“Not too shaby”

Mankato City Center Hotel
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Mankato
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed here during our yearly trip to Mankato to enjoy the fall colors and relive our youth (we both went to college around here). Our usual hotel was full, as was pretty much everything else due to it being "parents" weekend at MSU Mankato. The room was small, but the a/c worked well, the windows opened! (A rare find in a hotel), had a fridge and microwave. It has been updated nicely for a more modern look than the candid photos show- the ones the hotel posted are accurate. Linens smelled faintly of bleach (which makes me happy!) Bed is pretty hard- but I am spoiled by my bed at home, pillows excellent, gave a buy one get one free drinks at the bar coupon, has a continental breakfast with real food, Price was comparable to everything else this weekend- which did seem high at 115 +tax for the size of the room, but when it's this busy its a supply and demand. Staff has been very friendly, love the underground parking. Room was fairly quiet for the number of people I saw wandering the halls... My biggest complaint is a location issue- when the trains go by next to the building and whistle for what seems like 20 mins at 5am it's hard to fall back asleep. (Possibly our fault for the open window too). I would stay here again, no complaints against the hotel at all!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mattie E, General Manager at Mankato City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Thank you for staying with us, I am glad you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have stayed here twice in 2 years, always around the same dates in March. My husband and I play in the dart tournament that takes place at the Verizon Civic Center and since this hotel is connected it is quite convenient. The rooms were always fairly clean and the beds have been on the better side of those that we have slept in at hotels. When the hotel is booked to capacity it is quite noisy. The staff have been friendly, but parking is very tight in the parking ramp. The room rates have always been too high for my liking, but I guess you pay for the convenience of being right downtown.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Mankato City Center Hotel is a former Holiday Inn. Rooms are small but clean. Stairway smells like a farm yard. We used the conference room which were load when the air system turned on. You could also smell the farm yard when the air moved in the room. Food was excellent. Nice location.

Room Tip: It's an ok Hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Scot U
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The name and the rather high price suggest that the management wants to present the Mankato City Center Hotel as a sophisticated downtown hostelry. Really, now, it's Mankato, and the hotel is a chain motel in just about every respect, from the beds to the tackiest 1970s hallway carpet I've ever seen. Free self-parking isn't in a surface lot but in a ramp under the hotel. The restaurant was closed when I was there, but there was meal service in the bar (dark, noisy, hot; the fish was surprisingly good, though). Breakfast was what breakfast is in chain motels. It's worth taking two minutes to cross the street, both to gaze at the Minnesota River and to visit the tiny Reconciliation Park, the site where 38 Dakota Indians were hanged in 1862 after skirmishes on what was then the frontier.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We were in Mankato for the RibFest and Loverboy concert at Vetterstone Amplitheater. We asked for a quiet area of hotel since we are not party people. They put us on top floor (4th). Nice quiet end room that was a king bed. the room was very modern and clean. We were impressed with the updated furniture. They give you a ticket for 2 for 1 in their lounge. The free breakfast in the restaurant was very nice.
Free underground parking in their ramp.
The hotel is in a great location for Ribfest or the concerts at the outdoor VetterStone Amplitheater. There were the Vikings fans, cheerleading practice and a wedding, etc. going on in the hotel, but not a bad crowd. Very good stay. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: This is a great hotel. Ask for which room you want to be in they are accommodating. Pool side, quiet...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mattie E, General Manager at Mankato City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! I hope you will decide to stay with us again next time you are in the Mankato area!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We came to town to see the fireworks at the Riverfront Park in Mankato. We wanted a hotel close to that attraction. I'm so glad we picked this one. We got the queen suite for a sweet deal as most people camping on the 4th of July. I just asked if we could get a lower rate and the manager on duty was glad to negotiate with me. Amanda was professional and friendly. The room was huge and we loved it! The spa and pool area was large and well maintained. The restaurant and lounge were closed due to the holiday but we knew that in advance and had no trouble finding places to eat downtown. The cleanliness of the room was adequate, not excellent. Small details make the difference, The room attendants could be paying more attention to those details like drips on chair legs spots on the walls, dirt behind the toilet...For that reason, I will give my rating a 4 rather than a 5. Breakfast was OK, the usual continental fare. Overall, great stay!

Room Tip: We loved our queen suite Room 301!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Styaed here for a wedding weekend. Very disappointed in value for the price. Having stayed in a variety of hotels over time I was intersted to see what kind of place this was for the money. I was very disappointed! Teh continental breakfast was something that I would normally see at a low end hotel with do it yourself waffles, milk, juice, small mini donuts, tiny danish pieces and oranges for the only fruit. The syrup for the waffles was empty and it took over 5 min. for ther staff to bring another bottle ( not in a dispener but full bottle) once told of it (this happened an hour before the end of it).
Had our 1 free drink in the bar (buy one and get one), ordered chips and cheese to snack on the chips were stale!
The decor of the room seemed dark and dated. Pool was nice but more on the order of an older Holiday Inn (which it used to be ).
Front desk staff was friendly which was the best part of the whole stay!

I would stay at one of the other hotels in the city nex time, which for about the same price, I heard was much better!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family