“Something Unusual and a Lot of Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of D-Spot

D-Spot
Ranked #4 of 57 Restaurants in Maplewood
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Television
Stillwater, Minnesota
“Something Unusual and a Lot of Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Saw this place in online review - and couldn't wait to try it. So many fun and unusual flavors of wings - we tried several different kinds. The place is small and we went on a Sat evening - there were no tables and a bit of a wait, but we wanted to try it. So we sat down to wait. We must have looked hungry, because they brought us some fries to tide us over. The fries were excellent! Really nicely seasoned.

We weren't brave enough to try any of the really spicy wings, but there are several more I would like to try. Really creative menu.

Prices were very reasonable. And only 50 cents for a bottle of water!

• Visited November 2012

White Bear Lake, Minnesota
“Good wings but I like the burgers better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

I've been here twice in two months. There are indeed a ton of inventive wing flavors - the teriyaki is the best I've had. As for the actual wings, they are good and meaty but I personally like my wings crispier than they're served here. I think the prices are fair but pop, at $1 a can, can seem expensive (even though it isnt!) because you pay up front , its a good idea to buy an extra can or two especially if you dont have cash.

There is a rather small dining room and only one table that will seat more than 4, you can push tables together but only if there are empty tables (and the place is popular so don't expect empty tables!)

I was there last night and again had a mushroom Swiss burger. It's a double decker with amazing, gooey cheese and a yeasty toasted bun. The burger seems to be fresh and hand formed - not frozen or pre-made. Really an excellent burger. I had fries my first trip but skipped them the second because they had too much seasoning and the seasoning tasted to me like the barbecue flavor on chips.

They seem to have some problems with the exhaust fan - if is a small space and the do turn out the food. It was pretty smoky in there last night.

Vail, Colorado
“Worth finding....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

On a recent overnight stay in Maplewood, Minnesota, I felt like some Chinese food so I ran a quick search. I found a place close by but when I got there, I saw that they are closed on Saturday nights. I noticed a crowd at the restaurant next door with the unusual logo and stepped in. The place was jammed - very informal - and had a swarm of chefs busy in the kitchen behind the register with a simple cardboard sign that says "order here." I looked over the menu at an amazing choice of wings as more and more hungry regulars arrived, several of whom knew the owner, Darin, by name. They do a brisk take-out business I could see, as well. The other side of the menu listed burgers (The Half and Half - half ground beef, half bacon burger sounded fantastic). I asked a woman and her three boys what they liked and each sounded off with their favorites. I settled on six "Black Widow" wings and a side of seasoned fries (not the frozen, restaurant standard; these are home made with a fantastic spice blend on them). Simple chairs and tables, a stack of newspapers by the door, local, original art, the monster flat-screen and cans of soda are the vibe.
Clearly, this is a well-known spot for the area. Clearly, this is a place in which the owner spent some time in high-maintenance, fine dining and decided to open a simple place doing some very original takes on some old standbys. I will go out of my way to return here on my next trip. The place has fantastic food.

• Visited May 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“More flavors than you can fathom - something for everyone.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

Saw D-Spot in a magazine blurb, and wondered if anyone can really offer close to 86 flavors of chicken wings. Was amazed by the variation and creativity offered.
Brought along people with varying palates and tolerance to spice. We were able to find choices for everyone that left us wanting more.
I really enjoyed the staff recommendation of the Black Widow. The PB&J was the unanimous pick of the night. Can't wait to try the Karibou nexttime.
Only drawback was that there are only a few tables, and the place was crowded. However definitely worth the wait! There's also a St. Paul location for delivery and take out only.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Most unique place for chicken wings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

With nearly 60 different kinds of wings, There is something for everyone at the D-Spot. Not only are the flavor choices varied, the recipes are all made from scratch. The quality of the chicken wings is excellent. The service was good. Wings were a little pricy ($10 for a dozen) but so worth it. If wings aren't your thing, they have a good selection of other items on their menu. Highly recommended if you looking for a departure from the ordinary

• Visited February 2012