“Underwhelmed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Original Pancake House
Ranked #6 of 117 Restaurants in Maple Grove
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“Underwhelmed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

I honestly don't understand the fuss about the Original Pancake House. It's ok, but there are a variety of Twin Cities breakfast places that are their equal and many of these are less expensive.

What do they do right? Their service is generally exceptional. Coffee is good as well, if you like the stronger stuff. There are some "foofoo" items that my wife, mother and sisters like, such as the stuffed crepe and flavored pancakes.

What's average or worse? Waiting time can be extreme. Call ahead for a time to come when a table will be waiting for you. It's crowded. In many areas the tables are very close to each other. This leads to a lot of noise at times, too. The menu is limited for mainstream food choices. Many breakfast places offer far more combination type meals. The Original isn't cheap. A small side of hash browns was something like $4.50. Unfortunately, almost every time I come here I find myself needing to order one or two sides because they're not offered as part of the meal. At times, this INCREASES the cost of my breakfast by nearly $10! It's a chain - don't we have enough chain restaurants already?

The Original is has a lot of unique products, but is expensive and their portion size is small. Maybe this is why my wife and mother like it (the food is different from our usual breakfast places), yet I can still walk away still hungry after spending at least five dollars more than most chain and local breakfast-oriented restaurants. I once was completely full after eating at the old Wayzata location, but it cost just over $20 with tip for my food. I find that unacceptable. At least they finally put hash browns on the menu (at least at the Maple Grove location). For years, you couldn't even get that.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 1960Corvette

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Food, Horrible Service and Waits”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

OPH has great food and drinks but you pay the price of horrible waits and it just happened that are visit was not enjoyable. We went out for a birthday party and made a reservation (they only do that for birthday parties, but you can call ahead). When we got there, we told them that we had a reservation for a birthday party but they said that they din't take it and we were told 10 minutes but it was a half wait. Then we finally seated, we ordered and drinks. We got the food before the drinks and we seated in front where you get the cold and the foot traffic. The one in Plymouth, MN is better. If you think this is helpful please vote!

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Saint Cloud, Florida
“Great place to meet friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Love this restaurant. Love meeting my friends there to catch up.
Great location!! Every kind of pancake you can think of. My favorite is Potato Pancakes with apple sauce. Yummy!

Friendly, great service.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Diane F
Colorado
“Wow, didn't know places like this existed anymore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Classic pancake house. Fabulous food. The ambiance isn't great, but its adequate. The staff is quite pleasant and clearly you come here for the food. Potato pancakes were like grandma used to make. Huge portions. Will definitely be back.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank TabernashColorado
Minneapolis
“Breakfast & lunch only - but it's terrific casual dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

The pancake restaurant is is in suburban strip mall with plenty of parking. Inside the decor is of a very nicely decorated family restaurant. The breakfast menu is available all day and there's a lunch menu of hot and cold sandwiches, burgers, salads, etc.

But it's the breakfast menu that draws people in. Pancakes, waffles and crepes, including most available gluten free. And there are dozens of them. Now add souffle omelets and eggs and there's more. And it's all very, very good.

The service is excellent but be prepared for a possibly long wait to be seated on weekends. No reservations but here's a TIP - call ahead up to 90 minutes early and they'll put on the list.

Is it worth it? Since discovering this restaurant 2 months ago, I've taken family there five times.

• Visited May 2013