“The worst hotel I have ever stayed at.”

Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Maple Grove
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Maple Grove
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I booked this hotel on Priceline, my first time using that site, and the last time. I called the hotel directly to specifically ask for a non-smoking room because cigarette smoke is a trigger for my migraines. The person who answered the phone said yes, it was a non-smoking room. When I got to the room I was so disappointed. The room was very unclean and smelled. The beds are horrible! They must be the original beds, and pillows! There were black bugs by the tub. During the night I woke up because the cigarette smell was so horrible! I don't know if it was coming through the bathroom vent or what but it was worse than earlier! When I checked out the front desk person didn't even ask me how my room was, or how my stay was, is that a clue? Perhaps they don't want to even hear it! I was in such a hurry to escape I didn't even say anything! My kids were so disgusted also, and they are boys.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere if you want a good room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Maple Grove, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

As well, upon request, guests will be placed in a non-smoking room. Knowing that many people have allergies or do not smoke, we place great importance on this. Please accept my apologies that while you were in a non-smoking room, you experienced some second hand smoke. I have spoken with our maintenance team, and they are looking into the issue to ensure it is corrected and does not happen again in the future.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I have stayed at the "Extended Stay" chain many times for more than a month each time. Recently I was at this location and the rooms were very clean. the kitchen was nice to have instead of always going out for dinner. The staff were also very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Maple Grove, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Thank you so very much for your great review of our hotel. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

First of all, I check in at the front desk, only to tell me they've already checked me in and given my room away. SO then they give me another room and print off papers for me to sign, giving me SOMEONE else's information. Im talking address, phone number- everything. SO UNPROFESSIONAL!! Then I go to my room and it is a smoking room, when I had reserved non smoking. Front desk refused to do anything about it, girl claimed "she was new" so whatever. Go back up to room, SPIDERS EVERYWHERE. Pull down my bedsheets, out come crawling spiders. So disgusting. Rooms are so dingy and not cleaned at all. There was something dead hanging out of my window as well. Ended up staying at a friends tiny apartment on the floor but would have opted for almost anything else, even sleeping in my car. It's as if they have no standards whatsoever. The pictures look nothing like the real thing. Would not pay a single penny for this room. Save yourself. When called to complain, they refused to do anything about it and were so rude and inconsiderate. Horrible, horrible experience. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NOT WORTH IT!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Torie T

The experience you described is truly regrettable. The staff and I strive to provide friendly service, clean rooms and comfortable surroundings for our guests to enjoy. Hearing about the state of your room and the lack of response to your complaint is saddening. Please know that we clean every room and inspect them once complete. We keep extremely high standards; however, it seems this was not the case for you. I apologize for that and will work with the team to correct our mistakes, ensuring they do not happen again in the future.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed in the hotel for multiple times, I would say the level of cleanliness is not bad, rooms are cleaner than other extended stays that I stayed at, but there many annoying things, they make a photo copy of your driver license without even consulting with you, the staff are robots who can not help, the blonde receptionist who works night shift is so rude.

Room Tip: the non smoking rooms
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank maeco123
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America Minneapolis - Maple Grove. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

I am grateful for the opportunity to respond to your concern. I have spoken with my staff and reviewed the importance of being professional and polite with each and every guest, no matter how busy we may be. It is my sincere hope that apart from this unfortunate occurrence, the rest of your stay with us was satisfying.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

I was in the area for work for three months in 2011( February- May) in which the entire time I stayed here. It's an average room with the comforts of home, i.e. full fridge, stove top, microwave and a laundry room on the first floor. Everything in the room was good and the room was clean. Bed was fine and they were in the process of replacing all the beds as well at the time that I left. My only issue was trying to work out a schedule to have my room cleaned every week because I was working nights so I slept during the day but that's not a typical problem for everyone.
With that said, this is not a practical place for someone looking to stay for a long weekend or a few days. This is for a full week plus for sure. That's gonna be the best bang for your buck. The longer you plan to stay, the lower the rate per night. This hotel is right off the highway in a good neighborhood and is only 12 miles out of Minneapolis. Easy to get to all the attractions that Minneapolis has to offer from pro sports, concerts, museums, night life and the Mall of America.

