“Passable”

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Mankato
Maple Grove, Minnesota
“Passable”
Reviewed April 11, 2011

It's easy to recognize this hotel as an updated Holiday Inn Holidome, with the large interior pool area. For families with small children, that can be a big plus; for us it meant a degree of noise, that did quiet down after 11:00PM but started right up at 7:00AM again. The sliding door was not mounted in its tracks properly, and allowed a lot of sound to pass. Otherwise the room was clean and fine. Sheltered parking under the hotel was appreciated. The rate was good for the area. The hotel is rated a 3* at several travel booking sites, but only because of the on-site restaurant; it is not as nice as other 2.5* hotels in the area. We arrived near the end of the continental breakfast period; all supplies were depleted and the serving area was a mess. I couldn't even get a good hot coffee. Disappointed.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
jmadamson, General Manager at Mankato City Center Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
I appreciate your input so we can use your review to improve. I’m sorry to hear you were disappointed in your stay with us. You are correct. We were built as a Holiday Inn. In 2009, we dropped the Holiday Inn franchise and went independent. You are right in that families do love the big open pool area but it can be a problem for noise. Our staff and security do an excellent job on reducing and eliminating the noise level after 11pm. Unfortunately, there are some guests who are not considerate of other guests in the hotel.

We are rated 3 stars by AAA Travel, which is based on the services we provide to our guests. We have a full service restaurant and lounge that provides room service. We also have banquet and meeting space that we provide catering to. One way we are different from other 3 star hotels is the free continental breakfast we provide daily to out guests. We now offer free continental breakfast to our guests and have had very positive feedback on that. We replenish the continental breakfast as needed and keep the area neat. If you are looking for something more substantial than continental breakfast, we give our guests a choice to order food fresh from a menu at a discounted rate instead of the continental breakfast.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Stayed here 1 night for a nearby wedding. We picked a mid-range hotel because we were bringing our 2-year-old- my spouse and I are used to staying in low-range hotels, but kids explore everything.
The beds were of good quality. The bedding is nice. The pop machine down the hall costs $1.75/ea. Widescreen tvs. Underground parking with elevator. Continental breakfast had waffle machine, juice, cereal, toast, pastries. My spouse is diabetic and was able to order a skillet, but it was $10, the steak was rare, (which I like,) but I couldn't eat it- it was terribly blad. Pool goes from 3'8" to 8'- pretty small pool. Hot tub is said to be kept very hot, but I didn't try it. Pool temp was on the chilly side.
What disturbs me- I took a relaxing bath, and when I got out, I looked at the shower wall- someone else's long black hair was smeared across the back shower wall. Makes you wonder if the wash the tub at all? Or th sheets or towels? Ick!
Told the front desk. Got an apology. Sorry doesn't always cut it....

• Stayed April 2011
jmadamson, General Manager at Mankato City Center Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I have already talked to housekeeping about the hair on your shower wall. I assure you, our housekeepers do a thorough job to clean the rooms. We also ensure every room has fresh, clean sheets and towels. Once the room is cleaned, we have someone assigned to check every room before we rent it out again. If there was a problem with your room, we would have been happy to give you a different room. When you tell us the morning you checkout, there isn’t much we can do about it at that point. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience. We have one of the largest hotel pools in town that is 30,000 gallons of water and 8 ft on the deep end. We maintain the pool water temperature at a comfortable 85 degrees and the hot tub is maintained at 104 degrees.
Reviewed March 6, 2011

Love the new look. Great value for the price. Prime location for downtown and Verizon center. The staff goes above and beyond to ensure you have a great stay. The food at the restaurant is great. If you are every in Mankato do try this hotel. I would recommend this place to all my friends and family.

• Stayed February 2011
jmadamson, General Manager at Mankato City Center Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
Thank you for the nice comments and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. As you noticed, all our guest rooms have been newly renovated. We will be renovating our public areas including our restaurant very soon which will make your future stay even better. Our staff does a wonderful job in going the extra mile for our guests to ensure their stay is the best it can be. Thank you again for taking the time to fill out this survey.
san diego, ca
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Really comfortable bed and one of the best hotel hot-tubs I've seen. Location is fairly central and hotel has its own underground car park. Nice and quiet. Had a good nights sleep, and a good breakfast too.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Nice decor, great center pool area, impressive service. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 14, 2009

Checked in hours early free of charge and was able to get a smoking room! Hotel is just starting to show its age but it was VERY clean and the staff was the MOST HELPFUL and professional group of people I have encountered at any hotel. The location was perfect, walked everywhere even though parking was free. The microwave in the room was perfect for late night snacks when all the restaurants in town were closed. No fridge so bring a cooler! We didn't use any hotel services (pool, room service, happy hour lounge) so I can't comment on that. But I have to admit I left a small stash of cash in the room (no safe) and forgot it when I checked out and I received it in the mail the very next day. I was very impressed with how they handled that situation because in these tough economic times, I can imagine how easy it would have been to pocket that money. I have forgotten things (and some of lesser value) in hotels before and never had them returned or the issue resolved, so this was a great relief / surprise! Even if the money hadn't been returned to me, it still would have been a GREAT stay because I had no one to blame for my mistake, except for myself. Having a safe in the room would have helped though! Will definitely be back the next time I'm in Mankato!! Not a cpmplaint about this stay, probably the best overall hotel experience I've ever had and I use to work for one!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed May 18, 2009

This hotel is in desperate need of a remodel. The rooms and common areas were worn. I had a room that had a window to the hotel pool area and it was very loud for a few hours as a birthday party was going on. Luckily it was quite after the party ended. The fitness eqipment was adequate but the room could use some updating. The beds weren't too comfortable and I didnt feel that the room was very clean. In one of the beds there seemed to be nail clippings. Yuck. The room was pretty cheap but even for the low price, I wouldn't stay there again. I must mention thought that the staff was very friendly and helpful and really went above and beyond.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
mwilmes, Manager at Mankato City Center Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2010
We listen to our guests and thank you for your comments. It gives us an opportunity to improve our product, which is exactly what we've done. We recently completed a $1.3 million guestroom remodel in preparation for our name change from Holiday Inn to the Mankato City Center Hotel which occurred on October 1, 2010. We hope you'll come back and see the improvements we've made or check them out on our website.