“Great breakfast!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We ate here at about 9:00 on a Wednesday morning. Upon entering the restaurant and seeing the 2-sided fireplace and the comfortable wood decor,, we decided the building had previously been an up-scale restaurant. The hostess said no, they were the first restaurant in the building. We were surprised at the large menu, consisting of MANY kinds of pancakes and crepes. We decided on a baked apple pancake and cherry crepes. The pancake was huge, and very tasty, with large slices of Apple and the right amount of cinnamon. The bottom crust was a little doughy, but not overly so. The cherry crepes were delicious, with tart cherries and very thin crepes. They were not covered in sweet syrupy sauce as is too often done, only cherries and whipped cream. There were three large crepes. We took enough of both dishes home for the next day's breakfast! We will definitely look for OPH restaurants again as we travel!

1  Thank BillandPatinDuluth

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Food is consistently good. The staff takes very good care of you. Call ahead to get your name on the list to move you to the head of the line of people waiting when you arrive.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We were out running errands and were close to the Maple Grove Original Pancake House. The Happy Husband has been wanting to try the Original Pancake House for a couple of years, and even though I have eaten there I figured it was good to participate in his experience... Having tried to stop and eat at various OPH locations and just weren't up for waiting in the hugely long lines -- it's breakfast food and we're just not that patient. Today we noticed there weren't too many cars in the lots area and took a chance, it paid off we walked right in.

We were greeted and seated promptly and the rest of the folks in the restaurant were made up of the over 50 crowd and business people. It is a fairly open space, so it would be loud if there were lots of people and children in the space.

The coffee at Old Pancake House is always good, and today was no exception. We ordered the 49er pancakes which are ultra-thin and come in a regular (3 cakes) and short stack option. These 'cakes are HUGE so consider that when you are ordering. The Happy Husband also ordered bacon -- sides seem to mostly be a la carte -- and it was okay, not spectacular but good enough. I ordered the Irish Omelet and it was huge. A little too rich for my preferences, but the dogs loved the meal when I brought it home for them.

For breakfast food, I always find OPH to be too expensive, and based on my years-and-years-and-years of traveling I have a good idea of what things cost. Here's a breakdown so you can make your own decision about the value of the meal.

$5.20 - 2 coffees ($2.60/each)
$4.75 - bacon (3 slices)
$8.95 - 49ers Pancakes (3 each)
$12.75 - Irish Omelet
$31.65 - SUBTOTAL
$2.30 - for the Great State of Minnesota
$33.95 - Food and Tax TOTAL
$6.05 - Tip
$40.00 - Breakfast TOTAL

The Happy Husband wanted the experience, and got it. We won't be working too hard to go back again.

1  Thank RileyRants
Reviewed February 6, 2014

One of my favorite breakfast spots in the Twin Cities, good service, fantastic food, and lovely atmosphere. I will continue to come here! They also have delicious lunches!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I honestly don't understand the fuss about the Original Pancake House. It's ok, but there are a variety of Twin Cities breakfast places that are their equal and many of these are less expensive.

What do they do right? Their service is generally exceptional. Coffee is good as well, if you like the stronger stuff. There are some "foofoo" items that my wife, mother and sisters like, such as the stuffed crepe and flavored pancakes.

What's average or worse? Waiting time can be extreme. Call ahead for a time to come when a table will be waiting for you. It's crowded. In many areas the tables are very close to each other. This leads to a lot of noise at times, too. The menu is limited for mainstream food choices. Many breakfast places offer far more combination type meals. The Original isn't cheap. A small side of hash browns was something like $4.50. Unfortunately, almost every time I come here I find myself needing to order one or two sides because they're not offered as part of the meal. At times, this INCREASES the cost of my breakfast by nearly $10! It's a chain - don't we have enough chain restaurants already?

The Original is has a lot of unique products, but is expensive and their portion size is small. Maybe this is why my wife and mother like it (the food is different from our usual breakfast places), yet I can still walk away still hungry after spending at least five dollars more than most chain and local breakfast-oriented restaurants. I once was completely full after eating at the old Wayzata location, but it cost just over $20 with tip for my food. I find that unacceptable. At least they finally put hash browns on the menu (at least at the Maple Grove location). For years, you couldn't even get that.

1  Thank 1960Corvette