• Stayed: July 2011
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Extended Stay America Minneapolis - Maple Grove. It is with great pride that we provide clean, comfortable rooms at affordable rates, which is why it was great to read your kind words about the room. However, given the issue with the service you had during your stay, it was with equally great concern that I read the rest of your account. You have the apologies of my entire staff that we were not able to totally satisfy you.

We know that our guests have many lodging options, which is why we work hard to provide them with the exact service they expect. As is true of most extended stay hotels, we offer scaled back housekeeping service which is on a timed schedule yet we were not able to meet your needs based on your schedule and for that I am truly sorry.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed on a Saturday night and they overbooked the double bed rooms. They gave us two single rooms that worked out so they were accommodating. The elevator stunk like smoke and the room needed maintenance. No shampoo for the shower. No breakfast but the room had a stove, microwave, sink and dishes. McDonald's next door was our option.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America Minneapolis - Maple Grove. We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, so I was pleased to read your remarks about your room. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

As an extended stay lodging company, we have many guests who need to leave their departure date open or extend their stay at the last minute. We work hard to prevent these changes from affecting other guests. However, in extremely rare cases like yours, a sudden increase in guests extending their stays without notice causes a shortage of rooms types available for our arriving guests thus why they placed you in separate rooms. I understand how this may have inconvenienced the situation for you.

Also, we specialize in providing clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price. That means we don't set out extra amenities like shampoo, lotions, shower caps, etc, in our rooms. However, our hotel does have a limited supply of sundries at the front desk, and we happily dispense them free of charge upon request. Operating in this way allows us to continue to provide you our great rooms at exceptional rates. I take seriously your concern, however, and assure you that we work very hard to explain exactly what we offer to our guests before they arrive. I am, of course, very sorry that we were unable to make our offerings more clear to you before you checked in, and hope that you will keep our hotel in mind when your future needs are for an accommodation like ours.

Feedback received as yours will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

When I checked into this hotel I dropped my business card into the fishbowl to win a free night on a future date. After a couple of days I went back downstairs and fished my card out of the bowl....

1) With a 4 person troop (2 adults and 2 kids under 3) we were assigned to a room on the 2nd floor. This non-smoking room happened to be below the wing of the 3rd floor which is still smoking. The ventilation system was working so well that the smoke from the 3rd floor was being reidrected into our room on the second floor. The kids were having very difficult times sleeping so we requested a new room. We also were missing a pan in this room... Ever cooked bacon with a pot?

2) We were moved to a new room. While this had a much better smell and no incoming smoke, there were a couple of new problems. First, there aparrently wasn't enough color in the room so somewhere along the line someone decided to spruce up the place with red dye (possibly hair dye) on the rug at random intervals in the room and bathroom. Second, the refridgerator was never working. With the dial turned up to five, my cheese ended up disgusting.

With all of the awesomeness of this experience, I decided to leave after my pre-paid week was up and go to a different hotel for the rest of my time here in Minnesota.... Along with my business card which will hopefully win me a free lunch at some restaurant instead.

Room Tip: 1) Rooms numbered greater than x25 are going to have smoke infiltration from the 3rd floor wing that...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Minneapolis - Maple Grove. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the condition of your room. Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Only certain rooms are designated as smoking rooms, the rest as non-smoking. Yet as stated the ventilation of your room seemed to be poor. For this I offer your my apologies and asure you we will be looking into this to emsure situations as such do not occur again in the future.

In regards to your comments about the issues with the Refrigerator, we have inspected all in-room refrigerators and made any necessary repairs to ensure that we don't have a repeat of your particular incident in the future. I can assure you that we will continue to maintain strict quality control measures, and would like to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maple Grove
Asteria Inn & Suites
Asteria Inn & Suites
#7 of 8 in Maple Grove
La Quinta Inn & Suites Minneapolis Northwest

Been to Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Maple Grove? Share your experiences!