so spent a lot of time making morning coffee!

All in all, it was a good value for the money.

Stayed July 2014
livinngm, General Manager at LivINN Hotel St Paul East / Maplewood, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and let us know how we did. I apologize about the loud noise on the 4th. Please always contact front desk if there is ever an issue so that we can fix this. We hope you have a wonderful summer and hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Appleton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Since we rely on trip advisor when we travel, we decided to book a room at this hotel when we were in town touring colleges with my daughter. Everything was sold out in and around the Twin Cities, but LivInn had a room. The exterior of the building was less than inviting, with no landscaping, overgrown weeds, and a beat up parking lot. The hotel shared a road/parking lot with an abandoned building and a Denny's. Across the lake was a view of a Mobil home park. Outside were many men smoking, so the smell of smoke was prominent. When I walked into the lobby, I had to wait for someone to come out and greet me. A large pile of towels was behind the front desk. After approximately 2 minutes, a woman came out of an office located next to the front door. She checked me in and told me they were full for the night, which, according to her, was unusual. She said her printer was not working so she again disappeared into that same office. She was in there approximately 4-5 minutes. When she came out, she had nothing in her hands and said that printer was not working, either. When we finally got to our room, were so disappointed. I'm not sure where all the wonderful rooms were that were talked about on Trip Advisor, but we got the one that the person had who posted a picture of the icky toilet and discussed the musty smell. The bathroom was dirty and had mildew around the edges of the floor and around the bottom of the toilet. The musty, mildew smell was unbearable. The traffic noise was very loud. (We laughingly joked about which lane of traffic we were going to sleep in.). Since the hotel was booked, there was no changing rooms. The area and some of the occupants (at least the ones we saw) were indeed "sketchy". We really wanted to like this place but it is NOT in any way a four or five star Trip Advisor pick. We actually carried our belongings back out and drove to Hudson, WI and got an extremely nice room. This was by far the worst hotel we have visited. We are not super picky, in fact, we usually overlook the negative reviews (though we read them) because you can find something wrong with everything if you look hard enough. BUT, this was not acceptable. We chalked up the cost of the room (that we did not stay in) to a lesson learned. We would definitely NOT recommend this hotel to anyone

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank AppletonWItraveler
livinngm, General Manager at LivINN Hotel St Paul East / Maplewood, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
We are very sorry to hear about your stay, as we do Strive for 5 and wish that everyone has a very comfortable and pleasant stay. We did have our printer go down and fortunately we could not get a new one until the following day and my staff was using my printer. Our parking lot has been scheduled to be completely replaced in May however due to weather this has been delayed. Our rooms are inspected at each and every check out and I will speak to housekeeping about this matter. Once again I do apologize about your stay and would like you to give us another chance next time you are in town as we do run a very comfortable and clean hotel. Thank You for taking the time to let us know how we can better our hotel. Please contact management about your next stay.
Marshfield, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

When I developed a migraine while traveling, we needed a hotel IMMEDIATELY! Who knew so many east St. Paul hotels would be completely booked on a Tuesday evening, even by early afternoon? Enter the LivInn. This little hotel on Century Avenue is out there by itself next to Denny's, but it really is very nice. Recently remodeled, everything is neat, clean, and nicely decorated. The staff was very nice and got us into a room quickly. The fluffy white comforter and bedding on a comfortable mattress was a lifesaver for me. Rooms are nice-sized with large TV, separate sink area, plenty of outlets for electronics. No breakfast, but coffee is available in the lobby, and Denny's is next door. There are picnic tables on the lake right outside if you want to sit for a bit. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judy C
livinngm, General Manager at LivINN Hotel St Paul East / Maplewood, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review, and we hope to see you again soon.
Marshfield, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

The staff handled the check-in and check-out experience very well. In addition, the rooms have been renovated and are very nice. The A/C worked great on a warm day. The pillowtop mattress was comfortable also and the flat-screen TV in the room featured all HD channels which not many hotels do yet at all. Highly recommended and would definitely stay there again in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank dannew692010
Pillager, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

I booked a room with priceline, when I got to the hotel the clerk Brandon Z was very busy trying to check in 3 people a head of me with the phone ringing non stop.
When I gave him my reservation, it was not in the system. He spent 15 minutes looking for it with the phone continuing to ring and more people coming in behind me.
He finally found it in an e-mail log, and got me the room i booked.
With all the stuff going on I believe the guy deserves a raise, he was calm, courteous and very apologetic for the wait.
A GREAT clerk in a low paying job, If i had room in my company - I would hire him

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Back then this hotel did not have a great service so I was expecting the same thing BUT!!!! First off! The front desk lady greeted us with a lovely smile and was amazing! She was so funny and very helpful. Then we went to our room, it was so clean and there was plenty of room for my husband and I. One thing my husband and I loved was how quiet and peaceful everything was. My views of this hotel has been totally changed; I would definitely come back again and highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PYxia
livinngm, General Manager at LivINN Hotel St Paul East / Maplewood, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very pleased to hear how happy you were with your stay. I will give my staff a special thank you and hope to see you soon!
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

After researching near-by hotels on tripadvisor I decided to book a room while I had to be out of the house for a night.

The staff was helpful and accommodating and the location was ideal. While this hotel is not new, the rooms and common areas are VERY well maintained. I asked for a quiet room facing the lake and I got exactly that, there were absolutely no disturbances. Unfortunately, while my room faced the lake, it was on the first floor and had a floodlight shining on the window all night.

This is a very good basic hotel. There are no "extras" such as pool, lounge or restaurant but the room was clean, quiet and the bed was perfect.

All in all, I will go back if the need ever arises again, but I'd probably ask for a room higher up.

Room Tip: There is a small up-charge for lake view rooms, but they are very nice and include microwave, refrig...