“Only thing missing is beer”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of D-Spot

D-Spot
Ranked #4 of 57 Restaurants in Maplewood
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Television
Minnetonka, Minnesota
“Only thing missing is beer”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

If you consider yourself a connoisseur of the chicken wing, this place needs to make your restaurant bucket list. I'm from the west side of the cities, making D:Spot a bit of a field trip, but life had us in the area so we stopped in. There is nothing special itself about the restaurant; it's a strip mall place that would be classified as a dive bar if there was a bar. That is really the only shortcoming of D:Spot; wings without beer is like a day without sunshine. But don't let that stop you from visiting.

We were blown away by the number of wing choices on the menu, I didn't count but there has to be over 70. And the recipes range from simple buffalo to very complex flavor combinations worthy of a James Beard award. It's a bit overwhelming but the men behind the counter talked us through some of their favorites, and the most popular, and we settled on 4 types. We also got a small order of fries after reading they too were some of the best in town.

After ordering, we found a table, settled in, and watched the news on a big screen TV and watched dozens of people come in and pick up orders. It seems D:Spot does a lot of take-out business, and given the sparse and simple restaurant accommodations, this doesn't surprise me. We're now kicking ourselves for not getting a couple of dozen wings to-go to bring home and freeze for future wing cravings.

The verdict: Delicious. We were torn between the Kamikaze and the Tarantula, both Asian inspired wing flavors, and ended up getting both to do a side-by-side comparison. They were both very good, although I preferred the Kamikaze better and my husband preferred the Tarantula. The Tarantula flavor profile was heavy with ginger, and ginger is not my thing which is what tipped the scales in favor of the Kamikaze. There are a few options for traditional buffalo sauce and we opted for the Buffalo Bill; buffalo sauce with chunks of blue cheese. These were delicious. The buffalo sauce had so much flavor and the blue cheese chunks gave no need for dunking the wings (I didn't check, but there didn't seem to be an option for blue cheese dressing anyway). So if you like your buffalo wings with blue cheese or ranch, then order the Buffalo Bill or the El Rancho. We also tried the PB&J wings to be a bit more adventurous, and were surprised at how delicious these were. The peanut butter gives the wings a salty flavor and the grape reduction provides just a hint of sweetness. I don't know if I could eat more than a couple of these, but they were good. The seasoned fries were crispy and flavorful, but I wish I had skipped the fries to leave more room for wings (and I love fries!).

Wings do run about $1 to $1.25 each, expensive if you are used to going to less "gourmet" places. Don't let the price keep you away. These wings have meat on their bones, not like the pathetic chickens on a diet found elsewhere. I had 6 wings and was full (but that didn't stop me from eating 3 more until I was grossly stuffed). We plan on visiting again, but will either take friends or bring them home for a party so we can try a greater number of flavors with the help of others.

• Visited March 2013

Stillwater, Minnesota
“Something Unusual and a Lot of Fun”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Saw this place in online review - and couldn't wait to try it. So many fun and unusual flavors of wings - we tried several different kinds. The place is small and we went on a Sat evening - there were no tables and a bit of a wait, but we wanted to try it. So we sat down to wait. We must have looked hungry, because they brought us some fries to tide us over. The fries were excellent! Really nicely seasoned.

We weren't brave enough to try any of the really spicy wings, but there are several more I would like to try. Really creative menu.

Prices were very reasonable. And only 50 cents for a bottle of water!

• Visited November 2012
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
“Good wings but I like the burgers better”
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

I've been here twice in two months. There are indeed a ton of inventive wing flavors - the teriyaki is the best I've had. As for the actual wings, they are good and meaty but I personally like my wings crispier than they're served here. I think the prices are fair but pop, at $1 a can, can seem expensive (even though it isnt!) because you pay up front , its a good idea to buy an extra can or two especially if you dont have cash.

There is a rather small dining room and only one table that will seat more than 4, you can push tables together but only if there are empty tables (and the place is popular so don't expect empty tables!)

I was there last night and again had a mushroom Swiss burger. It's a double decker with amazing, gooey cheese and a yeasty toasted bun. The burger seems to be fresh and hand formed - not frozen or pre-made. Really an excellent burger. I had fries my first trip but skipped them the second because they had too much seasoning and the seasoning tasted to me like the barbecue flavor on chips.

They seem to have some problems with the exhaust fan - if is a small space and the do turn out the food. It was pretty smoky in there last night.

Vail, Colorado
“Worth finding....”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

On a recent overnight stay in Maplewood, Minnesota, I felt like some Chinese food so I ran a quick search. I found a place close by but when I got there, I saw that they are closed on Saturday nights. I noticed a crowd at the restaurant next door with the unusual logo and stepped in. The place was jammed - very informal - and had a swarm of chefs busy in the kitchen behind the register with a simple cardboard sign that says "order here." I looked over the menu at an amazing choice of wings as more and more hungry regulars arrived, several of whom knew the owner, Darin, by name. They do a brisk take-out business I could see, as well. The other side of the menu listed burgers (The Half and Half - half ground beef, half bacon burger sounded fantastic). I asked a woman and her three boys what they liked and each sounded off with their favorites. I settled on six "Black Widow" wings and a side of seasoned fries (not the frozen, restaurant standard; these are home made with a fantastic spice blend on them). Simple chairs and tables, a stack of newspapers by the door, local, original art, the monster flat-screen and cans of soda are the vibe.
Clearly, this is a well-known spot for the area. Clearly, this is a place in which the owner spent some time in high-maintenance, fine dining and decided to open a simple place doing some very original takes on some old standbys. I will go out of my way to return here on my next trip. The place has fantastic food.

• Visited May 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“More flavors than you can fathom - something for everyone.”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Saw D-Spot in a magazine blurb, and wondered if anyone can really offer close to 86 flavors of chicken wings. Was amazed by the variation and creativity offered.
Brought along people with varying palates and tolerance to spice. We were able to find choices for everyone that left us wanting more.
I really enjoyed the staff recommendation of the Black Widow. The PB&J was the unanimous pick of the night. Can't wait to try the Karibou nexttime.
Only drawback was that there are only a few tables, and the place was crowded. However definitely worth the wait! There's also a St. Paul location for delivery and take out only.