“Horrible service overshadowed pretty good food”

Shogun sushi and hibachi
Ranked #32 of 167 Restaurants in Mankato
Reviewed March 17, 2019

We arrived about 5:30 on a Saturday evening. The place was busy & extremely loud. Our server promptly to took our drink orders. It was all downhill from there.

It took a good 10 minutes for our waters to come. My wife got lemons instead of the limes requested. About 30 minutes after we ordered we still no soup or salad. It was busy and we were catching up with our daughter so no big deal, yet I knew something was wrong. After a few more minutes I asked server where our apps were. He had an "a ha" look and returned with them.

35-40 minutes later he brought our daughter's meal and that of the table next to us that arrived much later than we did. No mention to us about other 2 meals. 10 minutes later I asked where our food was. He said he kept checking and it wasn't ready. I asked to talk to a manager. Seeing him ignore that request and go about his work I went to the hostess stand and asked for the manager. She left and came back with out food within a couple minutes. She apologized, said a chef was sick and they were short handed, though we were the only ones affected.

She gave us 20% off, which in retrospect probably wasn't enough. Had we not been catching up with our daughter we hadn't seen for awhile I would have been much more upset. The food was good, not great, certainly not worth an hour an a half wait. Might go back if we're in town again, as anyone can have a bad night, but the server's lack of attention and seeming indifference to our situation is certainly not good.

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed June 6, 2018 via mobile

You will definitely not be disappointed by the sushi here, though it is a little pricy. During Happy Hour, though, everything is half-price! I ordered edamame and miso soup as appetizers as well as Spicy Salmon and California Dynamite sushi (California Dynamite comes with seaweed salad on top), and the total (15% tip included) was $17.20. Everything was fabulous!

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed January 5, 2018 via mobile

The service was great! And the atmosphere is wonderful. They have awesome sushi! They have very good happy hour specials in the afternoon and again starting at 8:00 pm on drinks and appetizers.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed August 2, 2017 via mobile

We went there a few days ago. Food is ok. Service is really slow. Even when they were not busy, they seemed to take their own sweet time to take the order. They don't have any Japanese beer.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed July 23, 2017

I was in town in Mankato and saw online they opened at noon on a Sunday. I called shortly after noon to make sure that they had the hibachi table available at the time and I was told they did. I told them I would drive over, which I did. When I got there, they refused to serve me because they said you had to have two to sit at the hibachi table. They never said anything about that on the phone and I drove all the way over. I told them that and they still refused to serve me at the hibachi table. Obviously, I will never return to a restaurant that treats somebody like that. I then went to Tokyo Sushi and Hibachi nearby and, while they didn't have hibachi tables going at that time, my meal was fine. So I will go there in the future and not Shogun.

Date of visit: July 2017

Been to Shogun sushi and hibachi? Share your experiences!