“Historic Restaurant with good food!”
Review of The Hubbell House

The Hubbell House
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Owatonna, Minnesota
“Historic Restaurant with good food!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

First off, I have to let you know that the spelling of the restaurant is wrong...it should be: Hubbell, not Hubble. I couldn't find it when I wanted to write about it and discovered the wrong spelling. You might want to change that. Secondly, this restaurant is very good. A lot of famous people and not so famous people have eaten here over their many years in business. As some of the other reviews have said, it is a little bit spendy, but well worth it. They do have an early bird menu from 4-5:30 if you're looking for less expensive and not so crowded. It is a great place to go for a special occasion or just a nice dinner out. We went on a Thursday night and it was quite busy...although a big charter bus had just pulled up as we left...good thing we were there before they came. Their special was bbq ribs that night and my husband loved them. I just liked them...too much sauce. I loved the beer battered shrimp that was one of the options that came with 1/2 rack. Our waiter was not so good. He wasn't friendly at all and his main objective was to get you in and out as fast as he could. But, all in all, it was a very good dinner. Next time, we might try just eating in the bar area...more informal.

• Visited February 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Excellent service, good food...”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I had never heard of the Hubble House until last weekend. But while in town I was prompted to try it and had heard it was 'the best restaurant in Minnesota'. The service was excellent and I was impressed to see a separate gluten free menu - with a lot of options! The food was good (I had broiled scallops and Brussels sprouts). Both were very good, but the scallops were very bland. I should note that I do like things spicy so when the scallops only had a little bit of paprika on them I knew it wasn't going to be enough (but they did bring me more paprika right away).
Like I said, the food was very good, and my friend loved it (she doesn't like things that spicy) and when in the area I will definitely go back. But next time I may see if I can convince the chef to add something more to the scallops for more flavor.

• Visited February 2013
Kasson, Minnesota
“Make the drive out of Rochester”
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I live close by and eat here almost weekly. Never disappointed and had many items on the menu. Make a reservation to avoid waiting. Excellent staff, old school dining experience can't be beat. Pork ribs are my favorite. Prime rib special on Saturday can't be beat, generous portion for the price. All apps are great, well known for onion rings and cheese curds but should promote deep fried mushrooms and stuffed mushrooms more.

Bluffton
“DISAPPOINTING”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Hubble House is interesting. It has a long and varied history. It has played host to a number of rich and famous guests. Unfortunately, its reputation built on past glories, sets an expectation that the current iteration is unable to meet. My wife and I tried it for lunch. I had the chef salad and my wife had the chicken with raspberry sauce. In saying the food was average I am being kind. Also the service left a lot to be desired. Since this was our first experience with Hubble House I did not want to write a negative review without checking with some of the locals. I spoke to two people who have eaten at Hubble House many times over the years. One person thought the restaurant had slipped a little but was still pretty good. The other thought the restaurant had slipped a lot and was running on its reputation. In fairness I would say if you find yourself in Mantorville and want to checkout the famous Hubble House do so, but if you are going to eat there keep your expectations low.l

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank gmathual
West Concord, Minnesota, United States
“My all time favorite”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This restaurant is about 10 miles from my house. I go when I can afford to do so and need to treat myself well. I have tried almost every thing on the menu and have not found any thing that I did not think was out of this world good. I am treated as if I am royalty by the wait staff and it is not a long wait to get the food. I love the historic aspect of it and could go on and on about how much I love it all.

• Visited December 2012